1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (21 reviews )
Love at First Sight
By JUST RIGHT FOR ME on 02/01/10 05:30 AM (PST)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

My boxster is not the fastest sports car out there, but boy is it fun to drive. It handles better than any car I have every driven and is not bad on gas.

Uber Shweet
By Raiffe on 10/13/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

The car is great! I drive from my home to class mon-fri and not a day goes by when people don't stare! It easily cruses at 100mph and has great highway acceleration in 5th gear. I found that the exhaust wasn't loud enough so I installed one myself and it sounds like a beast. Gas consumption is also amazing for a sports car, I get 26.8 avg. but who really cares! Get it!!!

If you want a smooth and quiet ride...
By AndyInAtlanta on 02/17/09 12:31 PM (PST)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

Don't buy a boxster if you are looking for a comfortable, smooth luxury ride. I didn't realize getting performance (so to speak) meant having my teeth jarred loose over every pothole. I understand a sports car needs to 'feel the road', but do I have to have my face rubbed in it? I guess I have a 'Princess and the Pea' attitude, cuz I hate feeling every little bump in the road. I love the car, the power is 'ok', the styling is amazing, but they need some kind of upgrade or option for 'smooth ride'. For any sports enthusiast that says 'that's just the way sports cars drive' - not exactly true. Corvettes feel SO much more comfortable. But the boxster was a better value for the $'s.

1999 Porsche Boxster
By Ken S on 09/01/06 04:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

This car is fun to drive and has superb performance and handling. This car is "one with the road". It's low center of gravity and mid-engine design are the keys to its stability and agility. I bought this car in Germany and routinely drove it on the Autobahn at 120+ mph. It has solid positive control at all speeds. Likewise, it handles like a jungle cat on the mountain switchbacks. It doesn't have an overpowered engine, but with the proper driving skills, this car will do anything you want it to. The exterior styling is sleek and attractive, suggesting speed and performance.

Nothing Better
By Rob Wilson-Black on 08/31/06 17:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

The Boxster is a great every day driving car, but ice can be a challenge without specific tire changes. Be careful never to let water into the air intakes on the side of the body, especially while washing your car, as this can lead to serious engine trouble. The classic body holds its beauty and there's nothing more fun to drive, except for the 911 obviously. This car is great for kids in the passenger's seat because one can off the airbag. The 1999 year is among the best for engine reliability and Consumer Reports agrees with that in years past. What a value for the dollar. It loses only about $3,200 dollars per year in value. It is the cheapest sports car and there are tons of used ones are out there. European delivery was the best.

The Spirit lives
By Charles on 06/14/06 20:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

The Boxster captures the true essence of a sports car. I have had had several sports cars, triumph TR-3s, TR-4, MGA coupe, an Austin Healy 100-6 and four Alfa Romeos. Their spirit lives in the Boxster, top down, skimming the ground and cornering - I live for the on and off ramps. I feel like I am one with the car.

My Get Away Car
By Barry on 06/06/06 12:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

I am absolutely crazy about this car. The handling is superb. I've been through BMW 635s, Z3s, Audi A6 and a 911 but my Boxster is by far the best handling car I've ever been around. It is effortless, precise as a surgeon and the exhaust note is stunning throughout the rpm range. A sexy car..it is a sports car so if you have a tender butt....buy a Lexus. If you want something that becomes part of you...buy a Porsche. There really is no substitute. They are expensive to maintain but who cares!

'99 Boxster is excellent 2nd owner car!
By Maria Vitakis on 05/25/06 21:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

This older model, low-end Porsche drives better than any of the top of the line cars from other manufacturers. It is quick, solid and takes curves better than any other car on the road. After a year and a half my daily work commute is still an exciting experience. I can drive anywhere, park anywhere and the valets fight for my keys! If this is Porsche's basic model, I can't even imagine what a Carrera must be like.

I Love it!
By M on 11/25/05 03:02 AM (PST)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

I Love my Porsche Boxster. She purrs perfectly, has sleek curves and drives the way a high performance vehicle should. She has more than enough storage space, front and back and looks sexy!

Fun Car
By flyguy on 09/26/05 14:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Porsche Boxster Convertible 2dr Convertible

Owning a Porsche Boxster is a lot of fun. They handle great. It only seats two passenagers, but that can be good too. ;) Oil changes are pricy, but they only need to be done every 5,000 miles ($160).