Used 2001 Porsche Boxster Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Porsche Boxster - Consumer Reviews

2001 Porsche Boxster

View reviews for a specific Boxster model:

Great Car!!
By Cameron Rogers

2001 Porsche Boxster S 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

It's a great car that really lives up to the Porsche name, but keep in mind it is older. The electronics such as the CPU can be annoying when the weather changes.

It's all fun and games until *SNAP
By Mike Straehley

2001 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I am the third owner of this car and that may be one owner too many. Every 3 months or so something new goes wrong with it, and I have a laundry list of parts I need to restore it like new. Don't get me wrong, I love this car like the mother of a new born baby, but it just never stays in operation. I highly recommend it if you already have a daily driver and want a fun car for the weekend, but if you use it everyday like I do, your heart will be broken again and again.

Everything involved with the act of driving. Everything talks to you whether it is the gear shift, steering or brakes. The driving position is perfect, along with onward visibility. This car is made to be driven and rewards in doing so.

Exhaust is a little too quiet for my taste and so is the stereo. This may be because I bought the car when I was 18, but I feel like I never hear anything to its full potential.

No regrets - Love my Boxster
By az66bug

2001 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 4 years ago with 36,000 miles; I was concerned given the age but I've wanted a Porsche my entire life and couldn't resist the deal.
I did buy a 3yr warranty but canceled it after learning most everything I was concerned about was not covered and considered maintenance items - I was refunded $3000.00 and best thing I ever did.
My Boxster just hit 45,000 miles and I still smile from ear to ear when I drive her.
No major problems outside of routine maintenance and yes, they are expensive to maintain but your driving a Porsche guys, not a Chevy....
Just had the 45K service done, costed $1400.00 but I had all the pulley's replaced because 1 was squeaking. BUY ONE

manual transmission, tight feel, 18" factory chrome wheels, power top, performance, body styling, just about everything

plastic rear window, interior but I like it more than the changes they made in 2004 which is why I wanted a 2003 or earlier model.

East Texas at high speeds
By Josh

2001 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

All I can say is wow! I purchased a used Porsche Boxster for 10k in Feb/Mar 2010, and could not have been happier. The car now has over 108,000 miles on it, and runs like a champ. It easily got up to 122 mph while passing cars driving down that middle lane* (stupid thing to do, but it was just too easy) without realizing how fast the car was going. Driving country roads in East Texas at high speeds (90 mph around 40 mph curves and 120 mph ++ on straight-aways) is a breeze.* apparently there are 2 radiators and it holds 7 gallons of coolant. My water pump went out while I was on the freeway and all that extra fluid saved my motor. *I no longer drive like I mentioned above, but had to share

Step on the gas and the car takes off with an amazing tone from the exhaust. I love my tan leather interior and one press fast up/down windows.

The car causes you to do stupid things like drive 122 mph because it is too easy. The radio and speakers are the worse I have ever heard, but the looks and speed make up for it! Why did they put a plastic window in a 2001 model car? $350 for a water pump and $450 labor to install really hurts.

Weeeeeeeeeee!
By Impboy

2001 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

When I got this Box 2 1/2 years ago, I had just finished driving a 1994 Honda Civic 220,000 miles from brand new. It was time for a new car. I love my Boxster. It's not the fastest car around but it drools every time we find a twisty back road. This car sticks like glue and I never feel out of control even in forced slides on wet pavement. (Hey, gotta have some fun some times!) I've taken it on long trips (over 600 miles in a day) and I have no back ache even though I'm 6'2". If you're thinking about getting one, do your research and get one now! I'm sorry I waited so long to do it myself.

Handling! Easy to maintain. I've done all repairs on the car except replacing a seat cover and the plastic rear window. Oil change - $75 (9 quarts of synthetic). Brakes about $100 per set. Spark plugs - $50 and doable but kind of a pain. Headlight bulb - $10 and done in 5 min. Tires - $335 set.

Buy an S if only for a bit more umph!