2002 Porsche 911 Carrera Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

The True Driver's Car!
By robliski

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

If you want a true sports car that has been designed around the driver, then this is the car for you. The engine performance is excellent, the sound is beautiful when she sings. Handling is very crisp and gives the driver an excellent feel of connectedness with the car. The interior is relatively comfortable with 2 little seats for the kids. The car has to be owned by a person who has basic mechanical knowledge and understands the concept of "Preventive Maintenance", otherwise it can cost the owner very dearly. But don't worry as there is a lot of help out there since this car has a lot of following.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, sound, transmission, interior & exterior look, 2+2 but 2 seater feel. Very driver and driving focused.

Suggested Improvements

Highly Recommended Preventive Maintenance: Intermediate Shaft Bearing (IMS) Upgrade Rear Main Seal (RMS) Air Oil Separator (AOS) Water Pump

The best sports car ever
By johnef805

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Convertable No there not cheep but they are well worth the money

Daily Driver
By Richard

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I drive the car all year round in the northeast. I recently rebuilt the engine. The piston rings were shot and I was burning more oil than gas.

Favorite Features

AWD. Makes driving in the snow fun. Just have to watch out for others without AWD

Suggested Improvements

cup holders.

2002 996 Cab
By WSM996

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

This has been a great car. I looked at 997s but, for the money, the the 996 seemed like the best buy. It's an everyday driver and I drive it from Austin to Dallas every week for work. A lot of fun; surprising economy; very comfortable seating.

2002 C2 Cab - 4th 911
By Bob in Fort Myers

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

My 4th 911, first water cooled and the best of the lot. Reliable and an absolute blast to drive even around town. There is nothing like a 911, especially a rag top with the top down. I bought a museum quality car and keep it that way as a pleasure car. When I take it out I feel the bit of celebrity a Porsche 911 brings to the road. I love the power top and the complex way the rear deck comes up to hide it, but it squeaks when going up and down and has a small intermittent rattle. No real problem. Hope to own a 911 until I die and would be buried in one but it would be a shame to deprive someone else of the pleasure of driving the car.

Favorite Features

Style, style, style. Nothing is like a Porsche. Build quality, metallic paint, full leather interior, power, gear shift, and clutch. Cinnamon full leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

Top rattles a little, only intermittently and no problem. Porsche should offer touch up paint for custom color interiors. I have one or two small chips which a magnifying glass can find.

First Porsche C4 Cabriolet
By Mr King

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Spring 2008 acquired beautiful used factory certified 2002 cab in seal gray over black leather with 33,000 miles for less than 50% original window sticker. Tight as a drum. Fast, fun, smooth, reliable, comfortable and sure-footed. Can confidently drive very fast. Daily driver is a 2007 BMW 335 coupe. A truly great machine but there's nothing like a ragtop Porsche in the twisties on a summer night or spring/fall day. I see a 997 TT cabriolet in my future.

Favorite Features

Driving experience, acceleration, exhaust sound, breaking, reliability, premium sound system, beautiful body design with rocker flares, factory sport 18" wheels, 2 year 100,000 mile certified factory warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Dash board in early 996s not as inspiring as later years or 997s. Convertible top squeaks a bit right over my head and material pulling away from rear folding mechanism. Sometimes I miss the more visceral road connection I experienced in the 2005 Honda S2000 I had before the Porsche.

Fatal Attraction!!
By Frank

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

What can I say more. The title says it all! I finally got my dream car and it was absolutely worth the wait! I have a triple black 911 and I look forward each week for the Fridays, the Saturdays, and the Sundays to take her out for a run!! Thank you Porsche!!

Favorite Features

Besides being a head turner? Acceleration, 6 speed manual, overall interior and exterior design!

Suggested Improvements

Figure out a space for my golf clubs. Uh, never mind! I'd rather drive my Porsche!

Low ratio Quality/Cost
By Broken

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

Car just lost power and stopped downtown with no warning, engine is broken, waiting for repair appointment and estimates. I am disappointed with quality, On- board computer has no diagnostic message to display.

Favorite Features

Power, speed.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality of the mechanic.

996 - C4
By Craig H

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

This is a gorgeous fun car. I prefer it any day to my E55 AMG (which is MUCH quicker) - nothing has the cache of the Porsche. Top-down and it doesn't get any better on a warm afternoon in the Asheville hills.

Favorite Features

You drive this car - really drive it. It has perfect placement of everything (but the cup holder). It's fast and subtle.

Suggested Improvements

It is a perfect car. (ok ... give us all lumbar as a std feature).

I love this car!
By Sam

2002 Porsche 911 Convertible Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.6L 6cyl 6M)

I've had all kinds of cars and many Porsches over the years. I race a Porsche 944 competitively and this is my weekend toy. Despite some of the negatives that you might hear about the 996, these are awesome, modern Porsches. This car is fantastic in every way. Invest in a remote top from Wilhelmy and operate the top from the key fob. I can't live without mine!

Favorite Features

Power, power top, looks, seat heaters, and build quality.

Suggested Improvements

More HP of course!