2005 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:
First Time in Porsche
By 1st Time in Porsche on 01/03/06 20:15 PM (PST)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

After driving five other so called competitors of the Cayenne it was no contest when it comes to performance. As a Corvette driver, I have been spoiled with high end performance car but now that my wife and I will be blessed with a child...it was time to think bigger. The Porsche SUV was not on my initial list but the more I've compared the extra few dollars can be well justified.

Accept No Substitute
By Dave S. on 11/01/05 22:27 PM (PST)

2005 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I had an Infiniti FX35 Infiniti before my Porsche Cayenne. The FX was definitely faster for a V6, but I still think overall it cannot touch the Cayenne for looks or attention to detail.

Awesome car
By Lori from Las Vegas on 10/18/05 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I know that this is considered an SUV, but I think of it more as a car. I have owned many SUVs over the past ten years. I must have an SUV because I occasionally pull a trailer. I have pulled my boat behind it and it pulls great. My dream car was someday owning a Porsche. When your family grows, reality comes into play. With this SUV you can have the best of both worlds. I have owned every other high line SUV and nothing compares to the precision handling that you will experience in the Cayenne.

Nothing Compares To You
By Larry Favre on 09/22/05 07:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

The Cayenne is without a doubt the best performing 'SUV' out there. I put 20" technos with 275 Michelins on mine for non-winter driving (which are specifically designed for this vehicle's suspension and rated at 186 mph) and the Cayenne is transformed to near 911 handling - what a difference, not that the 18" 255's are bad. These tires are a must have for the true performance seeker with $5,000 to spend on great fun. It is hard to get my PSM to kick on, wet or dry, with these on! Aggressive males and females will enjoy the most it has to offer. Why bother otherwise?

Great Vehicle
By dsippin on 09/15/05 14:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned my 2005 Cayenne S for seven months now and could not be happier. I have had absolutely no problems except that the navigation system stopped working right after purchase, the dealer replaced entire PCM system. It is the best handling vehicle that I have ever owned, although ride is a little stiff for touring. I wish I got the adjustable air suspenson option. The V8 engine is fabulous, smooth, and has excellent acceration. It gets acceptable gas mileage. The PCM system with navigation, satellite radio, and Bose sound system are all top notch, although the navigation system is more difficult to use than Acura system. I am happy that I purchased mine with the smooth leather and burl wood options. It has beautiful fit and finish. All in all - this is an excellent vehicle!

One Zesty Pepper
By CrimsonPepper on 09/08/05 09:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first Porsche but not my first SUV. Have had the Yukon, Acura MDX, Lexus LX 470, Cadillac Escalade and desired something sporty with SUV traits. I test drove an S but wanted the extra punch of the Turbo. The dealership worked hard to meet my price demands and satisfaction. This truck is very controllable at all speeds (even at 120). Its engine begs to cowl for you and to be driven fast. I would not advise the Turbo for my wife or a soccer Mom...stick with the S or V6. Mine has burned about a quart of oil since purchase which is consistent to what dealership advised based on how often you lay into the turbo boost. My kids love being dropped off at school in it because most don't know what it is. Much fun!

Sweet Ride
By Thinking on 08/19/05 19:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

No complaints at all 2,000+ miles in. Looked at Caddy SRX, 2006 Mercedes ML350, Lexus RX330 and others. Rides great and it gets a lot of second looks (you don't see one every 10 yards like the Lexus). You can tell its well constructed -- manufactured in Germany -- not like the Mercedes (Alabama). Fantastic dealer experience.

The Homing Pigeon
By Andrew C on 08/13/05 06:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

The Porsche Cayenne S has great driveability for an SUV but sadly we call ours the Homing Pigeon because it spends so much time in the dealer shop. Mostly small warning light problems but also an amazing number of recalls - I think 6 to date, mostly software upgrades. We now have a home in the Canadian boonies and unreliability plus no spare means this car is to be changed for a Lexus LX 470 To be fair the Toronto service shop has been well above average in looking after us but at the end of the day I want the car on the road, not in the shop. BTW the 19" tires are just horrible in snow - I bought an 18" set of rims and dedicated winter Scorpions and then she was great.

A true Porsche
By Hot Pepper on 07/31/05 02:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My wife says this is the only SUV I could've bought; and it's true! Good performance with great handling keeps alive fine Porsche heritage. Manual 6-speed is the only way I'd buy this vehicle, just wish it'd be the V8. Not to take anything away from the Tiptronic, but this is a drivers car, shift it yourself. Not that my wife minds being a passenger - she definitely doesn't. Firm, stable, & comfortable, not floatly; just what I expected. Good hauling capacity - not the biggest in the SUV world, but just fine for our needs. Friends & neighbors love the looks & it always gets positive comments. Installed Porsche factory bike carrier on roof - no wind noise at all. Gotta drive it to enjoy it.

Smooth Ride
By Litacher on 07/25/05 15:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I love it! I have been a Porshe owner for many years and the Cayenne S is great. I sold my Carrera 911 for the Cayenne S. I wish I had done it sooner. It is truly a joy to drive, a serious road car. I travel about 80 miles a day round trip, 5 days a week. The downside to the SUV is the gas mileage.