Used 2005 Porsche Boxster S Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Porsche Boxster - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

Engine failure/balance shaft broke apart
By scott c.

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased 2005 Boxster S brand new. Never had any major issues until about 2 years with 20k miles. That's when vehicle had complete engine failure/balance shaft broke apart. Since the car was still under warranty car was towed to my local dealer. I was told the balance shaft broke causing complete engine damage! The dealership service dept had no loaners and I was without the car for 3 weeks. When the car was given back to me interior and exterior was scratched up and steering wheel was off center. I did not want to keep the car and called/meet with Porsche rep to discuss. Porsche N.A. rep would not help at all! Due to poor reliability I traded to Mercedes.

Exterior looks and easy to drive

2005 boxter s (bought used with 5700 mi)
By Russ

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have been looking and test driving cars for 9 months (long time I know ). Drove vette 5 times, boxster and caymen about 5 times, 911s 3 times, z4, viper etc. The boxster was my favorite bar none (like it more then 911 s) but still couldn't pull the trigger. Well I finally purchased one and my goodness I couldn't be happier. This car is absolutely awesome in every way. It eats curves, the engine sound is better then music, and the build quality is outstanding. The fact that you can stay below 50 mph and have a blast is a big plus also (I don't think you can do that in a viper or vette as they require more room to make you smile IMHO)!

Engine sound,interior quality,tons of fun at sane/safe speeds.Tightest most accurate feel of any car I have had the pleasure of driving! Most important is the cars ability to make and keep me smiling as it's as much fun as my motorcycle.

Needs a better stereo. Mine has the upgraded but its not even as good as the one in my truck. Need a Ipod plug! I think they put them in for 09?

Best car you can buy!
By Ginzaman

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I had my own problem. Starting with Engine failure due to broken intermediate shaft. Dealer took it for few weeks and put a new engine after 21k. I had few other things going bad but still love my Porsche. Went to dealer probably about 10 times for minor things after that. I will probably get something like GT3 or 997S model next time. I think they could have done a better interior job but you get what you pay for. Love my car top down and still able to beat many cars like G35, 350Z, BMW 335ci and many many more. Can keep up with old M5 and Vantage. It's pretty impress for the money. Need grippier tires, like Vredstein.

Handling, can't get any better than this. Straight line performance can be better but it's fast enough to kill most of cars.

Work on reliability and better gear ratio. It's artificially slowed down for 911.

Best overall sports car
By biscon

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The 05 Boxster S is the best sports car on the market for the money. Why? It has performance, styling, ride, utility (2 trunks fore and aft), economy (23 mpg overall)and technology (top stores in 10 seconds).I still get positive comments from passersby after 3 yrs with this car.

Catastrophic Engine Failure
By Michael_W

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Leased the 2005 Boxster S in February. Other than sidelight issues and a tire blowout in the upper peninsula of MI that required an excursion via flatbed trailer for 150 miles to the nearest town and a two day wait for the replacement tire it would have been an uneventful trip. The real fun started in the 2nd summer of ownership when the counterbalance shaft snapped in half with 10,127 miles on the odometer. Porsche replaced the engine 6 weeks later at their expense with a remanufactured 2006 version. Michigan summers are noted for their brevity so the six week layup took the fun out of the relationship. I flipped the lease in spring of 2007 and still miss the car. Reliability is an issue.

Performance was outstanding. The vehicle turned heads whereever you went. Excellent handling and acceleration with superb brakes.

A vehicle that was babied, never raced and carefully broken in should not have an engine fail with only 10k miles. I am grateful that Porsche picked up the $12,000 repair tab to replace the engine. It looked like the Exxon Valdez had parked in my driveway the day of the failure.