2001 Porsche 911 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 911 model:
German Supermodel
By Foxtrot X-ray on 09/04/10 07:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Car-girl analogies are a bit cliche but my experience with the 911 turbo is like a regular guy dating a German Supermodel. The first date is an intimidating experience that makes you feel twitchy, nervous, and out of place. After some time together, it becomes apparent that the supermodel is very special but also a "regular girl" with a wonderful personality. You do not have to drive fast to have fun in the turbo. With the windows down and the sunroof open you can hear the purr of the twin turbo flat 6 and you can't help but feel happy. I think I am beginning to understand the reasons behind the Porsche 911's legendary reputation.

Reliable, fun daily commuter car
By Madmanners on 05/05/10 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I bought it late 2004 after crashing my '94 SL500 (183,000 miles). This car is seriously fun to drive. Passengers might complain about the very firm ride; but I am all smiles as I straighten every curve! My only real complaint is the Porsche tax, which makes the Mercedes tax look reasonable. However, this car has been the most reliable German car that I've owned. The rear main seal failed at 99,500 miles (replaced under 100,000 mile warranty), the ignition key housing cracked (not a warranty item), I replaced the clutch when the rear main seal failed, the cooling system leaked twice, and the ac condenser had to be replaced. This is car is not an Infiniti. Otherwise, routine maintenance.

WOW, now this is a sports car!
By spamjuice on 10/29/08 11:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After sending away my 2004 M3, I bought my 2001 911 Turbo and what a difference that was. This car will give you goose bumps in the turns, acceleration, the roar of the rear engine and in braking. It even looks fast at the stop light! I have to admit, it took me a little time to adjust to the rear weight bias, but overall, the car is very manageable. I only dared to switch the PSM off every now and then. Everything is fantastic in the car, the interior with the curves look more Italian than German. Never had a problem with it so far, built like a tank.

Fantastic Car
By 2001 911 Cpe on 06/17/08 21:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

The 911 Carerra is a great car. Excellent performance in a package you can drive every day. And it looks great. Car seems rock solid, and I have had no problems with it. Looking forward to Porsche DE.

What a driving machine!
By Catch me if you can on 05/27/08 23:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I thought about a Caymen S, a 993 or maybe an older air cooled 911. Then I drove the 996. Done! My 996 can be driven at 35 MPH on city streets all day long. Or on the freeway at 65 MPH. Then I downshift and push the pedal! This car is phenomenal! Suspension can be tricky on corners at high speed. Great feedback. Insane braking. Comfortable to drive. Bose stereo is very nice for a small car like this. Definitely get one if you can afford it!

If you can afford it, get one
By DIC_CAMARILLO on 12/26/07 23:12 PM (PST)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

This is our 4th Porsche (2nd water cooled) and its the best we've ever owned. The power is exceptional. Handling is superb. Comfortable to drive - great seats. This car looks fabulous. I recommend the non-turbo for a few reasons. The Carrera is lighter, has a true Porsche feel and you can get an extended warranty - should be purchased. The Turbo is incredible, but the all wheel drive takes some of the challenges out of driving. I like the feeling of knowing where the traction limits are. I think this is what makes a 911 such a fun car to drive. The tail gets a little loose, but not like the older 993 and 911. If you're going to drive this car hard, you need to pay attention.

Get the Six Speed with 18's
By qualityfirst1 on 03/16/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

What a great little car. The interior has a very nice, quality feel. The seats are amazingly comfortable. I have power memory seats which I recommend. The CD player is good, but skips a little. The Bose stereo system sounds very good. It has a gorgeous body with nicely flared out rear fenders. The Litronic HID lights look great and shine a nicely focused beam of light down the road. Now for the good stuff! Its acceleration is strong through the power band, the car will push you back in your seats. The engine sings as its RPMs increase to red line! The shifter is precise and I love how when it's in neutral, it sits right between 3rd and 4th - you can't mis-shift. It corners like shes on rails. The brakes are amazing.

Love at First Sight, Every Time ...
By HTTP403 on 08/03/06 06:55 AM (PDT)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

My Porsche 911 never fails to exceed my expectations. Whether it is a drive up to the cottage, a cross country trip to the East Coast (2,500 km), competing in Targa Newfoundland, taking it to Mosport for track days or going out for groceries this car delivers whatever is required. The running costs of the car aren't excessive and insurance wasn't a killer (one of the benefits of middle age). Five years after buying it I'm still surprised at how much fun it is and how great it looks. If you're a car fan you owe it to yourself to get into one of these if you can. And the good news is they just keep getting better!

No Worries Performance
By vvassallo on 06/09/06 17:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After 5 months with the car, I can say it is pretty awesome. This is the most value for your money in supercars if you buy a low mileage 2001. Its handling stock is decent, but a bit mushy - coil over upgrades take care of that. There's plenty of HP on tap to embarrass all but the most exotica on the road. Get a warranty. Parts and maintenance are better priced than Ferrari, but stout. This car's most dangerous trait is how it accelerates like a missile before you know it. PSM keeps it tame in the twisties. It's not a Ferrari, but it's pretty close. The wow factor is not as much as you might like if you crave attention though.

911 Turbo rocks
By Al Temail on 11/24/05 21:57 PM (PST)

2001 Porsche 911 Coupe Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

If you have the money and you want to experience real performance, try the 911 Turbo. The car is almost too fast for the streets of Dallas, you need plenty of room when you get into it because in a flash you'll be at 85 and there's huge upside from there. If I don't hit 110 everyday (even for a moment) it's a sad day. There are plenty of reasonably priced mods that you can do to increase performance - if you need it. Bear in mind there is a Porsche tax which means the same part for BMW will cost 50% less and the same part for a Mercedes will cost 30% less. As the saying goes, speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?