Used 1990 Porsche 944 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Porsche 944 - Consumer Reviews

S2 3.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (8 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Interesting car
By JOE SMITH

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

I have owned the car for more than 3 years. Very nice - but be prepared to TAKE CARE OF THE CAR. This is not a Honda Civic that only needs an oil change. It will need new belts every 30K and extras to make sure she stays in top running condition. With that said ... this car will make you smile :-) every time you drive it. TMF - tooooo much fun!!! The handling is very precise and forgiving if you push beyond the limits. Excelent balance, not a drag racer, a road car - a track car.

Favorite Features

She loves corners!! Yes - I like mine very very much, but do not buy an S2 if you are not willing to pay to keep it in top running condition. The more work you can do yourself the more rewarding this car will be.

Only thing missing is a cup holder!
By Indy mike

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

It is a really fun car to drive. Rare car! You want see one often. Unique. I find it unusual that a 18 year old car that had a sticker price of 50K+ could be selling for $5,000.00 (not! you will not find one in good shape sell for this) I paid $11,000.00 and I think I got a deal. If you are a car nut seek this one out. You won't be disappointed. I was amazed at the comfort of the car. It is small looking, I was worried I would not fit in it, being I'm 6'-2". I do fit well. I would not recommend for anyone taller. If you have not driven 1? Do! Nothing like going down a curvy road at 100+ Handling is a dream. Hugs the road like its attached to it. This car is happiest at about a 100-110. GL

Favorite Features

Suspension and acceleration. Nothing like it.

Suggested Improvements

Cup Holder! Interior is a little dated. Redo of interior is something I am going to do. Honestly that is it.

944 S2w Cabbie
By 944 S2 Cabbi

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

I have had a 944S2 Cabbie for 5 years now. It has been re-chipped, de-catted and tuned, the performance is fantastic. 0 60 in 5.5 secs 150 mph (just), 28 mpg, utterly reliable, everywhere you go people comment and ask what model it is. It is not just a classic - it's a master classic. INCREDIBLE VALUE AT 10,000 for the performance - it's amazing. This is the 2nd Porsche I've had, previously a 944 Lux (2,5) - junk in comparison. Insurance group 20, but only 250 fully comp!! There is not another car made I would swap this for, not even a Carrera S 4 - simply too expensive to run. 911's not in the same ballpark, slow and unreliable, overpriced and uncomfortable. A very happy man!

Favorite Features

Drop dead gorgeous. Looks, performance, reliability, mpg, badge, brakes, 4 seats. Convertible. Water cooled, unprecedented value for money. Just about everything really.

Suggested Improvements

De-cat exhaust - adds incredible torque special plugs, re-chip engine program and air filter provide 964 matched performance, quicker than 968. Turbo style wheels from 911 completely change appearance. Remove convertible hood motor, even quicker! Just incredible!

SSSweet!
By Porschaholic

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

I've heard the word more than once since I bought my cabriolet! She's in excellent shape well maintained and number 4 in my list of Porsche's owned.It's fun to drive and nice to look at. Always have a special place in my heart for the 944 style.

Favorite Features

CONVERTIBLE !!!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a stabilizer bar, floats a little into corners

Awesome
By DeGrooter

1990 Porsche 944 Convertible S2 2dr Convertible

I've put 6000 miles on my 944 Cab. Now totalling 18,500 miles on the odometer. Best purchase I've ever made. Looks, speed, cornering, style and features are just right. I receive many compliments on this baby that is perfect and also is 13 years old. She sleeps in the winter time, but when the temps are up, and the sun is out, so is she! SSSWEET!!

Favorite Features

It's a Porsche!

Suggested Improvements

They did it right! Maybe it'll come back into production some day.