2005 Porsche Boxster - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:
Engine failure/balance shaft broke apart
By scott c. on 11/15/08 09:09 AM (PST)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased 2005 Boxster S brand new. Never had any major issues until about 2 years with 20k miles. That's when vehicle had complete engine failure/balance shaft broke apart. Since the car was still under warranty car was towed to my local dealer. I was told the balance shaft broke causing complete engine damage! The dealership service dept had no loaners and I was without the car for 3 weeks. When the car was given back to me interior and exterior was scratched up and steering wheel was off center. I did not want to keep the car and called/meet with Porsche rep to discuss. Porsche N.A. rep would not help at all! Due to poor reliability I traded to Mercedes.

2005 boxter s (bought used with 5700 mi)
By Russ on 09/14/08 16:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have been looking and test driving cars for 9 months (long time I know ). Drove vette 5 times, boxster and caymen about 5 times, 911s 3 times, z4, viper etc. The boxster was my favorite bar none (like it more then 911 s) but still couldn't pull the trigger. Well I finally purchased one and my goodness I couldn't be happier. This car is absolutely awesome in every way. It eats curves, the engine sound is better then music, and the build quality is outstanding. The fact that you can stay below 50 mph and have a blast is a big plus also (I don't think you can do that in a viper or vette as they require more room to make you smile IMHO)!

Best car you can buy!
By Ginzaman on 08/07/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I had my own problem. Starting with Engine failure due to broken intermediate shaft. Dealer took it for few weeks and put a new engine after 21k. I had few other things going bad but still love my Porsche. Went to dealer probably about 10 times for minor things after that. I will probably get something like GT3 or 997S model next time. I think they could have done a better interior job but you get what you pay for. Love my car top down and still able to beat many cars like G35, 350Z, BMW 335ci and many many more. Can keep up with old M5 and Vantage. It's pretty impress for the money. Need grippier tires, like Vredstein.

Best overall sports car
By biscon on 06/09/08 21:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The 05 Boxster S is the best sports car on the market for the money. Why? It has performance, styling, ride, utility (2 trunks fore and aft), economy (23 mpg overall)and technology (top stores in 10 seconds).I still get positive comments from passersby after 3 yrs with this car.

Catastrophic Engine Failure
By Michael_W on 12/28/07 18:07 PM (PST)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Leased the 2005 Boxster S in February. Other than sidelight issues and a tire blowout in the upper peninsula of MI that required an excursion via flatbed trailer for 150 miles to the nearest town and a two day wait for the replacement tire it would have been an uneventful trip. The real fun started in the 2nd summer of ownership when the counterbalance shaft snapped in half with 10,127 miles on the odometer. Porsche replaced the engine 6 weeks later at their expense with a remanufactured 2006 version. Michigan summers are noted for their brevity so the six week layup took the fun out of the relationship. I flipped the lease in spring of 2007 and still miss the car. Reliability is an issue.

A dream come true...
By Harrison on 03/12/06 10:54 AM (PST)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. I had a problem with the heating vent directors breaking. 2 of them broke in normal use. The dealer replaced them. They are fine now. My only complaint - the clothes hanger hooks on the back of the seats are so shallow in depth that you cannot get even one hanger on them. They are totally useless. This is a design oversight that needs attention. Other than that...well, the windstop does rattle a bit, which others have mentioned. Indeed, it could fit more snuggly. But hey, this is such a fun car to drive! Everytime I get in, put the top down, crank the tunes on the Bose system (excellent!) it is like a mini vacation. The '05 model is a huge improvement over previous models.

Great Buy
By A.H. on 11/06/05 14:35 PM (PST)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I just got my 2005 Porsche Boxster S three days ago. I'm very impressed with the handling, design, and quality. I'm glad I made the right choice!

M3 killer?
By tmc on 10/09/05 15:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I owned an E46 BMW M3 convertible (current M3 for those who don't know) and this car blows it away. How can 276 hp beat 333? It's lighter and handles amazingly through the curves. I compared it to a Z4 3.0i and the Boxster S won hands down. It's hard to find the limits of this car in a turn, it's just that planted. And the engine sounds great! My only regret is I wish I had gotten sport chrono for the remapped accelerator option, but that's not all that important in the scheme of things. Suggestion to anyone buying one: get a good radar dectector!

Defying the laws of physics
By j. zolyn on 09/08/05 18:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Porsche and the best car I have ever owned. The main feature that I enjoy the most is taking turns at 65 mph when the yellow caution sign states 30 mph. I have to fight my wife when it comes to who gets to drive and she hates to drive...until now.

Happy owner
By mackay spears on 08/10/05 12:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Roadster (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Porsche and definitely the finest automobile I have owned to date. It has been more fun to drive than I imagined and it's quality and engineering continue to impress me.