Used 1990 Porsche 944 Convertible Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

S2 3.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )

It's a Porsche, right?
By karguy944

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

How can you go wrong? The 944 S2 is a bargain at most retail prices. I bought my S2 cabrio in 2004 for around $8200 with less than 100K. Admittedly, I don't put a lot of miles on it, but in 2015, w/ 112k, it runs beautifully! Every few years I bring it into the local Porsche dealer for a full over haul, but even this service is very reasonable. I think I have maybe put about $4k in service (including a new top). But compared to a vintage 911 this is nothing. I love this car for its performance and reliability. I doubt I will ever sell it.

Appearance, overall performance.

The air cleaner replacement is abysmal. And recharging the a/c (location of the LP port) is challenging. All-in-all maintenance in general is difficult on this car.

944 S2w Cabbie
By 944 S2 Cabbi

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

I have had a 944S2 Cabbie for 5 years now. It has been re-chipped, de-catted and tuned, the performance is fantastic. 0 60 in 5.5 secs 150 mph (just), 28 mpg, utterly reliable, everywhere you go people comment and ask what model it is. It is not just a classic - it's a master classic. INCREDIBLE VALUE AT £10,000 for the performance - it's amazing. This is the 2nd Porsche I've had, previously a 944 Lux (2,5) - junk in comparison. Insurance group 20, but only £250 fully comp!! There is not another car made I would swap this for, not even a Carrera S 4 - simply too expensive to run. 911's not in the same ballpark, slow and unreliable, overpriced and uncomfortable. A very happy man!

Drop dead gorgeous. Looks, performance, reliability, mpg, badge, brakes, 4 seats. Convertible. Water cooled, unprecedented value for money. Just about everything really.

De-cat exhaust - adds incredible torque special plugs, re-chip engine program and air filter provide 964 matched performance, quicker than 968. Turbo style wheels from 911 completely change appearance. Remove convertible hood motor, even quicker! Just incredible!

Only thing missing is a cup holder!
By Indy mike

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

It is a really fun car to drive. Rare car! You want see one often. Unique. I find it unusual that a 18 year old car that had a sticker price of 50K+ could be selling for $5,000.00 (not! you will not find one in good shape sell for this) I paid $11,000.00 and I think I got a deal. If you are a car nut seek this one out. You won't be disappointed. I was amazed at the comfort of the car. It is small looking, I was worried I would not fit in it, being I'm 6'-2". I do fit well. I would not recommend for anyone taller. If you have not driven 1? Do! Nothing like going down a curvy road at 100+ Handling is a dream. Hugs the road like its attached to it. This car is happiest at about a 100-110. GL

Suspension and acceleration. Nothing like it.

Cup Holder! Interior is a little dated. Redo of interior is something I am going to do. Honestly that is it.

Interesting car
By JOE SMITH

I have owned the car for more than 3
years. Very nice - but be prepared to
TAKE CARE OF THE CAR. This is not a
Honda Civic that only needs an oil
change. It will need new belts every
30K and extras to make sure she stays
in top running condition. With that
said ... this car will make you smile
:-) every time you drive it. TMF -
tooooo much fun!!! The handling is
very precise and forgiving if you push
beyond the limits. Excelent balance,
not a drag racer, a road car - a track
car.

She loves corners!! Yes - I like mine very very much, but do not buy an S2 if you are not willing to pay to keep it in top running condition. The more work you can do yourself the more rewarding this car will be.

Awesome
By DeGrooter

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

I've put 6000 miles on my 944 Cab.
Now totalling 18,500 miles on the
odometer. Best purchase I've ever
made. Looks, speed, cornering, style
and features are just right. I
receive many compliments on this baby
that is perfect and also is 13 years
old. She sleeps in the winter time,
but when the temps are up, and the sun
is out, so is she! SSSWEET!!

It's a Porsche!

They did it right! Maybe it'll come back into production some day.