Used 2008 Porsche Boxster Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Porsche Boxster - Consumer Reviews

2008 Porsche Boxster Convertible

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

Like driving a High Tech Video Game
By James

2008 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

This car is so fun to drive. It handles likes its on rails and sounds so good that I'm always turning down the $1000 upgraded Bose stereo down so I can hear the 3.4 growl. I love going anywhere now. Haven't said that in a while. This is my daily driver and with the traffic here in town chose the triptronic. I never thought that I would be saying this but I am so glad I went with the Auto. Its like driving a high tech video game. Flying around corners and shifting is a blast. I can also be holding hands with my date and still drive the car like it should be driven.

Favorite Features

Engine, suspension, Black paint, interior and handling.

Suggested Improvements

None.

The 'Wow' Factor
By SonzTwin

2008 Porsche Boxster Convertible Limited Edition S 2dr Convertible (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my S-LE (almost) fully loaded with <6k mi - on eBay from a stranger, sight unseen. "Dumbest move imaginable" turned out to make me the "smartest buy guy" - this is the ONLY way to beat Porsche price-gouging. Sour-grapers sneer, "What's up with the..." or "Who drives an ORANGE car?", but there's no question this baby is a head-turner - more so than the PD or the Spyder. Folks at work I never talked to stop by for chats, strangers walk up wanting to know the name of the color, and little boys run after me in my hood shouting "I LOVE your car!". But that's vanity - what you experience behind the wheel is inSANity! I've named her my "joy toy"!

Favorite Features

Control, power, and all-around BLISSFUL behind-the-wheel experience, supportive seats, the ROAR of my $3k Tubi exhaust, low-wind noise even at 75 mph with the top down, the slick click of the stick, tasteful interior with orange accents, and the cache of an LE with a numbered name-plate.

Suggested Improvements

Price-to-pay are the rationed interior room, the so-so mileage on premium gas, the quirky European controls, particularly for air flow (I'd KILL for the auto climate control) and notorious low-life, very-expensive tires. Really, if this is limited ed., they should have made the red calipers orange!

One Beautiful Sports Car
By James

2008 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Just got this car and stayed up half the night driving it around with the top down. It feels so good with the top down. The handling is top notch. You can feel the quality built into this car. Drove the 370z and even though it had more bells and whistles it wasn't near as fun to drive as the Boxster S. Plus chicks love a Porsche and that alone is worth the extra coin.

Favorite Features

Handling, engine growl and performance, Bose stereo sounds ok.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a CD changer and Ipod port.

If you can afford one, buy one
By Jeff

2008 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my 2008 Boxster S for about 8 months and I am truly impressed. I can't believe the handling, power, styling and just how much fun it is to drive at any speed! I will sometimes just walk out into my garage and stare at this beautiful car. I have a black model with the tan interior, gorgeous. It is a real head turner when clean and shined up. The red calipers on the S are worth the price from a "wow" factor. I just walked through a Porsche showroom again last week and can't really see the reason to pay for more than the Boxster S delivers unless you are a professional driver.

Favorite Features

The handling, power and overall top down driving experience. You feel like you are driving a race car. There is just no comparison to most cars to a Porsche. The overall driving experience makes you long for good weather to get the car out of the garage and onto the road for the shortest of trips

Suggested Improvements

The stereo is from 10 years ago. 6 CD changer in the trunk?? My 2008 Ford Expedition Limited stereo puts this stereo to deep shame. You can't plug an iPod into this Porsche but you can the cheapest Dodge? Fixed I hear for 2009. This is the reason for my lower rating for interior design.

Too much fun
By Jim

2008 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

Went to the local Porsche dealer to look at a used 95 Ferrari and spotted a Boxster S on the floor. I decided to take it for a spin and it now sits in my garage waiting for Spring. These cars are definitely built with the driver in mind. I doubt if there is a car made that is more well- balanced than a Boxster S.

Favorite Features

Xenon headlights are awesome, the handling and performance are perfect. The brakes are top-notch and the red calipers look good to. The amount of storage is really good for a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

I would have to say that it would be nice if the CD changer was easier to get at.