2004 Porsche Cayenne - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:
2004 Cayenne S
By lilly71 on 05/07/13 05:01 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I bought mines used 45,000 which is actually good. Had it 3 yrs and everything at once started to go and man was it costley. Over 10,000 grand in 2 months. The passenger brake goes constantly and the radio everyone I spoke to says they have issues with it. If I had to do it over I WOULD NOT GET THIS. Looks are good but so not worth the money. I could have bought a new car for 10 grand. The headlights are like 1,000 just to replace no spare tire. Batteries are like $500 Very costly to say the least.

great bang for the buck!
By richardcayenne on 01/29/13 17:51 PM (PST)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I saw a beautiful 2004s on a lot and decided to take it for a spin. This is not a fake Porsche but the real deal! I drove it home a week later. A huge pleasure to drive! One worry was mpg but to my surprise it really gets 21 mpg on the highway at 65 ans cruising. Yes there are some bugs like the radio that doesn`t always work but overall I got a $70,000 car for well under 20 grand. One piece of adviceis to verify how the car was maintained and by who.

NIGHTMARE S
By qpdsful on 10/03/12 08:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

We just purchased the 04 Cayenne S with under 60k miles, got the extended warranty...after less than a month owning it the rear axle had to be replaced at a cost of $1400.00. 2 weeks later in the hot sun the check coolant light went on, car was in the shop for a week to replace the coolant tubes had to replaced with the aluminum tubes, a Porsche defect that they are currently avoiding, at a cost of $3200.00, exactly 1 week later while I was backing my car into the garage the steering wheel started doing what it wanted and the light came on MOVE STEERING WHEEL there was a loud noise click click click and the car died. Will not start, go into gear, NOTHING. Had to be towed back to the dealer.

My one year of ownership review
By aorobert on 09/20/12 11:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

LOOKS: It's a beauty. No it is not a VW. FEEL: I have never driven such a tight vehicle. I traded in a Mercedes ML430 for this and never looked back. GAS: Lousy gas mileage, more like 12/15. But for some reason when I get it above 80 my mileage improves to about 18. Too bad I can't stay at those speeds for very long.

16 of 15,122 people found this review helpful
Engine Failure
By biodev on 05/25/12 21:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I am / was the original owner of a 2004 Cayenne S. I carefully maintained the car with oil changes every 7 to 10K miles, transmission fluid at 80K and the car was not driven hard. Overall the Cayenne was great to drive but extremely expensive to maintain, numerous brake jobs and sets of tires. The real disappointment was this past week after 9 years and 121K miles the engine failed. The issue was a cylinder scoring leading to failure of cylinder one. The Cayenne engine can not be rebuilt and a replacement engine is about $22K installed, used engines are about $8k installed. Upon searching the web the engine failure is not unique and it seems like it is a major issue with old Cayennes.

Poor Reliability
By Dan on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Parking Brake broke after a few tries. Replaced transmission drive at 40K miles and gear shift really poorly. Climate Control awful making so much noise. LED dashboard was so bad that needed to replace as warranty item. Sun Glasses box broke and cost $250. Oil change or minor maint. is very expensive. I wouldn't buy it if given second chance. Stylist and good performance but reliability is not in the design process. Beside the design for perf. must take reliability and cost-efficient sustainability seriously. Good name Porsche is tainted.

Boxster S Replacement-Almost as Much Fun
By Dr. Warren Bruhl on 05/31/10 17:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2004 Porsche Cayenne S with 20 inch wheels for 7 months and it has been a great SUV with awesome power and handling. Although, the ride is a bit stiff, I have become accustomed to the ride now. I previously owned a 2001 Boxster S and love it. I sold it last year and have enjoyed driving my Cayenne.

The Great SUV
By Lou on 09/22/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

The SUV is an amazing vehicle. It's an SUV Carrera. The gas mileage is about 20 highway and 15 around town. Not bad for the suburbs. Handling is excellent. Just need an extra aux. pwr up front.

Sports car-like handling in 5k lb truck!
By ATAWAY on 08/23/09 13:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

This vehicle continues to amaze me. Braking is second to none. Handling for a large vehicle as this is world- class. How'd they do it is what you'll wonder when you drive it. V8 power is more than sufficient, would not recommend V6 unless you are only picking up groceries and live in snow country. Ride is comfy, not too noisy, plenty of great lux features to please anyone. Beautiful design. Interior is lovely. Faux leather dash is quite nice. Seats offer plenty of adjustments. Nav works really well! Parking sensors are well worth the $. Don't need heated seats as in Southern CA not too cold.

Join the Herd
By Frank JG on 10/31/08 09:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Porsche Cayenne S AWD 4dr SUV (4.5L 8cyl 6A)

Traded one of 911c/2 (cab 6 spd) for CS. Tested at high speed, rides like 996 c/2 only one foot taller. Gas mileage was surprising when I keep my lead foot off. Had 7 BMW (740, 740l, 735, 528, 318c, Z3, 325), 4 MB (430CLK, S430, SL380, S550). This SUV rides like 911 c/2 in an S550 interior.