Used 2001 Porsche 911 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Porsche 911 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 911 model:

There is a reason this is such an automotive Icon!
By DRGibbs1984

2001 Porsche 911 Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

So here's the deal, this is my only car and I daily drive it year round in Toronto. It had 118,000km on it when I bought it and two years later I've put on another 50,000km. Its fast, sexy, comfortable, built to last a lifetime, quite practice and oh so much fun! We've take it on long road trips, to the cottage, to get groceries, fishing... you get the idea. With just an engine chip and a few little things it runs 11.7 @ 120 MPH in the 1/4 mile... plus when the snow flies the AWD makes it I've owned a lot of nice cars and I'm convinced this is automotive perfection. Timeless design and these things are only going to be going up in value - just look at the 911 Turbo's of the past.

Power, AWD, Rear Engine fun, 6-speed manual, Looks, Bullet proof driveline!

None - Just stop procrastinating and go buy one!

German Supermodel
By Foxtrot X-ray

2001 Porsche 911 Turbo AWD 2dr Coupe (3.6L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Car-girl analogies are a bit cliche but my experience with the 911 turbo is like a regular guy dating a German Supermodel. The first date is an intimidating experience that makes you feel twitchy, nervous, and out of place. After some time together, it becomes apparent that the supermodel is very special but also a "regular girl" with a wonderful personality. You do not have to drive fast to have fun in the turbo. With the windows down and the sunroof open you can hear the purr of the twin turbo flat 6 and you can't help but feel happy. I think I am beginning to understand the reasons behind the Porsche 911's legendary reputation.

This car is always in the "sweet- spot". Driving to and from work has become one of the best parts of the day.

I find first gear to be a bit awkward in this car. It is a very short gear and it is easy to stall if you attempt to accelerate quickly. My radio and rear spoiler don't work.

Male Menopause Black on Black Self Gift
By Quijote

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera Rwd 2dr Cabriolet (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

It's the most unreasonable, justifiable smile producing gift any man should indulge in. The Carrera is a tight fit,smooth growl and fun-to-drive, eye brow twitcher racer. Don't second guess yourself-just buy it and you will be rewarded. There is a little burn smell after a hard drive but it seems to be normal.

The sheet metal curves on the body are cool. Brakes are very responsive. Oil changes cost over $125. Don't forget to change the cabin filter. Rear tires erode prematurely. Options are unnecessary.

LED on the A/C display burn out. Rear shocks are a stiff and keep the butt jittery. Wish there was a after-market glove compartment add-on.

Best Car I have ever owned
By Melanie

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Cabriolet (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

We have a small car collection (including an Audi R8 and Audi RS6), the Porsche is not the quickest in the group but it is the most reliable. Its a C4 with the sports package. The C4 corners better than either Audi and there is nothing to compare to the freeing feeling of driving the Porsche with the top down! I have replaced the sound system and added navigation and a radar detector. The car now has 60k mi on it and I have not had one mechanical problem.The battery had to be replaced once and general maintenance that's it! The Audis have had numerous problems and they are both years younger. You cannot beat the elegance, classic style, performance, and reliability of this piece of art!

The sound of the engine, low maintenance costs (for a car in it's league), comfort, easy to obtain parts if needed, lots of after market options to personalize your car (like carbon fiber accents), and it is a timeless piece. Love it, love it, love it!

I recently had a new top with a glass window put on the car, this improved visibility with the top up. I also recently upgraded the sound system. I am going to change the exhaust as well soon, but love the sound! I finally found an aftermarket cup holder for the center console that actually works.

Reliable, fun daily commuter car
By Madmanners

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 AWD 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

I bought it late 2004 after crashing my '94 SL500 (183,000 miles). This car is seriously fun to drive. Passengers might complain about the very firm ride; but I am all smiles as I straighten every curve! My only real complaint is the Porsche tax, which makes the Mercedes tax look reasonable. However, this car has been the most reliable German car that I've owned. The rear main seal failed at 99,500 miles (replaced under 100,000 mile warranty), the ignition key housing cracked (not a warranty item), I replaced the clutch when the rear main seal failed, the cooling system leaked twice, and the ac condenser had to be replaced. This is car is not an Infiniti. Otherwise, routine maintenance.

The handling is nonintoxicatingly confidence inspiring. This car fits me like a glove despite my five and a half foot frame. I enjoy great visibility and ergonomics.

The acceleration is not as great as many contemporary vehicles. I find myself thinking that I should have sprung for the S version. I wish Porsche offered a hardtop convertible; the hardtop convertible BMW 650 will likely be my next car when it arrives.