Used 2004 Porsche Cayenne S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:

2004 Cayenne S
By lilly71

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I bought mines used 45,000 which is actually good. Had it 3 yrs and everything at once started to go and man was it costley. Over 10,000 grand in 2 months. The passenger brake goes constantly and the radio everyone I spoke to says they have issues with it. If I had to do it over I WOULD NOT GET THIS. Looks are good but so not worth the money. I could have bought a new car for 10 grand. The headlights are like 1,000 just to replace no spare tire. Batteries are like $500 Very costly to say the least.

great bang for the buck!
By richardcayenne

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I saw a beautiful 2004s on a lot and decided to take it for a spin. This is not a fake Porsche but the real deal! I drove it home a week later. A huge pleasure to drive! One worry was mpg but to my surprise it really gets 21 mpg on the highway at 65 ans cruising. Yes there are some bugs like the radio that doesn`t always work but overall I got a $70,000 car for well under 20 grand. One piece of adviceis to verify how the car was maintained and by who.

the power and how tight everything feels. Overall a high quality and beautiful car.

fix those pesky electronic glitches ( radio, remote for doors not working.....)

NIGHTMARE S
By qpdsful

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

We just purchased the 04 Cayenne S with under 60k miles, got the extended warranty...after less than a month owning it the rear axle had to be replaced at a cost of $1400.00. 2 weeks later in the hot sun the check coolant light went on, car was in the shop for a week to replace the coolant tubes had to replaced with the aluminum tubes, a Porsche defect that they are currently avoiding, at a cost of $3200.00, exactly 1 week later while I was backing my car into the garage the steering wheel started doing what it wanted and the light came on MOVE STEERING WHEEL there was a loud noise click click click and the car died. Will not start, go into gear, NOTHING. Had to be towed back to the dealer.

The speed of the car and that is it!

How about a little bit of owner ship on Porsche of North America and replacement of most 04 models. Absoulutley disgusting!

My one year of ownership review
By aorobert

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

LOOKS: It's a beauty. No it is not a VW. FEEL: I have never driven such a tight vehicle. I traded in a Mercedes ML430 for this and never looked back. GAS: Lousy gas mileage, more like 12/15. But for some reason when I get it above 80 my mileage improves to about 18. Too bad I can't stay at those speeds for very long.

Wiper speed changes based on amount of rain. Tiptronic transmission. Plenty of room for my 6'4" frame. Radio volume goes to 11. It's LOUD! Love watching friends try to find where the ignition key goes.

Wish the trunk was just a little bit longer. Steering wheel buttons scratch easy. Why hide the 12v power so far under the dash?

Engine Failure
16 of 91,477 people found this review helpful
By biodev

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I am / was the original owner of a 2004 Cayenne S. I carefully maintained the car with oil changes every 7 to 10K miles, transmission fluid at 80K and the car was not driven hard. Overall the Cayenne was great to drive but extremely expensive to maintain, numerous brake jobs and sets of tires. The real disappointment was this past week after 9 years and 121K miles the engine failed. The issue was a cylinder scoring leading to failure of cylinder one. The Cayenne engine can not be rebuilt and a replacement engine is about $22K installed, used engines are about $8k installed. Upon searching the web the engine failure is not unique and it seems like it is a major issue with old Cayennes.

Dramatically improve reliability, cost of maintenance and make an engine that lasts.