2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:
2004 Cayenne S
By lilly71 on 05/07/13 05:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I bought mines used 45,000 which is actually good. Had it 3 yrs and everything at once started to go and man was it costley. Over 10,000 grand in 2 months. The passenger brake goes constantly and the radio everyone I spoke to says they have issues with it. If I had to do it over I WOULD NOT GET THIS. Looks are good but so not worth the money. I could have bought a new car for 10 grand. The headlights are like 1,000 just to replace no spare tire. Batteries are like $500 Very costly to say the least.

great bang for the buck!
By richardcayenne on 01/29/13 17:51 PM (PST)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I saw a beautiful 2004s on a lot and decided to take it for a spin. This is not a fake Porsche but the real deal! I drove it home a week later. A huge pleasure to drive! One worry was mpg but to my surprise it really gets 21 mpg on the highway at 65 ans cruising. Yes there are some bugs like the radio that doesn`t always work but overall I got a $70,000 car for well under 20 grand. One piece of adviceis to verify how the car was maintained and by who.

LOVE THE TURBO & EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SUV!
By kingr2r on 01/29/13 14:05 PM (PST)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV Turbo AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned this super rocket for some time now and I have no complaints. If you can afford this car, I strongly suggest to buy one and you won't regret it. I got this car used at Princeton Porsche, NJ and the car was in immaculate condition, black on black w/ dark wood trimmings. It even smelled like new since the previous owner really took care of this baby. I also had the opportunity of owning a 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (my review is also posted here in edmunds - My supercharged rover! By Rick Respicio on July 26, 2006 23:45pm) but it just can't compare to the Cayenne Turbo. The Cayenne is faster, sportier and more luxurious than the Rover. Test drive one and you'll agree!

04 TURBO owner here!
By liquidsilk on 12/12/12 00:44 AM (PST)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV Turbo AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

Great car, super fast, great performance... I wish I was back home in Europe and use it to the limit instead of crusiing 60mph in Cali highways... I like the exterior design more than the latest ones (2012-2013). So musculan! Inside looks bigger to me, again compare to newer ones. Gas consumption might be a problem for some. I am not a commuter and I work 7days. Since I dont have time to drive that much I enjoy when I drive.If you can effort get a new one. Gas mileage is much better.

NIGHTMARE S
By qpdsful on 10/03/12 08:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

We just purchased the 04 Cayenne S with under 60k miles, got the extended warranty...after less than a month owning it the rear axle had to be replaced at a cost of $1400.00. 2 weeks later in the hot sun the check coolant light went on, car was in the shop for a week to replace the coolant tubes had to replaced with the aluminum tubes, a Porsche defect that they are currently avoiding, at a cost of $3200.00, exactly 1 week later while I was backing my car into the garage the steering wheel started doing what it wanted and the light came on MOVE STEERING WHEEL there was a loud noise click click click and the car died. Will not start, go into gear, NOTHING. Had to be towed back to the dealer.

My one year of ownership review
By aorobert on 09/20/12 11:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

LOOKS: It's a beauty. No it is not a VW. FEEL: I have never driven such a tight vehicle. I traded in a Mercedes ML430 for this and never looked back. GAS: Lousy gas mileage, more like 12/15. But for some reason when I get it above 80 my mileage improves to about 18. Too bad I can't stay at those speeds for very long.

16 of 5,537 people found this review helpful
Engine Failure
By biodev on 05/25/12 21:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I am / was the original owner of a 2004 Cayenne S. I carefully maintained the car with oil changes every 7 to 10K miles, transmission fluid at 80K and the car was not driven hard. Overall the Cayenne was great to drive but extremely expensive to maintain, numerous brake jobs and sets of tires. The real disappointment was this past week after 9 years and 121K miles the engine failed. The issue was a cylinder scoring leading to failure of cylinder one. The Cayenne engine can not be rebuilt and a replacement engine is about $22K installed, used engines are about $8k installed. Upon searching the web the engine failure is not unique and it seems like it is a major issue with old Cayennes.

Poor Reliability
By Dan on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Parking Brake broke after a few tries. Replaced transmission drive at 40K miles and gear shift really poorly. Climate Control awful making so much noise. LED dashboard was so bad that needed to replace as warranty item. Sun Glasses box broke and cost $250. Oil change or minor maint. is very expensive. I wouldn't buy it if given second chance. Stylist and good performance but reliability is not in the design process. Beside the design for perf. must take reliability and cost-efficient sustainability seriously. Good name Porsche is tainted.

Boxster S Replacement-Almost as Much Fun
By Dr. Warren Bruhl on 05/31/10 17:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2004 Porsche Cayenne S with 20 inch wheels for 7 months and it has been a great SUV with awesome power and handling. Although, the ride is a bit stiff, I have become accustomed to the ride now. I previously owned a 2001 Boxster S and love it. I sold it last year and have enjoyed driving my Cayenne.

What else can go wrong
By Beach boy on 01/02/10 16:32 PM (PST)

2004 Porsche Cayenne SUV Turbo AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl Turbo 6A)

Not long after owning this vehicle there was a recall for the transmission. It was replaced. Another warranty issue was the radio/cd player rear seat belts and hinge replacement on the tailgate. Since the warranty ran out at(80,000 Kms) all hell broke loose. The driveshaft flex joint went the heater blower, plastic cooling tubes,(now metal), water pump, brake switch(can start without having to apply brake), warning buzzer for lights left on etc., heated seat module, rust under rubber on door window frame, seat belt springs have weakened,(they jam in door), tailgate barely closes, repairs to the tune of approx. $8000.00. What a $140,000 money pit. Don't buy one.