2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:
Think Again!
By tulsajack on 07/08/14 06:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

My dream to own a Porsche. After 2 years & less than 57,000 miles, the engine self-destructed due to a design flaw - a GM alternator bearing used on the intermediate shaft failed and completely trashed the engine. Of course, Porsche lawyers admitted no fault on court documents when they settled, but somehow agreed to pay about 25% of owners' expenses totaling millions. I fell outside the terms of the settlement, so it's tough luck and $0. The repair will cost at least $7K, up to $12K with used parts. This flaw affects 911's also. Because this is a possible outcome, I will never buy another Porsche. Buy a Honda!

Easy to drive quickly
By soccercoach99 on 06/05/10 17:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

We have seven cars, including a Honda S2000, Jaguar XJ8, and the American muscle classic 96 Impala SS. The Boxster is amazingly balanced, and really easy to drive quickly -- with the tiptronic, it's my wife's favorite drive now, and she goes "top down" on all suitable days. I like the Jag for traveling, and enjoy the motorcycle like qualities of the S2000, but have to marvel at Porsche's little roadster!

best of the sports convertibles
By GF on 03/16/10 19:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Owned it from new; only car I kept this long (7+ years), it works fine as a daily driver not just for weekends. Can be expensive to own in terms of dealer maintenance costs and out or warranty work. Delivers on the promised fun quotient and design aged very well, still very current vs. 2010 model. True sports convertible, not just for boulevard.

Xlnt sports convertible
By GF on 08/24/09 21:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Great choice for sports car convertible; very pricey new (keep options list down !) but worth the xtra money in the long run. More comfortable and useful size than it looks. Bought mine new and have used it as daily driver/only car for a number of years. Out of warranty repairs expenses can be high, but maintenance is just once a year for low mileage cars. Hard to give this car up, makes for a great 2nd car keeper once its past its prime.

Fun, but costly...
By tice75 on 04/18/09 15:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I was fortunate enough to own this vehicle for about 18 months. I bought it in 2007 with 5500 miles on it and put close to 20k on it in the year and a half that I owned it. It was near new! This car is incredibly fun to drive and the pick up is amazing. Being 6'4" tall, I was reasonably comfortable, but on long trips, a good stretch after a couple of hours is helpful. My overall ownership experience was OK, but it was rather expensive to own. I probably wouldn't buy another Porsche again.

A Future Classic
By pwr on 02/04/09 07:06 AM (PST)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost two years and haven't regretted buying it. Great reliability and fun to drive. A used Boxster is a great deal. My only misgiving is that the base model lacks low end torque - it is necessary to wind out the engine to 4000+ rpm to get good acceleration.

First Porsche
By Wais on 02/03/09 11:15 AM (PST)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first Porsche and a dream come true. I love every minute of driving it, washing it, and detailing it. I was afraid of getting a Porsche for all the horror stories you hear; expensive, costly maintenance, costly parts, unreliable etc. I bought it used with a 3/36,000 premium warranty and only 24K miles at under $28k! You can't get an average Japanese or American car for that price. After checking Consumer Reports and JD Power and Associates ratings, I decided to get it. Get it and you won't regret it. Life is too short not to have fun. Just cover your basis with a warranty, low mileage, and Carfax, then live life!

Raucous Fun in the Sun
By Speed Yellow on 07/30/08 13:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I feel that the outstanding sense of balance is a Boxster's trademark. It's not the fastest of two seat roadsters (even in S form), but it is surely the most fun to drive. The car's handling instills confidence in even the most tenuous of drivers. Cornering is effortless; the car's center of gravity feels like it is located under your seat. The the suspension communicates precisely what you need to know and it transmits your steering and throttle inputs with a smooth competency. The engine sings at higher RPM and begs to be revved to its limits, that's where the power band is and that's where the whole driving experience comes together, putting a big, goofy grin on your face. It's Heaven.

You gotta love it
By Fun in the Sun on 06/20/08 17:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Porsche designs the best true sports cars that are accessible to the general public. You get spoiled by the braking, steering, quality of materials, power, etc. When I jump in our other cars (BMW 540i and Jaguar XJ6), I realize what makes the Porsche so special. I also own a 996 coupe, which I absolutely love driving, however when I have a choice of which key to grab, the Boxster wins out. The Boxster is a great daily driver. With the top down, the car is perfection! The Boxster also handles better than our 996. Mid engine design helps keep the car pointed in the right direction at insane speeds. We chose our Boxster over the Z4, S2000, Miata Speed, 350 Roadster, Crossfire SRT-6

A great ride
By ray daquilante on 05/04/08 10:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Wow. It's the car I've always wanted the style and character are there. Just hoping that the reliability is there cant comment too early. Will be a car that I will keep for years to come.