Used 2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Porsche 911 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe

View reviews for a specific 911 model:

There is a reason this is such an automotive Icon!
By DRGibbs1984

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

So here's the deal, this is my only car and I daily drive it year round in Toronto. It had 118,000km on it when I bought it and two years later I've put on another 50,000km. Its fast, sexy, comfortable, built to last a lifetime, quite practice and oh so much fun! We've take it on long road trips, to the cottage, to get groceries, fishing... you get the idea. With just an engine chip and a few little things it runs 11.7 @ 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile... plus when the snow flies the AWD makes it I've owned a lot of nice cars and I'm convinced this is automotive perfection. Timeless design and these things are only going to be going up in value - just look at the 911 Turbo's of the past.

Favorite Features

Power, AWD, Rear Engine fun, 6-speed manual, Looks, Bullet proof driveline!

Suggested Improvements

None - Just stop procrastinating and go buy one!

German Supermodel
By Foxtrot X-ray

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Car-girl analogies are a bit cliche but my experience with the 911 turbo is like a regular guy dating a German Supermodel. The first date is an intimidating experience that makes you feel twitchy, nervous, and out of place. After some time together, it becomes apparent that the supermodel is very special but also a "regular girl" with a wonderful personality. You do not have to drive fast to have fun in the turbo. With the windows down and the sunroof open you can hear the purr of the twin turbo flat 6 and you can't help but feel happy. I think I am beginning to understand the reasons behind the Porsche 911's legendary reputation.

Favorite Features

This car is always in the "sweet- spot". Driving to and from work has become one of the best parts of the day.

Suggested Improvements

I find first gear to be a bit awkward in this car. It is a very short gear and it is easy to stall if you attempt to accelerate quickly. My radio and rear spoiler don't work.

Reliable, fun daily commuter car
By Madmanners

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I bought it late 2004 after crashing my '94 SL500 (183,000 miles). This car is seriously fun to drive. Passengers might complain about the very firm ride; but I am all smiles as I straighten every curve! My only real complaint is the Porsche tax, which makes the Mercedes tax look reasonable. However, this car has been the most reliable German car that I've owned. The rear main seal failed at 99,500 miles (replaced under 100,000 mile warranty), the ignition key housing cracked (not a warranty item), I replaced the clutch when the rear main seal failed, the cooling system leaked twice, and the ac condenser had to be replaced. This is car is not an Infiniti. Otherwise, routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

The handling is nonintoxicatingly confidence inspiring. This car fits me like a glove despite my five and a half foot frame. I enjoy great visibility and ergonomics.

Suggested Improvements

The acceleration is not as great as many contemporary vehicles. I find myself thinking that I should have sprung for the S version. I wish Porsche offered a hardtop convertible; the hardtop convertible BMW 650 will likely be my next car when it arrives.

WOW, now this is a sports car!
By spamjuice

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After sending away my 2004 M3, I bought my 2001 911 Turbo and what a difference that was. This car will give you goose bumps in the turns, acceleration, the roar of the rear engine and in braking. It even looks fast at the stop light! I have to admit, it took me a little time to adjust to the rear weight bias, but overall, the car is very manageable. I only dared to switch the PSM off every now and then. Everything is fantastic in the car, the interior with the curves look more Italian than German. Never had a problem with it so far, built like a tank.

Favorite Features

Everything is awesome and well thought out in that car.

Suggested Improvements

none.

Fantastic Car
By 2001 911 Cpe

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

The 911 Carerra is a great car. Excellent performance in a package you can drive every day. And it looks great. Car seems rock solid, and I have had no problems with it. Looking forward to Porsche DE.

Favorite Features

Performance, looks, and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

None.