Used 2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:

Great automobile, lousy customer support
By pablo3031

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I purchased a new 2012 Cayenne turbo, wonderful piece of machinery. Design, looks, ride and engine all great. Brakes have been an issue, 4 visits to dealer resulted in new rotors and pads at roughly 15,000 miles due to unbearable squeaking noise, still persists. Dealer has confirmed, Porsche rep confirmed and has said that thats the way it is. I have been waiting for a call back from dealer for 4 weeks now, nothing. For a purchase of $130K I expect more from a customer service standpoint.

Favorite Features

Engine is silky smooth but incredibly fast when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Correct brake issue but more importantly instill importance of dealer / Porsche USA communication to customer. My Turbo will be traded for another brand within the next several months once new model is available from competitor because dealer and Porsche USA are far to busy to call me back. Porsche has lost a customer, not due to car issue but lack of communication.

2012 Cayenne Turbo
By mgustaplay

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Self-admitted, car-research guy. Brought this beast in Mar '12. Traded '08 911 4s; needed 4 doors and back seats (3 teenagers and complaining wife). Ubmer, two-tone leather, 21" turbo whls, sprt, premium, steel skids, Burmester - $130k (4% dsct off MSRP). Mixed impressions. The Good: Super fast, sounds great, corners like no other, beautiful interior, roomy enough for four (five is tight), pano roof is awesome, sport mode changes character of car. The Mixed: oil leak first week (bad "o" ring in mftg build); the breaks squeak when coming to stop (not subtle squeak; very loud; service says it is a reality of these cars); Exterior styling is just OK. For $130k I want only positives.

Favorite Features

Interior is unparalleled. Passengers and Valets are always positively commenting. You get used to all the buttons and possible configurations in short order. The driving characteristics are fantastic. This is why you buy Porsches. Pronounced difference when Sport mode is engaged - louder, tighter, faster. Entrance and exit ramps are always a fun time to test the limits, which I have not found yet. Very comfortable for four people. Throw in a fifth and it gets tight in back. The trunk is reasonable. I can get four sets of clubs with no issue. Also, surprisingly, a compact car. I can carefully maneuver it into a 8 foot wide, side turn garage door. My wife's MDX doesn't fit.

Suggested Improvements

1.) Break squeaking. Frankly, it's embarrassing pulling up to stop sign / light and having this car squeal. My Porsche guy told me to get it up to 50 mph and then jam the breaks. Do this three times and it warms up the break and the noise stops. No thanks. Here's a suggestion . . . fix the break compound. 2.) Exterior styling. I think the Range Rover Evoque looks more interesting. Maybe some more pronounced flairs, more dramatic engine hood, more rakish roof line? Porsche designers can do a better job. If they can get the exterior to match the interior . . . game over. Net-Net: not sure if I will keep it. Like I said, mixed emotions.

first impressions of v6 cayenne
By bigleadfoot

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Tiptronic 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Just bought my first porsche and my first SUV. Here are the specs/options for my v6 Cayenne: 8-speed automatic panoramic sunroof running boards, roof rails, and trailer hitch adjustable suspension with PASM heated seats and steering wheel

Favorite Features

Driving impressions: I love the sport engine mode and sport suspension setting! This 2 ton behemoth brakes, corners, and accelerates like a sports car even with a v6. The most comfortable suspension setting for me is actually sport. Ironically, the comfort and normal suspension modes are actually less comfortable for me: suspension is noisy over bumps and the car feels like a boat. If I need brisk acceleration, I press the sport button and this v6 rockets me out of trouble with ease. When I want relaxed/economical driving, I disengage sport engine mode, but still keep the suspension in sport. I love the dashboard design full of buttons. Heated seats and steering wheel are also wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise and vibration are rather noticeable at idle. Switching between 2nd & 3rd gears can be jerky at times, but otherwise the auto transmission is rather good. Rear visibility is awful. A rear view camera might be a worthy option. Some cabin squeaks may be audible at times when driving over rough pavement. The most bizzarre squeak in my car is the passenger seatbelt buckle. I eliminate this squeak by pushing it down between the seat and center console. Otherwise, this car is a marvel of engineering.

3 months in.
By haap62

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Wow! This is the 1st car I've spent 6 figures on, and so far, so amazing! No issues as I would expect for 3k miles. It was very difficult to keep the RPM's below 4000 for the first 1000 miles. It drives like a Cadilac when you are just cruising, and roars off like a tiger on steroids when you ask it to. Plus we are averaging 18mpg in town and 21 hwy. Not bad for 500 HP. It replaced a very nice Landcruiser that on it's best day got 17mpg, with half the horse power. The interior is more luxurious than any other car I have owned. I love the seats 18way adjustable bolsters fit wonderful, and I'm a big guy. Long story short, I love this SUV. Mine is black with 21" black wheels. Lots of stares

Favorite Features

Power, and comfort. 10 of 10

Suggested Improvements

None yet, but I'll keep updating.

Fun to Drive...!
By rgpitt

2012 Porsche Cayenne SUV S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl 8A)

After doing lot of reasearch finally got my new Cayenne S and this is the best car I have driven so far. If you like good ride go with Porsche. I recommend going V8 rather than V6. I test drove V6 but I was not happy for the price. Its better get ML 350 with V6. so far its been almost a month every one likes the car.

Favorite Features

Drive,PCM Module, Park Assist,Navigation, Panoromic Roof

Suggested Improvements

Compared to ML and others tech features are really low. If you are looking for completely tech I recommend ML 350. No Active Blind spot monitoring.Competitors like Benz offers lot more features for less price.