Used 1996 Porsche 911 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 911 model:

Awesome Car
By andyboy46

1996 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera Targa 2dr Coupe

I test drove dozens of Porsche's & read a lot about all models, from early 993's, 996's, Turbo 996's and a couple of 997's. There is nothing that compares to the style, sound, power, build quality of the amazing 993 car. It is practical and fun to drive. In my opinion the last of the air cooled Porsche was and still is the best, most stylish all round sports car on the road. Every time I get behind the wheel I am glad I bought the "old school" model, it has a style and personality that will never be manufactured again. It took me 6 months to get used to it but I just love this car.

Style style style!! The sound !! of the best Air cooled engine ever made A true drivers car A car, people can't help but sneak a look at!

I wouldn't change a thing about this car

1996 Carrera 2 Coupe
By jtrane

1996 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 2dr Coupe

I've had several sports cars but this one was my dream from the age of 16. No car I can afford is as fun to drive and look at as a typee 993 coupe in silver finish. Fast, great handling and pretty trouble free to operate, though there are a few issues with these cars. To my eye, the 95-98 coke bottle shaped car is better looking than anything earlier and later, and the engine is fairly bullet-proof, with correct maintenance. Buy one of these if you can!

acceleration cornering top end stopping transition ability in corners

better check stop on doors longer drivetrain warranty correction of 2ndary air intake issue interior design is dull radio reception is poor, but who cares!

Finest car EVER
By tuckersmith

1996 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 4S 2dr Coupe AWD

By far the very best car I've ever owned. Absolutely bullet-proof and a blast to drive.

All

None!

Best 911 model hnds down
By Big Ed

1996 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 4S 2dr Coupe AWD

Buy one now before the price goes up and don't worry about the mileage if serviced properly. A lot of folks will recommend buying the "newest 911" you can afford. Don't believe it. My car has 180,000 miles and the only service has been oil changes. Keep the revs over 3,000 rpms. My local Porsche dealership manager drives one. This is last of the air-cooled 911's and this car has evolved to perfection with over 20-years of continuous engineering improvements that came from Porsche's racing engineering history. The new 911's (997 series) are made to look like these. Why? Because it is a mobile Object D'art. My car is 14yo and still folks jaws drop at the gas pump and heads turn.

Performance is sublime and the more you push the car - the more you learn. Visibility is outstanding. No blind spots when changing lanes. Cornering- riding on rails. Braking, 60-0 in 3 seconds. Acceleration, you can't shift fast enough. I use this car as a daily driver and flog it on Club track days.

Cut a hole in the air box for an extra 8hp. Lower it to European specs. Get some forged allow wheels. Handbrake and shifter upgrade in carbon/aluminum worth the money. Aluminum pedals- great. Turbo S tail gives it a menacing persona. Unless you track the car, use Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires.

How to wipe that smile off?
By ben993

1996 Porsche 911 Coupe Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is my 4th in the 911 range in my 12 years. By far the most reliable (save for the CEL issue which was resolved under warranty in my case) and beautiful of the air cooled series. It's a 4th car in the family, so gets limited use these days. Nonetheless, 15 mins in this thing, feeling every nook and cranny of the road, and feathering the throttle to keep the tail in check really, really turns a bad day around. Yes, the folks at the office know what I spend my lunch hour if I return in a better mood. Values are holidng well, and it'll remain a cult classic. I'll add a 5th car soon - a 1997 Twin Turbo and this old workhorse will become my track buddy.

Everything you need, Nothing you don't. None of the fancy electronics associated with cars today. Just a skillful orchestration of right foot and hands. Remember: Slow in, Fast out, don't trail brake,

1. Needs shocks that last beyond 30K miles. 2. How about not having a ride height like that of an SOV for US bound cars? 3. I don't like to pay MORE to get less - why should an RS model cost so much more for so little less?