Used 2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

A Sure Cure for the Commuter Doldrums
By RJosephs

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

After one year in the saddle and 3,000 miles of pavement conquered, the verdict is in -- superb job Porsche! I sold my 2001 Porsche 911 after a rather enjoyable but just as disappointing two years of ownership. After missing my Carerra for a few months I set out to find a newer and faster Porsche than my 996. I settled on a low mileage Boxster after an unplanned test drive left me quite impressed and smiling. I enjoy it more than my old 996. It sounds great, has good power, handles fine, and has been a joy to own. It has the sports chrono package and an upgraded six speed manual so it is a little more peppy than cars without those options. The engine sounds like a symphony when driven hard - especially when the exhaust echoes off tunnels and wall. Basically, the whole car just feels like a well engineered piece of fun. The car is fairly comfortable also. However, the car loses some points when the top is up for some annoying transmission noise and loss of exhaust sound and interior noise. I can only imagine what the new models must be like to drive. Well, except for the new version with a 4 cylinder. The Porsche flat 6 is a treasure. For the money, a used Boxster is a great deal.

Awesome/Affordable Sportscar
By tom_dz

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Boxster in 2006 (then 9,000 miles; now 64,000).
I have not looked back since.
It is surprisingly comfortable for such a tight-handling car.
It looks and feels as mean as it sounds.
And to my surprise, maintenance issues have been few (air/oil separator replaced).
I could not ask for a better all-around sportcars.
I highly recommend the model and year.

Cockpit feel; sleek styling; easy convertible use; responsive handling; plenty of power; relatively modest cost; low maintenance; muffler sound; fuel use; and (of all things) the cup holders.

Any suggestion that Porsche do away with the stick.

Over 100k and still a fantastic drive!
By jeremp

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this beauty in April (2011). I Dr. traded it in at 100k miles. He did all the service religiously, and it works fantastically. The manual spoiler switch was broken when I bought it but a part from SunCoast Porsche fixed it. I do the work myself which keeps maint. costs down. I am a simple guy with a simple income but I feel rick driving the Boxster around town. I never put the top up, (I drive an 05' IS300 on rainy days) and I still get 24-25 MPG. I LOVE this thing!

Dual auto up/down windows. Smooth power roof, smooth acceleration and great handling.

I think the 6-speed should be standard. A standard maint. position for top so I don't have to guess when I need to access engine. A spare tire, even a doughnut would be nice.

What a blast to own and drive
By Terry

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Roadster (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I purchased this car for her recently from a friend of ours who collects sports cars. It's "her" car but I just can't seem to keep my hands off of it. It's so much fun to drive I'm looking at buying another one just so I don't have to beg her for the keys. It's cool looking, sounds great, handles like it's on rails and is like riding a bolt of lightening when you push it hard through the gears. Just plain love it. Thanks Porsche!

Looks, interior design, sound, handling, performance. Everything is cool about it. A true roadster that we hope to have for a very, very long time.

Can't think of any. I rated comfort at less than 10 but maybe I should just give it a 10 because it rides just like a roadster should.

Engine failure/balance shaft broke apart
By scott c.

2005 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased 2005 Boxster S brand new. Never had any major issues until about 2 years with 20k miles. That's when vehicle had complete engine failure/balance shaft broke apart. Since the car was still under warranty car was towed to my local dealer. I was told the balance shaft broke causing complete engine damage! The dealership service dept had no loaners and I was without the car for 3 weeks. When the car was given back to me interior and exterior was scratched up and steering wheel was off center. I did not want to keep the car and called/meet with Porsche rep to discuss. Porsche N.A. rep would not help at all! Due to poor reliability I traded to Mercedes.

Exterior looks and easy to drive