2006 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:
second time around
By sonogun on 04/17/14 20:58 PM (PDT)

2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 4dr SUV AWD (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

This 2006 replaced my 2004 turbo. Strangely, it is not as peppy in that the tranny does not adapt quickly enough for your spirited driving mood. This prompted me to put it on an all wheel Dino and it is putting out on the first pull but suffers from heat sink on the second and third pull. My 2004 lost the heating pipes and the Cardon shaft along the way to 100,000 miles where it loss the fuel pumps. During that span I did two brake jobs, replacing rotors both times. My 2006 six had 60,000 when I bought it and after 20.000, I have had zero repair cost.

Cayenne Rocks!
By smcayenne on 05/13/11 15:12 PM (PDT)

2006 Porsche Cayenne S 4dr SUV AWD (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 2006 CPO in 2010 and love it. It has been incredibly reliable and it drives like a sports sedan. It is the perfect size-plenty of room but I don't feel like I'm driving a bus. It is incredibly responsive, great acceleration and power and true 4wd.

A pleasure to drive (6 Cyl)
By Papparaz on 08/22/10 08:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I test drove a 4Runner and an MDX. The Cayenne was just too fun to pass up. I bought used from a dealer who provided additional 2 years CPO warranty. The tiptronic in manual mode gives adequate pep but my wife's Avalon is still faster 0-60. Passes well on the highway. Exhaust note is a nice touch - except when listening to music. No tow bar installed yet but it is planned so hope there is enough power. The park assist option is both handy and annoying but it can be turned off by pushing a button. Everyone seems to agree the cup holders are too small. Can idle rough after cold start if fuel < 93 octane. Overall I just love driving this vehicle and have had no problems after 3 months.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By LOVE THIS CAR!! on 08/16/10 19:15 PM (PDT)

2006 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the Cayenne S Tip after looking for a long time, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money! It has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have had to change the headlights a few times, nothing anyone with a little common sense couldn't do themselves. I have three young children but wasn't ready to give up my need for performance! Handles awesomely, acceleration is amazing. I am in the market for another Porsche, although I don't like the new rear end on the Cayenne's I love the Panamara!!

Very good, but had too high expectations
By MYCAY on 09/27/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Porsche Cayenne 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I agree with the previous posts about light bulbs and transmission, and would add that the V6 is terribly underpowered esp. for the fuel economy. I just had one blinker bulb changed at the dealer at a cost of $80. It's not something I want to play around with myself in this car... the entire headlight assembly has to be removed to change any bulb. The engine is sadly underpowered but the transmission itself is enough to almost ruin the driving experience. I completely agree with the other reviewer who said this Japanese-made tranny does not do the job. I often wonder how Porsche engineers ever thought this engine/tranny combo was worthy of the Porsche badge because, in my opinion, it's not.

Fun to drive
By PAUL on 01/26/09 06:17 AM (PST)

2006 Porsche Cayenne S 4dr SUV AWD (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

In the last two years I've owned two Cayenne S. Things to note the air suspension and panoramic sun roof are worth the money, plus it'll sell easier with them. The reliability however is bellow par! Plan on bringing it in monthly to change every bulb, followed by something else after that.

Fix the tranny
By NABMAN on 07/06/08 21:21 PM (PDT)

2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium Edition 4dr SUV AWD (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

The Cayenne is great. High performance, fast, corners well, luxurious and well built. Excellent performance on the highway but this vehicle has one major problem- the tranny. In the city, it is not nimble enough to weave in and out of traffic. It is hard to control. Too fast or your punching it to switch gears. The acceleration is inconsistent. (I understand they changed this in the 08) The tranny takes forever to decide which gear it should go into and this creates lag. If you are accustomed to high performance cars in the city, you will feel this. Likely to save gas, the tranny shifts up too quickly and down late in normal slow city driving. I have had this reset and am told thats it

Cayenne Titanium Black
By Cayenne06 on 06/01/08 19:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium Edition 4dr SUV AWD (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Very satisfied so far with the Cayenne. Titanium edition features second to none (for the price).

Not for the Timid
By Steve on 05/28/08 17:46 PM (PDT)

2006 Porsche Cayenne S 4dr SUV AWD (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

The car is very fun to drive and handles both city and highway very well. Comfortable, it's not. The car is very stiff as are the seats, and the steering is heavy. I have had a dipped beam problem that does not seem to go away, and I have had it serviced for that twice. I have also had to replace the rear cup holders twice which inexplicably jammed in the console. If you are thinking of the 6 cylinder, then buy an Acura. Porsches are meant to have 8 cylinders. It costs me about $80 to fill the tank these days, so fuel efficient it is definitely NOT.

Not worth the money
By scott on 01/23/08 20:22 PM (PST)

2006 Porsche Cayenne S 4dr SUV AWD (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

The Cayenne is a very heavy sports car to put it kindly. It's not for the daily commute unless you enjoy being bounced around like a basketball. Gas mileage is 11mpg around town with premium. The suspension is so stiff my wife's afraid to drink her coffee on our commute. We have a 4runner that can easily hold it's own with the Cayenne performance wise. My Tundra can easily keep up in a straight line. I know because I have "raced" my buddy while he drives the vehicles listed above. It currently has 17k miles and already has a tail light out. I also don't like the baby cupholders. For 70k get something with comfort and performance...it's not the Cayenne.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.