Used 1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (22 reviews )

1999 986 Porsche Boxster
By jccash

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

We have 158,000 miles on our 1999 Boxster. We enjoy this car and it's fun to own and drive. Drive it to beach resorts including Myrtle Beach from Longwood, Florida. When I have an issue I take it to Porsche of Orlando and Bruce Cameron and team in the service department take care of us. For the money these older 986's are a great deal. Fun to drive, handles well. I did replace the radio and speakers installing a Kenwood and Focal speakers). I may buy a newer Boxster in the future, but right now we are not in a hurry. 2013 and up Boxter or Caymans are amazing and Porsche of Orlando gives me a loaner when I make an appointment for service.

Fun car to drive. Sticks to the road. Like how it handles curves. Lots of pick up and go.

The 2013 and newer Porsche Boxsters are amazing with more room and power.

Love at First Sight
By JUST RIGHT FOR ME

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

My boxster is not the fastest sports car out there, but boy is it fun to drive. It handles better than any car I have every driven and is not bad on gas.

The convertible top and the looks I get from other drivers when I am out in it.

Make it easier to get to the motor and service it.

Uber Shweet
By Raiffe

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

The car is great! I drive from my home to class mon-fri and not a day goes by when people don't stare! It easily cruses at 100mph and has great highway acceleration in 5th gear. I found that the exhaust wasn't loud enough so I installed one myself and it sounds like a beast. Gas consumption is also amazing for a sports car, I get 26.8 avg. but who really cares! Get it!!!

Turning, letting the back come out, and smoking the tires. Nice! Also the huge amount of engine pressure eliminates the need for braking on the highway and down hills; it also allows the revs to come down much faster for fast shifting.

Better sound system, I installed one of my own. One cup holder. Turbo option would be nice. More spoilers that deploy at high speeds, they are so cool!!!

If you want a smooth and quiet ride...
By AndyInAtlanta

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

Don't buy a boxster if you are looking for a comfortable, smooth luxury ride. I didn't realize getting performance (so to speak) meant having my teeth jarred loose over every pothole. I understand a sports car needs to 'feel the road', but do I have to have my face rubbed in it? I guess I have a 'Princess and the Pea' attitude, cuz I hate feeling every little bump in the road. I love the car, the power is 'ok', the styling is amazing, but they need some kind of upgrade or option for 'smooth ride'. For any sports enthusiast that says 'that's just the way sports cars drive' - not exactly true. Corvettes feel SO much more comfortable. But the boxster was a better value for the $'s.

The sleek exterior. so sexy. I get a natural high every time I see my car.

If I were to keep this car for the long term, I'd look into new suspension or something that makes the ride more bearable. My BMW 325 was very unreliable, but sure was a comfortable ride. The horsepower in 1st and 2nd could be better as well.). Porsche dealers charge too much for service.

1999 Porsche Boxster
By Ken S

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

This car is fun to drive and has superb performance and handling. This car is "one with the road". It's low center of gravity and mid-engine design are the keys to its stability and agility. I bought this car in Germany and routinely drove it on the Autobahn at 120+ mph. It has solid positive control at all speeds. Likewise, it handles like a jungle cat on the mountain switchbacks. It doesn't have an overpowered engine, but with the proper driving skills, this car will do anything you want it to. The exterior styling is sleek and attractive, suggesting speed and performance.

I like the well designed ergonometrics. The optional three spoke steering wheel with expanded hand grip area makes high performance driving an extra pleasure.