Used 2011 Porsche Cayenne Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

2011 Porsche Cayenne

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:

Nice improvement
By choocho

2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

My last car was '04 Cayenne TT. This TT is definitely a much improved car. From being almost a ton lighter (helps maneuverability and speed) , 8 gears (quiet shift and the right gear at any speed), starts from 1st gear instead of 2nd (lighter gear box and better launch), PCCB (no break dust but still squeeks a bit), PDCC (keep turns level), vented sports seats, 4.6 seconds, touch screen navigation, and the list goes on... Still waiting to take this car to an autocross.

Favorite Features

The smooth killer acceleration. You can't feel how fast you are going because at 90mph, you are at only 2,000 rpm on 8th gear.

Suggested Improvements

1) You don't get respect from others on the road because the car is too pretty and the back look like other SUVs. 2) Don't open the back hatch during rain because all the rain goes back into your car. 3) This car eats more motor oil than gasoline - 1 quart for every 700 miles. 4) No place to put the huge owners manual with the little glove box. 5) What, I need another new set of tires before I get my oil change?

Confused SUV
By itzsyk

2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Had this car for 5 months now, and I still regret not test driving it before signing the papers. Just got out of a RRS so I thought I'd give the Cayenne a try. The car is stupid fast. Almost to the point where driving at limit speeds is very boring. But the biggest thing that gets me is....what is it? It's not an SUV and it certainly isn't a 911. I'd rather go with a RR or X5 next time because if I wanted a sport car, I'd go pick up a proper 2dr. Also, the Cayenne felt very similar to the Panamera, which in my opinion, does not know if it's a sedan or a sports car as well.

Favorite Features

60mph @ top gear: 1.4k rpm. Amazing. There is no turbo lag and the transmission is so responsive it downshifts almost as quick as a dual-clutch. The factory settings on the PASM do a great job to supply the driver with the proper set-up. The new center console borrowed from the Panamera was the biggest selling point for me. Great gear/button placement.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is way too small. Can barely fit a golf travel bag diagonally. There is no easy-entry button to lower the car like the RR. The rear-view mirror and the outside mirror seems to be borrowed from the 911, which makes it difficult to see anything without turning your head. The rear-camera module was not available with the car at delivery, so I waited 5 months for it. Really Porsche..really? Regardless of the situation at the manufacturer, you delayed the delivery way too long.

2011 Cayenne V6 Manual
By thefaithful

2011 Porsche Cayenne 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Exceptional. Value, comfort, power, fuel efficiency, what's not to like. I have owned and loved the following vehicles: '50 Pontiac business coupe, 3-speed '61 Sunbeam Alpine, 4-speed '64 Pontiac GTO HT, 4-speed '66 Plymouth 2-door HT, 4-speed '60 Jaguar XK150, auto '64 Studebaker Avanti, auto '67 Volvo P1800, 4-speed '72 AMC Hronet, 4-speed '74 Fiat 128, 4-speed '76 Fiat 131, 4-speed '69 Alfa spider, 4-speed '79 Pontiac Grand Am, auto '83 Chevrolet S10 Blazer, 5-speed '84 Porsche 944, 5-speed '86 Alfa Alfeta, 5-speed '89 Ford SHO, 5-speed '87 Jeep Cherokee, 5-speed '80 911SC, 5-speed '97 Ford Expedition, auto '06 VW GTI, 6-speed '63 Porsche 356, 4-speed '11 Porsche Cayenne, 6-speed man

Favorite Features

Ordering the Cayenne last July 2010, the short list of options was a no brainer. The standard fare is more than one could have wished for, but then there was the locking rear axle, the underbody skid plates, extra air bag protections for the rear passengers, the trailer towing package, the light package, and the PSM for stability management. Anything else would have detracted form the pleasure of the thing. I love the sounds from the engine and transmission. We love the feel and security of the seats, the lap of luxury for our rear seat passengers, the auto lift and closure rear door, sounds from the standard audio and radio system, the calm and firm standard suspension, the whole thing.

Suggested Improvements

None I want to mention. Maybe a little more tension on the shift lever, but not much, really.

this car loves oil
By sc1982

2011 Porsche Cayenne S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl 8A)

I have 12,000 miles on this car, drive it mostly as a sedan (no pulling or racing around). The gas milage is terrific (21mpg around town and 23-24 on hwy). the car performs great, very comfortable and has very good breaking. The problem is that it likes to drink oil.. I have had to put 6 qts of oil in the car so far. > 1qt for every 2K miles. I am not the only one , there are 11 pages on Renslist concerning this issue. Porche's 24 page service bulletin concerning this problem is also posted. The first 12 basically instruct the dealer to tell the customer {the manual states up to one quart / 1K miles is within normal limits}. REALLY???? until Porsche fixes this issue Buyer Beware

Favorite Features

comfort, handling, performs as a sports sedan, braking, nav and stereo system, cooling seats, supportive seats

Suggested Improvements

Porsche must address and fix the oil consumption issue for this engine. 1 qts per 2K miles is unacceptable. They need to stop burying their heads in the sand. Buyer Beware !!!!! could use a little more carco space, however I knew this prior to the purchase

Great SUV
By ChadJamesR

2011 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

My wife loved the new look of the Cayenne so we decided to purchase one. It has been a great vehicle for the time we have owned it. We bought the VR6 model instead of the V8 as the $14k increase in price didn't seem worth it. The performance of the VR6 is everything you could want out of a SUV. Gas mileage is great at around 23mpg during city driving and up to 27 mpg on trip to the airport. If you want a sporty SUV and still have it practical, I don't know if there is a better vehicle on the market for you. I gave it an 8 for performance as the V8 and TT give the ultimate performance. The ride is a little rough but what do you expect with this good of handling.

Favorite Features

Updated interior, LCD screen in the instrument cluster, handling, navigation system, 8 spd transmission, brakes, steering, IPod interface.

Suggested Improvements

The VR6 could be smoother, but is acceptable. Needs a clock when using navigation. Larger center console would be nice.