2013 Porsche Boxster Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Porsche Boxster - Consumer Reviews

2013 Boxster Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Sports Car on the Planet!
By ghost1214

2013 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

So I decided I wanted a sports car. looked at the BMW z4, Mercedes SLK and the Porsche Boxster. There is no comparison, it's not even close....Box! I test drove the 911 but it didn't have the same balance as the Box. I ordered mine with the red leather interior, Agate Gray exterior and 6 speed manual. I pull down the street heads are turning. The car is quick. get on the highway with some curves it's all giggles. I have never driven a car that was just so much spiritual fun. corners are a blast. be careful you will catch the car in front and you won't need to slow down because it lives for the curves. No problem you have the best brakes on the planet. "there is no substitute"

Favorite Features

The car is beautiful. Too many to List.

Suggested Improvements

None.

2013 Boxster S
By gmg66

2013 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Boxster for about one year and have put 2,500 miles on it. The overall fit and finish, and build quality on the car is extremely high. I have not had any problems with it. It's a blast to drive. As another review stated, it is deceptively fast. I ordered my car with the 6MT and the shifting is the best of any car I've ever driven - the location and feel are just perfect. The handling surprised me - the rear end slides out on fast corners but in a very controlled manner which just contributes to the fun to drive factor. Overall a great driving, very high quality, stunning looking car.

Favorite Features

Engine noise under strong acceleration is intoxicating. Handling and shifting as mentioned above. I always drive with my top down if the weather is tolerable and love how fast and easy the top goes up and down. Best looking Porsche in years IMHO (and I've owned a couple of 911's in the past). Overall fit and finish. One very surprising plus to this car is how well it rides on poor roads - I have optional 20 inch wheels and PASM. Interior quality and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Rear vision while backing up is very limited. I ordered the backup sensors but didn't order the front sensors - a mistake since with backup sensors only, I just have a near worthless beeping noise but had I ordered front sensors as well, I would have gotten colors on Nav screen to indicate distance. While the car sounds great under hard acceleration, it is extremely quiet in normal driving - I was talked out of ordering Sport Exhaust by dealer - probably a mistake since I want a sports car sound. Thus I recently had FabSpeed exhaust installed - too soon to tell if I like it - advantage of Porsche sport exhaust is that it can be turned on and off.

Real upgrade over the 987
By quierodormir

2013 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

Just replaced my 2007 Boxster with the 2013. Its a real improvement in almost every way over the previous generation. The design of the exterior and interior are significantly enhanced (in particular the interior, which previously I felt had a tendency to feel cheap in terms of materials) I know the electric steering has received some criticism, but I cannot tell a difference with the old hydraulic setup. Both are fantastic opinion. The only minor difference I've noticed is that the exhaust note in the 2013 isn't as pronounced as the 2007 at lower RPMs. This may be due to the fact that my '07 had the sport / PASM package while the new one doesn't.

Favorite Features

New design, handling, redesigned interior, amazing brakes, 6MT (way smoother to operate than comparable manuals from Audi, BMW, etc).

Suggested Improvements

PCM controls I still find somewhat intuitive (though much better than before). While it doesn't fit with Porsche's tradition, I'd like to see Porsche move to push button start like most other manufacturers. Regret not having ordered the sport exhaust; it sounds great compared to the base model's

2013 Boxster S
By anandnatrajan

2013 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I custom ordered a lightly optioned Boxster S with the 6MT. Only the premium package and Bose in Guards Red with a black interior along with red seat belts and the light design package. The model designation was deleted at no charge. The car was built and delivered in 2 months. Price, MSRP 67k and I was happy to get a 5% discount. Gem of a car. Brilliant 6MT with easy shifting requiring no effort except fingertips. Clutch pedal felt a bit heavy at first but not anymore. Wonderful sounding engine although I haven't taken it past 5000 rpm. Very smooth and deceptive power. Extremely rapid acceleration and in the corners, the car is fantastic. Very strong brakes.

Favorite Features

Beautiful car, extremely strong and smooth engine, very strong brakes, precise shifter, very smooth ride even with 19 inch wheels, good fuel economy, very comfortable seats with the premium package. Excellent build quality. Very highly recommended but go easy with options if you are on a budget. A decently equipped car is 63k.

