2009 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:
My Second Vibe
By Ron on 06/03/09 05:46 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Vibe---my first is an '03 with 103K miles which my teenage son will inherit. The '03 has been flawlessly reliable! I purchased the '09 last week at an incredible deal--$4300 off in GM/Driver's Edge card rebates, $3000 in additional rebates for paying cash, and at a price that was well below invoice!! I was a little concerned that Pontiac parts might not be available in the long haul but GM insures me that Vibe owners will be supported for years to come. Since the power train is Toyota I am not concerned. If you are shopping for a reliable vehicle that gets great mpg--Vibe is the way to go.

Less Than Happy
By LESS THAN HAPPY on 05/29/09 07:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I find it difficult to give this car much of a rating. I take my dog with me most everywhere I go, so I decided on the Vibe based on its size and practicality. I am very disappointed. This is by far the noisiest vehicle I have every owned! I find myself checking the windows to see if I left one of them open. There seems to be no sound deadening insulation in this vehicle at all. This makes long trips very tedious - and also makes listening to music impossible. Also, the AWD model should be available with a manual transmission - the automatic doesn't allow you to coast freely - it's always holding you back causing you to play with the accelerator to hold a constant speed.

Always loved this car!
By Cgts on 05/11/09 23:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

All I can say is that anything would have suited me fine after having driven a Daewoo Lanos! But, I always admired the Pontiac Vibe for its adorable design since the first time I ever saw it. These new defined designs of the car is just stunning! I've got the GT, and I love how this car looks! As an art major, it has been just spectacular having so much cargo space to haul my sculptures and oversized paintings. Very reliable car, not to mention it is crazy fun to drive. One thing I thought was great about the car was the magnificent interior design, but this is coming from someone who used to have cup holders directly under the radio, so I guess there's room for improvement on that note.

High utility / low gas. Good looking.
By arge on 05/06/09 12:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

MPG 30.5 mixed. Comfortable, spacious, nice “tall” driving stance, solid feeling, good 4 wheels disk brakes, fun-easy to drive. Electric steering wheel is somewhat different but ideal for every day operation. All of the important features (especially safety) are there. Well thought out interior (including 120V outlet) and exterior (plastic molding are in the right places and may better resist winter salt). The engine is not too responsive when driven softly but wakes up when RPM >2000. BTW this Toyota engine is used by the Lotus Exige sport car. A fifth gear would be nice on the highway. My wife loves it. I take very opportunity to drive it.

Still Thining!
By Klawdad on 05/05/09 17:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in a Toyota truck just because of payments, but I love Toyota. When I read that the Vibe was essentially a Toyota, I went to the dealer because everything I read was good. I have never had a small car, so I was hesitant, but this car is actually fun to drive and the MPG is awesome--right now I'm getting 28-30 in combo driving. Yes the wheel caps fall off and yes the ride is bumpy, but I am not sorry I traded--except when I needed a half ton of mulch last week.

Review by RMH
By RHenningsen on 04/28/09 19:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This the third Vibe we've owned and each one has had exceptional gas mileage. The last Vibe got 30.1 miles per gallon for 29000 miles. This 2009 is averaging over 30 miles per gallon too. Repairs have only required service oil,filter,tire rotation and alignment on the 2006 model. The 2009 has only 3000 miles and has had no repairs as of yet. On the 2009 model I miss the carpeting on the deck in back the shade covering that area along with the intermittent window washer. Other wise the 33.2 miles per gallon on a recent trip is great. I hate to see the Pontiac line disappear. Maybe they will give the vehicle to Chevrolet for a boost in their division car mileage requirements.

Happy
By 26.2 on 04/26/09 16:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My 1st American-made car purchase in 30 years. That, plus GM's pending doom made me hesitant about purchasing an '09 Vibe but glad we did. Traded the AWD of a Forester for the mpg of a Vibe. Very happy after the first month. The 1.8l with std transmission is a little slow off the line but has plenty of windup once you pass 3000 rpm. Nice quite ride. 35+ mpg highway. 28 mpg in town. Yakima canoe rack fits the roof fine.

Great Car but has a few flaws
By andunn on 04/20/09 15:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Pros: Toyota Engine -Great gas mileage -Sporty look Cons: Noise every time you go from park to drive and start to move. It is the anti-lock breaks kicking in. Drove three others. Same thing. Dealer said it was not designed very well because you could hear it kicking in. - XM radio cuts song title information off. I had XM 5 years ago and my radio could display the entire song. Cuts it off even if you switch to non-flashing mode and have to push info button. Bad design! - Doors make a slight vibrating noise when closing them. Again tried 3 others and same thing. Body design flaw - Little noises coming from the dash area even when driving on a smooth highway or road

one year 30,000 miles
By Scott on 04/17/09 05:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this little gem for a year and have just turned 30,000 miles on it yesterday. This car is very fun to drive and is dependable. The only trouble I have had is that the center caps on rims came off. GM will only pay for them once, then you are on your own. (16.50 a piece) Also some sensor that controls the electronics went out. That means that I did not have any ABS, Traction Control, stabili-Trac. Covered under warranty. All in all this car has been great. I consistently get 30 MPG.

Outstanding Value, a Few Minor Issues
By bill on 04/16/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my very fun-to-drive Vibe GT for ~2 weeks and so far I love it, although I agree with others that there are a few things that it could use improvements which keep it from being a 10. I love the styling compared to its competitors (much cooler looks compared to Versa, Matrix, Fit, '10 Mazda3[what did they do to this car's front end?]). I love the value; it has everything you need a few great extras, and you can get a loaded GT for ~$19K if you shop around (again better than the competition). Nice standard extras are Monsoon w/ XM radio, OnStar, steering wheel controls, leather accents, ABS, traction, 18" alloys. Also love the cargo versatility of the hatchback.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Pontiac Vibe in VA is:

$108 per month*