2002 Porsche 911 Consumer Review: Awesome Targa!!

2002 Porsche 911 - Consumer Review

Targa Coupe (3.6L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Awesome Targa!!
By Jonas on

2002 Porsche 911 Targa Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I frequently change vehicles and have had some of the greats in the mid- price range - Elise, NSX, S2000. The 911 edges out the NSX for top honors in my opinion. It gives an unbelievably smooth ride when calm, but upon hard acceleration or cornering tightens up significantly. This is the first of the cars I've owned that my wife will drive. I've only had the car for a few months, but it hasn't missed a beat. Also, the torque curve is much more linear than any car I've previously owned. It's a welcoming contrast to the lack of bottom end power I've experienced in the past. In my opinion the Targa design is far superior to the standard 911; the glass breaks up the roof line nicely.

Exterior Styling - loved it since I was a kid. Rear Wing - just icing on the cake. Manual Transmission - one of the smoothest manuals around. Linear Power - as previously mentioned. 3rd Gear at 3500 rpm - drop the hammer and you'll giggle like a school girl.

Steering Wheel - no adjustment allowed. This is the most annoying thing in the world to me. Forces you to change your natural driving position. Seat Bolsters - not as aggressive as I would like. Seats are a bit flat for such a performance oriented car.