Suggested Improvements

A simpler set of gauges would be my only suggestion. The multifunction screen is easy but gimmicky.

Finally
By myspyder

2013 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

Finally the Boxster is worthy of being named a Porsche.

Favorite Features

Handling, braking, exceptionally strong body for a convertible, beautifully design and finally quality.The PDK transmission is much improved. it has stop and start and coasting functions that are great in the city and on the highway!

Suggested Improvements

None except for the price. But if it wasn't over priced it wouln't be a Porsche!

One of the bettter Porsches of all time.
By clutchplate

2013 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 11th Porsche with most being 911's. Always wanted a Boxster but never liked the way they looked until now. The 2013 is stunning in person and is one of the best handling cars you can buy. The base model doesn't have much low end torque so you need to keep the engine between 4500 and 7000 rpm's. It's plenty fast within that range but it brings the mpg to around 18 so you have to choose between power or mileage. You get 30 mpg as advertised with a very light foot. The handling is stupendous, cornering is quick and tight, the car feels glued to the road no matter how hard you push. My last car was a Lotus Elise, which had superb handling, the new Boxster could be better.

Favorite Features

Looks, sound of the engine (especially with sport exhaust), flat quick handling, interior, and the ultra quiet top. Ventilation system may be the best in the business.

Suggested Improvements

The electronic hand brake was described as "rubbish" in one of the video reviews. They were right. It's far to easy to get out of the car thinking it's on and have the car start rolling away.

2013 Boxster S blue/blue roof/grey
By ttibio

2013 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

Took delivery late June to replace a 996. Pretty much fully loaded with PDK, Sport Chrono, etc. It is an excellent looking vehicle - I had ordered it sight-unseen in January but was not disappointed. Maybe a bit fussy versus the 991, but that is too much of a grand tourer now. Not really budget constrained, but do think that at $80k I paid, the base+6spd starts to look GREAT value. The PDK is incredibly snappy, steering/handling super sharp, etc. - its just as the reviewers reviewed it - an excellent driver all round. Not sure the interior is super luxe - bit plasticky if you look around a bit. Anyway it gets an A-. Like it a lot and will keep it a long time I am sure.

Favorite Features

Must haves: + (if PDK) Sport Design wheel with paddles. (Sport Plus mode is just frenetic!) + ventilated/heated seats (cheap options) + painted roll bars + wheel crest (cheap options) + still great trunk space(s)... Neutral: = Sport Chrono - hmm its fun and flashy and pricey and soon forgotten. = Nav - its just not that good versus MB or BMW with fiddly controls and smudgy touch screen, who really needs a nav for a sunny sport car) = S version. I mean you just cannot use the power on roads with low-skill drivers and militaristic police (i.e. here). Save a lot of $ and go for the base model - and pay for badge delete option ;).

Suggested Improvements

Urgh: - Rear visibility much worse than the old Boxster, so how come no rear backup camera? just a beep-guess-o-matic device. - Light grey rev counter (a 'special' for the S). Excuse me? contrast is zero, washout in most any sunlight! Just dumb. - Have the grey/light grey interior. The grey looks a bit brown, the light grey too light (marks already...). Its just OK. - What % of Porsche buyers have a smartphone - say 90%+? So how come there is no where (like a slot or tray) to put yr phone... duh. Bluetooth audio works just fine, so who ever plugs it in?

Looks and feels like a million bucks.
By foxster

2013 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

Just took delivery of my first Boxster, (and first Porsche), which is unlikely to be my last. Mostly very happy with it thus far, not least because I took delivery of a car which I'd ordered to my own specification, that included "only" about $7K in options.

Favorite Features

Great design inside (especially the optional Sport Design steering wheel) and out (even on 19 inch wheels which must ride better than the 20's on all the press cars), engine note on start up, ability to raise or lower the roof in 9 seconds at speeds up to 31mph, start stop function (that reduces gas consumption) and of course, its 2 trunks.

Suggested Improvements

Replace electronic handbrake with mechanical one, make child seat installation possible (like on the previous generation Boxster) and don't charge extra for essentials such as heated seats and a wind blocker.