Used 2003 Porsche Boxster Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Porsche Boxster - Consumer Reviews

2003 Porsche Boxster

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

Fun, but costly...
By tice75

2003 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was fortunate enough to own this vehicle for about 18 months. I bought it in 2007 with 5500 miles on it and put close to 20k on it in the year and a half that I owned it. It was near new! This car is incredibly fun to drive and the pick up is amazing. Being 6'4" tall, I was reasonably comfortable, but on long trips, a good stretch after a couple of hours is helpful. My overall ownership experience was OK, but it was rather expensive to own. I probably wouldn't buy another Porsche again.

Favorite Features

The looks, the power, the quickness, the convertible top! I opted for this year because in 2003, the back window was glass instead of plastic.

Suggested Improvements

This is the part that makes owning a vehicle like this painful. Little things that go wrong and break are extremely costly! Fortunately I had an ext. warranty most of the time that I owned it, but buyer beware! You'll spend a minimum of $300 every time you take it in... but it's a Porsche, right?

A Future Classic
By pwr

2003 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost two years and haven't regretted buying it. Great reliability and fun to drive. A used Boxster is a great deal. My only misgiving is that the base model lacks low end torque - it is necessary to wind out the engine to 4000+ rpm to get good acceleration.

First Porsche
By Wais

2003 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Porsche and a dream come true. I love every minute of driving it, washing it, and detailing it. I was afraid of getting a Porsche for all the horror stories you hear; expensive, costly maintenance, costly parts, unreliable etc. I bought it used with a 3/36,000 premium warranty and only 24K miles at under $28k! You can't get an average Japanese or American car for that price. After checking Consumer Reports and JD Power and Associates ratings, I decided to get it. Get it and you won't regret it. Life is too short not to have fun. Just cover your basis with a warranty, low mileage, and Carfax, then live life!

Favorite Features

Design, exhaust note, color, and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce wind noise and increase seating length. Even at 5'6", I find myself cramped at times. The wind deflector helps but you still get some wind at the top of your head. I don't mind but my wife hates it.

Raucous Fun in the Sun
By Speed Yellow

2003 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I feel that the outstanding sense of balance is a Boxster's trademark. It's not the fastest of two seat roadsters (even in S form), but it is surely the most fun to drive. The car's handling instills confidence in even the most tenuous of drivers. Cornering is effortless; the car's center of gravity feels like it is located under your seat. The the suspension communicates precisely what you need to know and it transmits your steering and throttle inputs with a smooth competency. The engine sings at higher RPM and begs to be revved to its limits, that's where the power band is and that's where the whole driving experience comes together, putting a big, goofy grin on your face. It's Heaven.

Favorite Features

Superb suspension--terrific balance between handling and comfort. Sweet revving engine with plenty of power at higher RPM. Plenty of room for big guys for such a small car. Terrific styling. Power convertible top is easy to use. Glass rear window (2003 models & after) aids rear vision. Two trunks!

Suggested Improvements

Vertical seat adjustment (driver's side) has flimsy handle that breaks easily. Poor cup holder design and location. Somewhat difficult to get to the engine bay (takes about 15 minutes to gain access). Expensive repairs and maintenance at Porsche dealers.

You gotta love it
By Fun in the Sun

2003 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Porsche designs the best true sports cars that are accessible to the general public. You get spoiled by the braking, steering, quality of materials, power, etc. When I jump in our other cars (BMW 540i and Jaguar XJ6), I realize what makes the Porsche so special. I also own a 996 coupe, which I absolutely love driving, however when I have a choice of which key to grab, the Boxster wins out. The Boxster is a great daily driver. With the top down, the car is perfection! The Boxster also handles better than our 996. Mid engine design helps keep the car pointed in the right direction at insane speeds. We chose our Boxster over the Z4, S2000, Miata Speed, 350 Roadster, Crossfire SRT-6

Favorite Features

Road feel, Precise steering, Feedback, Braking, the beautiful sound of a Porsche flat 6, water cooled is much more reliable than the old air cooled Porsches, comfortable seats, great storage space and no cowl shake. Of course the best thing about our Boxster is that it's a Porsche!

Suggested Improvements

Our engine blew last year with only 22K miles on it. Porsche put a new engine in and gave us an additional 2 year warranty (all at no charge). We're lucky we have other cars to drive, because it took a while to get the car back. The wind-break between the seats rattles. Add a tire pst monitor.