1996 Porsche 911 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 911 model:
1996 Carrera 2 Coupe
By jtrane on 08/26/11 08:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

I've had several sports cars but this one was my dream from the age of 16. No car I can afford is as fun to drive and look at as a typee 993 coupe in silver finish. Fast, great handling and pretty trouble free to operate, though there are a few issues with these cars. To my eye, the 95-98 coke bottle shaped car is better looking than anything earlier and later, and the engine is fairly bullet-proof, with correct maintenance. Buy one of these if you can!

How to wipe that smile off?
By ben993 on 08/05/07 22:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is my 4th in the 911 range in my 12 years. By far the most reliable (save for the CEL issue which was resolved under warranty in my case) and beautiful of the air cooled series. It's a 4th car in the family, so gets limited use these days. Nonetheless, 15 mins in this thing, feeling every nook and cranny of the road, and feathering the throttle to keep the tail in check really, really turns a bad day around. Yes, the folks at the office know what I spend my lunch hour if I return in a better mood. Values are holidng well, and it'll remain a cult classic. I'll add a 5th car soon - a 1997 Twin Turbo and this old workhorse will become my track buddy.

Get a leak down test!
By digdoug on 07/10/06 15:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is a great sports car, but buyer BEWARE! Get a leakdown test and compression test before buying. There are tricks that can be done to these cars to make the engine appear to be in good shape when the are clearly not. These cars are know to burn oil as the engine expands and contracts, but they also are known to have issues related to inferior metals used. A top end rebuild will set you back $6,000 or more! My car is definitely burning a little oil but it runs well. The biggest problem is the car will not pass emissions because of the burning oil. Eventually I will get the top-end rebuild. Do yourself a favor and RESEARCH these cars. They are fun but can be very costly if you get a bad one.

Original and Still Happy Owner
By Gerry in So Cal on 12/21/05 15:38 PM (PST)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

My 993 is able to turn a really bad day into something fine in about 15 minutes. There are some great freeways and mountain roads nearby and I sometimes "race" motorcycles on the twisty bends (but I lose to most of them). This is the last of the air-cooled 911s and seems to be a perfect, rugged little tank of a car. It DOES require full attention when driving at higher speeds as it has few computer overrides to save one's butt--but that is OK. It is a third car and I drive it only on evenings or weekends-but once in a while I use as a daily driver when the other cars are in for repairs, and it seems fine for that kind of use. The local dealer's service techs say that this is the best model.

What a treat!
By Sarahfink on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

Last of the air cooled 911's ('95-'98). The sound and ride are "priceless" as the ad says. Looks, handling, comfort, speed - what else do you need? No cup holders... get over it!

Best of the Porsches
By ny owner on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is a fun car to drive - great pick- up at every gear. Very forgiving drive train. I prefer its styling to that of the latest models. This is my second Porsche, and I am still waiting for improvements in styling and reliability of the new models to replace this one.

a great weekend car
By docteeth on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for one year. It is an absolute blast to drive. I've found the A/C works great in the south Florida summer. Go to TireRack for tires (love the Continentals). The ultimate iteration of the original 911 concept. An instant classic, looks like it's brand new. My 2 daughters love to ride in the back seat - plenty of room.

Uber Car
By maui owner on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

After owning a 88 911 I found a 8500 car in showroom condition. The car I dreamed to own is now in my garage. Drives better than any car I have driven. Pinnacle of sports car ownership, the last of the aircooled 911's. If you ever get a chance to drive one you will see why some swear by this marque.

Instant Air-Cooled Classic
By 914und993 on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

Fantastic vehicle, although like most of these 1995-1998 911s, the factory Monroe built shock absorbers were marginal by 28,000 miles and merited replacement with Bilstein units. Beyond that, the car has required only routine maintenance and performs reliably and without complaint. These cars seem to be holding their value very, very well - better than the new water-cooled 911s.

1996 Porsche Carrera-Great Car
By romdobe on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is my fourth Porsche in fifteen years. It is the best looking and best handling of the bunch. The air conditioning is much better than Porsche ever offered in the past. This is the best of the aircooled cars.