2005 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:
Loved this car for 4 years and then...
By roy_taylor on 01/22/12 16:42 PM (PST)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I absolutely loved everything about my Cayenne GTS and have been thrilled with it, until this weekend. On a ski trip to Mammoth from LA the transmission has gotten stuck in low range. It wont move up to give me a limited differential and it wont move down to road mode. If I try the 307 mile journey home I have to do it at 50mph. I googled the issue and now find that its a common problem. Porsche roadside assistance is coming tomorrow to get it but wont tow it back to LA only to Fresno. Porsche have totally let ,me down.

DONT BUY
By gavalos on 06/01/11 17:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is one of the WORST vehicles out there do not buy, high price maintenence, broke down in 3 years, oil changes are expensive $1200 + Drive line broke down another $1500 and finally if I want to keep it I have to replace the whole engine after Only Six(6) years or 125000miles for $9346 for a high quality suv please give me a brake Porsche.

Road Warrior
By Matt on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

This car is a road warrior. I have over 100k miles on it and it still runs like it is brand new. It loves the open road, I once drove across Nevada non stop doing well over a 100 mph and felt comfortable, stable and safe. Will buy another one when this one wears out, could be a while.

Cayenne S V8 POWAH!
By Sean on 05/30/10 09:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Ok so i bought this car as a Christmas gift to myself and I have loved it since day one! It's fast sporty and fun to drive. I would have bought the turbo but it has really lag. I have taken the Cayenne off road numerous times and it has held up well. I'm very pleased with this car. Fuel economy is poor but it is a V8 and I'm coming from a V6.

Great performance, poor reliability
By Gustavo on 09/26/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This SUV is a dream to drive. The handling is superb and the feeling of comfort and security are incredible. However, I had to: 1. Reprogram the software several times, 2. Replace a solenoid in the transmission (hard painful "clunk" when decelerating), 3. Replace crankshaft because of defective rubber housing, 4. cheap plastic parts in the interior keep braking at minor touch, 5. PCM2 system screen went bad after 60,000 miles. According to the dealer and my mechanic, all of the above problems seem to be common for the 2005 model. I hope that Porsche is listening. Would I buy another Cayenne again? Absolutely yes. The pleasure of driving one far exceeds the pain of repairing it.

05 Cayenne S after 47,000 miles
By JB on 02/03/09 14:38 PM (PST)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I have the 2005 Cayenne S with 19" wheels. The odometer is about to turn 47,000 miles. I love my Cayenne. It has a few quirks that the the 2nd generation cayenne has addressed such as touchy brakes, Super stiff rear suspension. I have had a few service items that the dealer has address. The best part of owning this car is driving this car. It is a fun car to drive period. The car handles and corners great. The engine sounds cool too. It actually drives like a Porsche. I own a 997 2S. If you like to drive, you need the S, GTS or Turbo version. The 6 cylinder is too underpowered for the car's weight.

Awesome
By bj on 07/16/08 23:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

A perfect car if you can only afford one and a nice addition if you can afford more

Spectacular Cayenne
By PorscheChap on 12/25/07 14:32 PM (PST)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I really love my Cayenne - after driving this vehicle, all other SUVs should be banned from our roads. How dare people make other lame SUVs and try to seel it alongside the Cayenne. The Cayenne is in one word - fantabulous !!! Porsche has done a spectacular job. Thank you I have just achieved Nirvana with this machine!!

Amazing value, amazing car
By Brit on 09/03/07 18:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my first Porsche. I bought a 2 year old Turbo for about half the new price. All I can say is that it has been fantastic and the higher running costs should be more than offset by the fact that it has taken most of its depreciation!

Great Vehicle
By allen on 03/17/07 10:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

This is a really fun vehicle to drive. It is solid and reliable to own. My dealer and Porsche have been very responsive to any problems. It eats gas except for at highway speeds though.