1996 Porsche 911 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 911 model:
Awesome Car
By andyboy46 on 12/14/11 03:36 AM (PST)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa 2dr Coupe

I test drove dozens of Porsche's & read a lot about all models, from early 993's, 996's, Turbo 996's and a couple of 997's. There is nothing that compares to the style, sound, power, build quality of the amazing 993 car. It is practical and fun to drive. In my opinion the last of the air cooled Porsche was and still is the best, most stylish all round sports car on the road. Every time I get behind the wheel I am glad I bought the "old school" model, it has a style and personality that will never be manufactured again. It took me 6 months to get used to it but I just love this car.

1996 Carrera 2 Coupe
By jtrane on 08/26/11 08:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

I've had several sports cars but this one was my dream from the age of 16. No car I can afford is as fun to drive and look at as a typee 993 coupe in silver finish. Fast, great handling and pretty trouble free to operate, though there are a few issues with these cars. To my eye, the 95-98 coke bottle shaped car is better looking than anything earlier and later, and the engine is fairly bullet-proof, with correct maintenance. Buy one of these if you can!

Finest car EVER
By tuckersmith on 03/09/11 05:10 AM (PST)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S 2dr Coupe AWD

By far the very best car I've ever owned. Absolutely bullet-proof and a blast to drive.

Best 911 model hnds down
By Big Ed on 08/30/10 20:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S 2dr Coupe AWD

Buy one now before the price goes up and don't worry about the mileage if serviced properly. A lot of folks will recommend buying the "newest 911" you can afford. Don't believe it. My car has 180,000 miles and the only service has been oil changes. Keep the revs over 3,000 rpms. My local Porsche dealership manager drives one. This is last of the air-cooled 911's and this car has evolved to perfection with over 20-years of continuous engineering improvements that came from Porsche's racing engineering history. The new 911's (997 series) are made to look like these. Why? Because it is a mobile Object D'art. My car is 14yo and still folks jaws drop at the gas pump and heads turn.

cool car for us grey heads
By 2525ken on 05/12/10 19:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Convertible

I have never had a real sports car until now but drove the boxster and they was no kick at all. I said I just want a nice convertible and so I drove the masda miata and for the same money got a good used 96 911. I have never been sorry, this is fun to drive if I can stay alive long enought. It hits 105 from 4th to 5th and still has plenty to go. This is the lady of my dreams. My wife loves it to.

How to wipe that smile off?
By ben993 on 08/05/07 22:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is my 4th in the 911 range in my 12 years. By far the most reliable (save for the CEL issue which was resolved under warranty in my case) and beautiful of the air cooled series. It's a 4th car in the family, so gets limited use these days. Nonetheless, 15 mins in this thing, feeling every nook and cranny of the road, and feathering the throttle to keep the tail in check really, really turns a bad day around. Yes, the folks at the office know what I spend my lunch hour if I return in a better mood. Values are holidng well, and it'll remain a cult classic. I'll add a 5th car soon - a 1997 Twin Turbo and this old workhorse will become my track buddy.

Get a leak down test!
By digdoug on 07/10/06 15:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

This is a great sports car, but buyer BEWARE! Get a leakdown test and compression test before buying. There are tricks that can be done to these cars to make the engine appear to be in good shape when the are clearly not. These cars are know to burn oil as the engine expands and contracts, but they also are known to have issues related to inferior metals used. A top end rebuild will set you back $6,000 or more! My car is definitely burning a little oil but it runs well. The biggest problem is the car will not pass emissions because of the burning oil. Eventually I will get the top-end rebuild. Do yourself a favor and RESEARCH these cars. They are fun but can be very costly if you get a bad one.

It just doesn't get any better.
By pc on 06/07/06 12:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Turbo 2dr Coupe AWD

First, the prices listed on this site are ridiculously low...expect to pay about $65-70k for one 30-50k miles range, and premium for lower mileage. This is one of, if not the highest rated sports cars of all time...but who cares about them, if you like the look, the craftmanship, performance and drive will not disappoint. My friend with an NSX said he felt embarrassed with his Nissan next to the 911 TT. The styling is classic - why do you think Porsche ran back to it for the 997. This car is quick, fast, smooth, unbelievably stable, yet utilitarian enough to be my daily driver. What's the point of having a great car you never drive...otherwise it's just a really expensive piece of art.

Original and Still Happy Owner
By Gerry in So Cal on 12/21/05 15:38 PM (PST)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 2dr Coupe

My 993 is able to turn a really bad day into something fine in about 15 minutes. There are some great freeways and mountain roads nearby and I sometimes "race" motorcycles on the twisty bends (but I lose to most of them). This is the last of the air-cooled 911s and seems to be a perfect, rugged little tank of a car. It DOES require full attention when driving at higher speeds as it has few computer overrides to save one's butt--but that is OK. It is a third car and I drive it only on evenings or weekends-but once in a while I use as a daily driver when the other cars are in for repairs, and it seems fine for that kind of use. The local dealer's service techs say that this is the best model.

Ulitmate Beast
By Beaste Master on 10/18/05 02:09 AM (PDT)

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 2dr Coupe AWD

I've driven a lot of sports cars from every day Ford Mustangs to unique TVR's and I never quite understood the Porsche hype until I drove a 993 Carrera 4. It is awsome beyond belief, so much so that I choose my 9 year old 911 with 90,000 miles over a three year old Porsche Boxster with 25,000 miles and the only thing I believe to be a better choice would be a '96 turbo. I am going through a rough divorce, and driving my Porsche is hands down better than any therapy, an exotic mistress, or spiritual enlightment could ever be as it combines all three into one amazing experience that is available everytime I go for a drive. To think I almost wasted 30 grand on a 350Z or a new Mustang.