Used 2002 Porsche 911 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 911 model:

Little Fast Tank
By goodtogo

2002 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I drive it to work everyday depending on which office between 20 and 60 miles. I can't get over how solid and rigid it is, just like a fast tank. I put one O2 sensor in it (it has four) and an oil separator that's it, except for tires.

Favorite Features

The interior is smart and the a/c works amazing with the thermostat set (in SW Florida heat) outside temps in excess of 100. Car runs cool on interstate or traffic, handles great with tons of power in every gear. I want to buy another one and keep this one.

Suggested Improvements

The seats could have more cushion (I'm 63)

A tremendous sports car for the money
By eDoug

2002 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Since prices have come down on these, they represent a tremendous value for anyone seeking a sports car, and anyone charmed by the voluptuous shape and performance of a 911. While many snuffed the new looks of the 996 chassis and design, it's unmistakably all 911... and the performance on and off the track are testimony to it's heritage. There are some weak points mechanically in some cars, but this is factored in to the low prices we're seeing for these models. 2002 added some nice goodies - and it's a great year... Would I love a 2009 997? Perhaps, but when you might be able to pay cash for a 2002 with only incrementally lower performance (but less weight, too), it's an easy decision.

Favorite Features

Great power, handling, looks, sound.

Suggested Improvements

Interior is slightly dated, but it looks like a sports car - and has all the creature comforts you might expect. Want navigation? Go aftermarket, better quality anyway...

An unexpected Pleasure
By Giovanni B.

2002 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Always fun to drive, even after 7+ years of ownership. I would recommend buying a set of winter tires to anyone who lives in a cold climate, especially if you expect to drive in snow regularly. Without them, the garage is the best place for the car! However, with a set of snows traction becomes very good & driving confidence climbs considerably. This is my ONLY car and I use it in all sorts of nasty weather. I don't baby it at all.

Favorite Features

The most amazing and unexpected thing for me has been the car's reliability. True, upkeep ain't cheap, but aside from a couple of flats - expensive proposition, those tires! - I've never been stranded anywhere for anything. I don't hesitate to jump in the car and wolf off 5 - 700 miles.

Suggested Improvements

The biggest gripe I have is with the tires. They perform very well BUT they are sooooo fragile - and soooo expensive to replace when you destroy one. I'm also tempted to say that on many occasions I'd love a quieter interior, but hey, it's a Porsche - fancy - sports car right?

Awesome Targa!!
By Jonas

2002 Porsche 911 Coupe Targa Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I frequently change vehicles and have had some of the greats in the mid- price range - Elise, NSX, S2000. The 911 edges out the NSX for top honors in my opinion. It gives an unbelievably smooth ride when calm, but upon hard acceleration or cornering tightens up significantly. This is the first of the cars I've owned that my wife will drive. I've only had the car for a few months, but it hasn't missed a beat. Also, the torque curve is much more linear than any car I've previously owned. It's a welcoming contrast to the lack of bottom end power I've experienced in the past. In my opinion the Targa design is far superior to the standard 911; the glass breaks up the roof line nicely.

Favorite Features

Exterior Styling - loved it since I was a kid. Rear Wing - just icing on the cake. Manual Transmission - one of the smoothest manuals around. Linear Power - as previously mentioned. 3rd Gear at 3500 rpm - drop the hammer and you'll giggle like a school girl.

Suggested Improvements

Steering Wheel - no adjustment allowed. This is the most annoying thing in the world to me. Forces you to change your natural driving position. Seat Bolsters - not as aggressive as I would like. Seats are a bit flat for such a performance oriented car.

None better
By 02 911 Targa

2002 Porsche 911 Coupe Targa Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

This car is amazing and is tough to beat. The best sports car on the streets today.

Favorite Features

styling performance quality features

Suggested Improvements

none