2004 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

2004 Cayenne Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:

Sort Reviews by

best car ever
By Porsche convert

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Great fun to drive in all weather. Extremely sure footed and responsive. No problem driving thru 2 blizzards. I find my journeys take longer as I find excuses to go the long way round.

Favorite Features

Handling and power. navigation system. Trip computer

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth and Ipod capable

V6 Cayenne
By Porsche owner

2004 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased as an intended economical second car. Paid $39K for stripped model with heated seated/steering wheel. Compared against BMW, Volvo, and Audi and decided on Porsche SUV. Just hit 10K and car has been very reliable and solid to drive. Since this car is not widely owned, you do receive many inquisitive looks and comments; but these come at a price. You are forced to have the car serviced at a Porsche dealership. First service light came on at 10K miles (even though book states first oil change at 20K), and it cost $250

Favorite Features

Unique design, audio and overall driving experience. Very solid feeling and control with the Tiptronic. (I was hesitant to move to a Tiptronic, since I had always had a manual transmission; but the Tiptronic is really like having both.) Heated seats warm quickly. Tax benefit if you keep the car.

Suggested Improvements

Cost of ownership ($250 for an oil change when VW charges $58 for same V6 service!), poor mileage (17mpg/avg), rear seats do not fold easily, rear hatch awkward to close, condensation in headlights and passenger door seal isn't tight. Overall condescending attitude of the Porsche dealers - POOR!!!!!

I hope you like spending $.
By Driver

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Overall, I can't complain, but I am rather dissapointed. In my opinion, for an oil change to take over an hour (resulting in a bill of over $200) is unacceptable. This problem could be fixed by better design of the underbody allowing for easier basic maintnence. In addition, Tiptronic system sometimes kicks in at random. I was dissapointed when I learned that I had to get a completely different WHEEL to get a snow tire. I espescially do not like the image that I payed $70,000 for my car. Buying Premium gas constantly gets very old, very fast. Also, my familly constantly reminds me of the fact that it looks like a rollerskate. If you like spending money and driving is all you care about go for it

Favorite Features

Excellent handling, acceleration, feel for an SUV. LCD screen OFF.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the bug with the Tiptronic system for me. Fix windy sound in the back. Improve mechanical deign. Exterior design could be made less strange. Seats could fold easier. Change tray not get stuck easily. Offer a 5,000 mile return option for those of us who don't like the unexpected costs.

Best Car I've owned
By Lori

2004 Porsche Cayenne Turbo AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

My Porsche Cayeene Turbo provides great power and handling. It is terrific in the snow (with the correct tires). Service has been excellent at my local dealer. I just drove through a blizzard with no skidding and great control.

Favorite Features

The power and handling. I don't feel like I am in an SUV. It's the best compromise when a 911 isn't practical for you.

Suggested Improvements

The rear seats could be easier to undo to lay flat. The rear seats could be more comfortable. Onstar would be nice as well as a voice activated navigation system and XM radio.

Porschesuv
By billyboy

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Like the power and quality of build. Transmission takes getting used to but tiptronic great. Can cruise forever at 80+. So far so good.

Favorite Features

engine, looks, power, sound

Suggested Improvements

make day/nite mirror std. Improve gas mileage

Trouble
By parker511

2004 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

First let me say that from the day that I bought the car, there was something very wrong with the allignment. After taking it in 3 or 4 times with the same problems, I was getting frustrated to say the least. Up until this point, everything was "under warranty." Suddenly, when I took the Cayenne infor an oil change & to fix te ongoing problem--when I picked up my car, the bill was $700 for an oil change & balance. Right then I decided to trade it in before something incrediblewent wrong!!

Suggested Improvements

THey could do away with the knob- turning navigation system, give it some momre power, and make it seem like (on the ) inside what you paid for.

2004 Cayenne S
By John Ulrich

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned this vehicle for 2 months and have had an excellent driving and ownership experience. I am a road warrior and needed a tow vehicle that had some prestige associated with it. Towing 7700 lbs, quiet, plenty of power, excellent handling. If you can afford it, get it!

Favorite Features

Interior build quality, leather seating, excellent visability. Power! Prestige vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be a little wider for long trips

Pamela B. Bankert
By Pamela

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Fast, powerful, and comfortable with terrific handling. Feels like a Porsche in every respect. Very roomy, with wonderful interior details including a self-adjusting heated steering wheel. Quality thoroughout the vehicle, even in the little details. Unusual enough to be distinctive and to create comments from other drivers! Expensive to maintain with oil changes at the dealership running around $250! Not the best car for the budget-conscious driver, but is predicted to hold it's value. A step above the BMW X5!

Favorite Features

interior design & features, including Bose sound system, wonderful climate control, very comfortable, adjustable seats-all top drawer.

Suggested Improvements

Adjusting rear seat to fold down could be easier, requires a little too much "huffing & puffing". Rear tailgate opens to a fairly low level- tall drivers should use care when approaching as it is very easy to bang one's head into the door! Gas mileage could be improved!

Great SUV the best so far
By hoon

2004 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I couldn't decide with X5 for the first time but after I took a test drive for both I knew I want Cayenne. I have 2005 model. I had 3 BMWs and many japanese cars and SUVs before but Cayenne is the best so far. Great feel of accelation although it's not really fast. More comfort than X5 in ride. Really fun to drive. Too much gas than other competitors but bigger gas tanks makes me feel better.

Favorite Features

Appearance, great handling, even better braking, fun-to-drive, engine sound.

Suggested Improvements

Not easy to fold the rear seats. Keyless entry is not good. Rattle from the rear(maybe from the spare tire). Gas mileage. The factory should put Porsche logo on the rear. There is nothing other than "Cayenne" and most people from my dealeler paid $200 to put the "Porsche" above the "Cayenne" logo

Traded in the x5
By c4s

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Had a 3.0 x5... no comparison. Also drove the 4.4 to make sure. Great features, handles very well; I waited for the model year switch to save a few bucks. I like driving this as much as my c4s. Great job Porsche.

Favorite Features

Handling, looks, accleration

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be nice...but you buy this car to drive.