2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:
No regrets - Love my Boxster
By az66bug on 08/05/13 09:18 AM (PDT)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 4 years ago with 36,000 miles; I was concerned given the age but I've wanted a Porsche my entire life and couldn't resist the deal. I did buy a 3yr warranty but canceled it after learning most everything I was concerned about was not covered and considered maintenance items - I was refunded $3000.00 and best thing I ever did. My Boxster just hit 45,000 miles and I still smile from ear to ear when I drive her. No major problems outside of routine maintenance and yes, they are expensive to maintain but your driving a Porsche guys, not a Chevy.... Just had the 45K service done, costed $1400.00 but I had all the pulley's replaced because 1 was squeaking. BUY ONE

East Texas at high speeds
By Josh on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

All I can say is wow! I purchased a used Porsche Boxster for 10k in Feb/Mar 2010, and could not have been happier. The car now has over 108,000 miles on it, and runs like a champ. It easily got up to 122 mph while passing cars driving down that middle lane* (stupid thing to do, but it was just too easy) without realizing how fast the car was going. Driving country roads in East Texas at high speeds (90 mph around 40 mph curves and 120 mph ++ on straight-aways) is a breeze.* apparently there are 2 radiators and it holds 7 gallons of coolant. My water pump went out while I was on the freeway and all that extra fluid saved my motor. *I no longer drive like I mentioned above, but had to share

Weeeeeeeeeee!
By Impboy on 05/07/10 22:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

When I got this Box 2 1/2 years ago, I had just finished driving a 1994 Honda Civic 220,000 miles from brand new. It was time for a new car. I love my Boxster. It's not the fastest car around but it drools every time we find a twisty back road. This car sticks like glue and I never feel out of control even in forced slides on wet pavement. (Hey, gotta have some fun some times!) I've taken it on long trips (over 600 miles in a day) and I have no back ache even though I'm 6'2". If you're thinking about getting one, do your research and get one now! I'm sorry I waited so long to do it myself.

Ignition switch replacement
By Luckysdad on 04/22/10 07:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

My Boxster needs an ignition switch replacement and my research indicates that the part sells for approximately $35. The dealership I go to informed me this morning that there has been a change in how they replace them now. They cannot just change that one part; they must do the entire assemby. Quoted me over $600. Can anyone tell me if this sounds realistic? Thank you.

oil and coolant mixing
By Bruce Gray on 11/22/09 14:35 PM (PST)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My car at 8 years of age, but only 39,000 miles developed mixing of oil & coolant. There is no fix except a rebuilt engine ($14,000) from Porsche. One mechanic stated ran into problems needing parts on teardown that Porsche wouldn't supply. Turns out my problem not unique, Could not find one mechanic (coast to coast) or PCA or other tech advisers who had any other fix. Do your own research before buying any Porsche with M96 engine family which includes all Boxsters and 911's from 1999 through 2008. Bruce Gray, Roadrunner Region PCA

M96 engine class cars
By Bruce Gray on 07/26/09 15:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Great car. Owned Porsche's for 35 years until this car began to mix coolant and oil. NO FIX except rebuilt engine. Discovered not unusual. I will perhaps buy a Porsche again but NOT with M96 engine (1999-2008). NO help from PCNA or Porsche even for car with only 39,000 miles. Since average Porsche owner drives 6,000 miles a year, cars are usually out of warranty when the trouble strikes. Problem seems that no mechanic wants to take the engines apart, so only fix is $15,000 factory rebuilt engine. There are estimates out there suggesting 20% of this engine group cars will fail before hit 100,000 miles. Kind of like playing lottery to buy one. Ask a few mechanics about this!!!

My Cherry Red Boxster
By Frankie on 07/23/09 05:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE my Porsche!! It took me 20 years to get my Porsche. It is a dream come true! There is no substitute for this car. I have beaten dodge chargers, mustangs, etc. It takes a curb on a dime. I will never own another car.

gotta get one!
By Rick, Williamsville on 03/16/08 13:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

Very fun car to drive because of it's looks, speed, and handling. It is definitely a head turner. The engine power is good with excellent passing gear acceleration. Great interior design as you can actually speak to one another with the top down at any speed. One of the best sports cars I have owned or have been in. Instrument panel is plain and all controls easy to get to.

The Most Fun Car I Have Ever Owned
By NorCal Enthusiast on 02/02/08 08:29 AM (PST)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned many sports cars in my time -- and convertibles too -- like my MG, and more recenly like my Miata. Both were fun. But graduating to the Boxster is like one day waking up with super powers. It is just that startling. The handling is sublime, the road feel and gearing are wonderful, the whole package is great. The torque curve is well, nonexistent. The engine and gearing are such that you just accelerate smoothly and very quickly. It has been a year, and I am still madly in love with driving this car. It is demanding to drive -- yes - can take your total concentration, but if you live in an area with twisty roads and a benign climate, the it rewards you on a daily basis.

2001 Boxster
By 2001 Boxster on 02/11/07 19:24 PM (PST)

2001 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

This car is a joy to drive. They did an excellent job of designing the car so that you can carry on a conversation at normal voice levels with the top down. This car makes driving fun again! This is the closest I have felt to a car - since I was a young pup and bought a new 944. I am getting tremendous gas mileage. I got over 29 mpg on a day trip a few weekends ago.