Used 2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

Awesome/Affordable Sportscar
By tom_dz

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Boxster in 2006 (then 9,000 miles; now 64,000). I have not looked back since. It is surprisingly comfortable for such a tight-handling car. It looks and feels as mean as it sounds. And to my surprise, maintenance issues have been few (air/oil separator replaced). I could not ask for a better all-around sportcars. I highly recommend the model and year.

Cockpit feel; sleek styling; easy convertible use; responsive handling; plenty of power; relatively modest cost; low maintenance; muffler sound; fuel use; and (of all things) the cup holders.

Any suggestion that Porsche do away with the stick.

Over 100k and still a fantastic drive!
By jeremp

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this beauty in April (2011). I Dr. traded it in at 100k miles. He did all the service religiously, and it works fantastically. The manual spoiler switch was broken when I bought it but a part from SunCoast Porsche fixed it. I do the work myself which keeps maint. costs down. I am a simple guy with a simple income but I feel rick driving the Boxster around town. I never put the top up, (I drive an 05' IS300 on rainy days) and I still get 24-25 MPG. I LOVE this thing!

Dual auto up/down windows. Smooth power roof, smooth acceleration and great handling.

I think the 6-speed should be standard. A standard maint. position for top so I don't have to guess when I need to access engine. A spare tire, even a doughnut would be nice.

What a blast to own and drive
By Terry

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I purchased this car for her recently from a friend of ours who collects sports cars. It's "her" car but I just can't seem to keep my hands off of it. It's so much fun to drive I'm looking at buying another one just so I don't have to beg her for the keys. It's cool looking, sounds great, handles like it's on rails and is like riding a bolt of lightening when you push it hard through the gears. Just plain love it. Thanks Porsche!

Looks, interior design, sound, handling, performance. Everything is cool about it. A true roadster that we hope to have for a very, very long time.

Can't think of any. I rated comfort at less than 10 but maybe I should just give it a 10 because it rides just like a roadster should.

Engine failure/balance shaft broke apart
By scott c.

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased 2005 Boxster S brand new. Never had any major issues until about 2 years with 20k miles. That's when vehicle had complete engine failure/balance shaft broke apart. Since the car was still under warranty car was towed to my local dealer. I was told the balance shaft broke causing complete engine damage! The dealership service dept had no loaners and I was without the car for 3 weeks. When the car was given back to me interior and exterior was scratched up and steering wheel was off center. I did not want to keep the car and called/meet with Porsche rep to discuss. Porsche N.A. rep would not help at all! Due to poor reliability I traded to Mercedes.

Exterior looks and easy to drive

2005 boxter s (bought used with 5700 mi)
By Russ

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have been looking and test driving cars for 9 months (long time I know ). Drove vette 5 times, boxster and caymen about 5 times, 911s 3 times, z4, viper etc. The boxster was my favorite bar none (like it more then 911 s) but still couldn't pull the trigger. Well I finally purchased one and my goodness I couldn't be happier. This car is absolutely awesome in every way. It eats curves, the engine sound is better then music, and the build quality is outstanding. The fact that you can stay below 50 mph and have a blast is a big plus also (I don't think you can do that in a viper or vette as they require more room to make you smile IMHO)!

Engine sound,interior quality,tons of fun at sane/safe speeds.Tightest most accurate feel of any car I have had the pleasure of driving! Most important is the cars ability to make and keep me smiling as it's as much fun as my motorcycle.

Needs a better stereo. Mine has the upgraded but its not even as good as the one in my truck. Need a Ipod plug! I think they put them in for 09?