Used 1997 Porsche Boxster Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Porsche Boxster - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (15 reviews )

7 year old Boxster
By 60 yr old gear-head

1997 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

waited 11 months after placing pre- production order for 1st year Boxter. I drove it to work everyday for 4 years and just as a fun 2nd car for the last 3 years: hence, the very low milage. very reliable, had a freaky problem with the folding top after warranty expired. Bill was $2,000. Porsche Corp. was actually embarrased and paid it in full! Impressive!

Favorite Features

great exhaust note at high revs. Amazing cornering. decent gas mileage, esp. since premium is required. Minimal wind buffeting with top down

Suggested Improvements

sound system in adequate with top down. even though it's quite peppy, after a while I wished for faster zero to 60. Highway passing is great, however. BoxterS or the new Cayman might better satisfy my "need for speed"

I love my Boxster
By Chef John

1997 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

It is a 1997, I have yet to meet anyone who thinks it is more than three years old. I used to drive a Mazda Miata. The Boxster turns heads on every drive. People think that I am rich or something. Get one that has been loved. Have it checked by an independant mechanic. Look for oil leaks. Mine is dry as a bone. Be aware that the Boxster is a "gateway" Porsche. You will move on to the next level.

Favorite Features

Front and back trunks.

not only snob appeal
By sam kalter

1997 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

Bought certified used when prices were still firm (high). Not the case w/2-seaters today; makes this car ,or better an "S",great value for the money. This car is a pleasure to live with...notwithstanding the high costs when something does go wrong...it just makes me feel good to get in it...I still stare back at it after almost (5) years but thats how it is with Porsches-and yes, this a real Porsche .p.s.Even w/T.C.,useless in snow p.p.s.go for the full leather interior,a major difference on early models.

Favorite Features

Great to look at, could be the nicest looking roadster ever... a blast to drive, even w/over 80K on the clock. Overall quality.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine(answered on later models)Beware- the early top cables can break:make sure car has ugraded later hardware this can be ugly($2000+)Give the factory credit- they warrenteed the bulk of my repair even though it was was well out or warranty. My dog asks:why does she have to sit on the floor?

Love the Boxster
By blueboxsterlover

1997 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

Great car! Very fun to drive and handles beautifully. It's hard to drive my SUV after driving the Boxster--I have to slow down for the corners in the SUV. Easy to drive and maintain. It's a very classic car also--the body style has remained basically the same and it's beauty is timeless. Lots of admiring looks when I drive this car around town.

Favorite Features

Handling and the look of the car are my two favorite features.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders would be nice.

Fun to Drive
By Bill77

1997 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

There is nothing better for a car lover than red, lots of power, no top and no back seat. I can't help but smile when driving this car. This was worth every cent.

Favorite Features

very roomy for two seater

Suggested Improvements

the plastic window on the soft top has got to go......