Used 2009 Pontiac Vibe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

2009 Pontiac Vibe

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

safe reliable commuter car
By papi

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Son drives to school 25 miles. Mileage is great on highway. Not a lot of bells and whistles but is a safe and reliable car. XM is nice, and on star is great for college kids and parents peace of mind. Car can store a lot. I wish that they did not get rid of the separate opening glass on the rear door this year, but all in all it is a great first car, well above the typical entry level vehicle.

Favorite Features

full surround air bags, traction control VSC ABS and onstar.

Suggested Improvements

separate opening rear glass, and get rid of blind spot in rear

scared in snow!
By scared in snow

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2009 awd vibe for my wife. We live in Denver and had a good size snow. She called from work her 1st day driving this vehicle. It slid all over the place!! could hardly stop at stop signs & would just slid when turning! So i drove it when i got home, she was right! I do realize it is light but even with the "snow feature" awd kicked in, it was scary. The tires are very good--low profile, perhaps if we changed to regular tires? any Thoughts?? Very disappointed in Denver.

an offer I couldn't refuse
By massbio

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have an automatic 1.8L. Good basic transportation and safety features. An upgrade to ABS and traction control for us. Engine is peppy. Lots of things could be better: paint chips easily. Spoiler chips paint on hatch (check out those you see in parking lots). Big blind spot! Wind noise from somewhere. Tire pressure warning is incorrect. Interior could be roomier without making the car bigger. Design was superior in 2008. Still, we expect it will last a long time for us.

Favorite Features

Handling, ride, hatchback. XM was nice when I didn't have to pay for it. Good safety package for the price.

Suggested Improvements

It's only a matter of time before I back into something (someone) with this blindspot.

Can't believe I drive this over my 911
By Eric

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a second car after buying a 2006 Porsche 911S. GM was giving these Vibes away and all I needed was a basic car with decent space, room for 5, and AWD for trips to Lake Tahoe in the winter. Since I bought the Vibe, I've put 3800 miles on it, and only 500 on my Porsche. I love this Vibe. It doesn't handle particularly well, it isn't that fast, it doesn't have any luxuries, and it isn't beautiful. But, I find myself drawn to its fun, comfortable, and easy to drive nature. My friends and family make fun of me for showing up in my Vibe while my Porsche sits in the garage, but I can't help from loving this stupid Vibe.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. XM radio. Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

A 5 speed automatic would help the mediocre gas mileage on the AWD version. But then I compare it to my old Outback, my S4, and the SUVs I was considering and it doesn't feel so bad. Heated seats Rear speakers were too boomy so I faded the audio forward to fix it. Better rear quarter visibility

Good Vibes
By Ang

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Was skeptical at first as it looked really small from the outside. My husband said "get in and try it out". Once seated in drivers seat, I was hooked. There is a lot of room in this car. I was impressed. The car has a lot of zippiness and it fun to drive. Purchasing gas is also sweet. I can go 7 days on a tank of gas (back and forth to work (60 miles a day) and tooling around town). Very impressed with that aspect. Stereo has nice sound. I like the storage system in the back of the car for shopping. Backseat is roomy for a 6' person to sit comfortably. All in all I'm very happy we purchased this vehicle when we did.

Favorite Features

Storage area in back Stability control feature Anti Theft feature Gear shift area Drink holder expansion Air bag system (like knowing that curtains will drop and surround my family)