Used 1996 Porsche 911 Carrera Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 911 model:

1996 Carrera 2 Coupe
By jtrane

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

I've had several sports cars but this one was my dream from the age of 16. No car I can afford is as fun to drive and look at as a typee 993 coupe in silver finish. Fast, great handling and pretty trouble free to operate, though there are a few issues with these cars. To my eye, the 95-98 coke bottle shaped car is better looking than anything earlier and later, and the engine is fairly bullet-proof, with correct maintenance. Buy one of these if you can!

Favorite Features

acceleration cornering top end stopping transition ability in corners

Suggested Improvements

better check stop on doors longer drivetrain warranty correction of 2ndary air intake issue interior design is dull radio reception is poor, but who cares!

How to wipe that smile off?
By ben993

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is my 4th in the 911 range in my 12 years. By far the most reliable (save for the CEL issue which was resolved under warranty in my case) and beautiful of the air cooled series. It's a 4th car in the family, so gets limited use these days. Nonetheless, 15 mins in this thing, feeling every nook and cranny of the road, and feathering the throttle to keep the tail in check really, really turns a bad day around. Yes, the folks at the office know what I spend my lunch hour if I return in a better mood. Values are holidng well, and it'll remain a cult classic. I'll add a 5th car soon - a 1997 Twin Turbo and this old workhorse will become my track buddy.

Favorite Features

Everything you need, Nothing you don't. None of the fancy electronics associated with cars today. Just a skillful orchestration of right foot and hands. Remember: Slow in, Fast out, don't trail brake,

Suggested Improvements

1. Needs shocks that last beyond 30K miles. 2. How about not having a ride height like that of an SOV for US bound cars? 3. I don't like to pay MORE to get less - why should an RS model cost so much more for so little less?

Get a leak down test!
By digdoug

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is a great sports car, but buyer BEWARE! Get a leakdown test and compression test before buying. There are tricks that can be done to these cars to make the engine appear to be in good shape when the are clearly not. These cars are know to burn oil as the engine expands and contracts, but they also are known to have issues related to inferior metals used. A top end rebuild will set you back $6,000 or more! My car is definitely burning a little oil but it runs well. The biggest problem is the car will not pass emissions because of the burning oil. Eventually I will get the top-end rebuild. Do yourself a favor and RESEARCH these cars. They are fun but can be very costly if you get a bad one.

Favorite Features

The speed, looks, and feel.

Suggested Improvements

Build more reliable engines!

Original and Still Happy Owner
By Gerry in So Cal

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

My 993 is able to turn a really bad day into something fine in about 15 minutes. There are some great freeways and mountain roads nearby and I sometimes "race" motorcycles on the twisty bends (but I lose to most of them). This is the last of the air-cooled 911s and seems to be a perfect, rugged little tank of a car. It DOES require full attention when driving at higher speeds as it has few computer overrides to save one's butt--but that is OK. It is a third car and I drive it only on evenings or weekends-but once in a while I use as a daily driver when the other cars are in for repairs, and it seems fine for that kind of use. The local dealer's service techs say that this is the best model.

Favorite Features

The sound of the engine revving at high RPMs is that great "chain saw through sheet metal" rush. Steering is just dead spot on with no play or slop. Seat and driving position is perfect for me and seems very adjustable for others.

Suggested Improvements

After almost ten years I can't think of any. This is a really fine machine.

What a treat!
By Sarahfink

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

Last of the air cooled 911's ('95-'98). The sound and ride are "priceless" as the ad says. Looks, handling, comfort, speed - what else do you need? No cup holders... get over it!

Favorite Features

Exterior design & sound of engine!

Suggested Improvements

Perfection... can not be improved....