Used 2004 Porsche Cayenne Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:

Not for everyone
By wesrx

2004 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

My Cayenne V6 is wonderful to drive although the acceleration is slow unless you use the manual mode. The handling is superb and road feel is good with quick response to emergency maneuvers. Visibility is good on both sides. It is fun to drive and you do not get tired driving the car for long distances. I am satisfied with my ownership and driving the Cayenne.

I like the taut handling and the rear wheel drive for parking. The audio system is good and did not get the Bose. The AC and heating systems are good and come on quickly. I like the large storage area behind the rear seat. I like console as my after market navigation system hooks up easily.

The gas mileage is good on the road but around town it is poor. Tires do not last too long as I replaced them at 17,000. Tires were expensive too. I think an in dash 6 CD radio is not asking too much. Make the rear seats go flat easier.

Porsche? Never again
By wnorton

2004 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Good day, It's with disappointment that I post my review of my Cayenne. I like driving the car, but I've had a lemon and after wrestling with it for three years, I'm giving up. Three Porsche dealers within 1 hr and I'm on a first name basis with each. I've read other posts and it would appear that '05 or newer might be the fix, but this vehicle has been a nightmare from day one. Fun to drive, and GREAT control in winter weather. Also I would be remiss if I didn't say, I was disappointed in the 6 cyl. I went that way for fuel efficiency and it does well. It's just to much of a sacrifice to give up the 8 cyl.

Handling and control. I like some of the appointments of the car.

Durability and reliability.

Wonderful CS
By enjoyPorsche

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

This is a sports car on steroids. For its size, it should not be possible to move as efficiently when prompted by the right, or even the left, pedal. Interior is beautiful. Nice lines and great color of black with aluminum accents, very sporting. Really do enjoy driving this car every day. Often take this car out on trips over the 996, and not due to the weather. So glad that we decided on Porsche over the VW. Extra payment well worth knowing I'm driving the best of the best. No regrets. Great handling in wet weather.

Really enjoy the nav system, has been quite helpful stepping into the car and being able to point it at any destination and get there efficiently (like the alternate route function for congested freeways). Power and handling are excellent. Got to love the xenons with superior visibility.

Seats fold with a bit too much effort and the headrest supports don't work well with the seats in a position for normal adults. Also leaving seats folded down produces worrying creases in the leather. Rear hatch height is a bit low for taller people.

My Cayenne
By Howard Goodman

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I have my Cayenne for over 3 years and it performs as well today as it did the day I left the dealer. The vehicle holds the road better than any vehicle I have ever driven and give me a feeling of safety. You can drive any other vehicle and no one notices, when you drive your Cayenne everyone notices and wishes they were you.

Heated steering wheel.

The process to fold down the rear seats is cumbersome and difficult. The lumbar support should be recessed as I have broken it off getting in and out of the vehicle.

Wonderful Machine - Cayenne S
By AA

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Having only owned this vehicle for a couple weeks, I already can tell you that it is fantastic. Great level of comfort and convenience from our CS. Have driven new V6 Cayenne, was not impressed with performance ('08 should be better, however) so landed in CPO CS and am so very happy. Wonderful wet weather handling. Feels much lighter than its stats would suggest. Massive brakes also instill confidence and superb braking ability (L.A. accident avoidance maneuver proves it). Recommend fully.

Parktronic still novelty, but great in tight garage. Memory driver/passenger seat is great. Nav is wonderfully helpful toy... just have to trust it at times. Xenons are a must have for me, and they have proven their worth.

Obviously, from the '04 MY to new '08 MY, gas efficiency and power have been improved, what more do you need!