2009 Pontiac Vibe Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

2009 Vibe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Sort Reviews by

Best yet
By Emil

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We drove mini-vans for years& didn't need 3rd.seat anymore.We looked at many small wagons & found the vibe superior for room for the price.Have averaged 33.4 MPG for 4200 miles- city&highway.Very quiet-no wind or road noise.Shifts smooth with plenty pep-cruises at 70 MPH with ease.Have not been back to dealer for any problems.Too bad GM is quitting one of the best cars they have had.

Favorite Features

Mileage,quick steering,design,quietness,quality

Suggested Improvements

would like to see more lumbar support

surprising!
By soccermom09

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 months ago to replace an SUV so was not sure about sitting lower to the road. I was pleasantly surprised by this Vibe. The drivers seat raises, giving me some of the height I used to enjoy. This car is just fun to drive! Pick up is great, handles well. My 17 year old loves to drive it too. I have not had a chance to try out the AWD yet, but if my current satisfaction is any measure I know I will not be slowed by any snow!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, gear shifter on console

Suggested Improvements

A bit of a blind spot that you need to be careful of. Also the back interior is not carpeted. It's easy to clean if you haul something that leaks but if you haul something like a bike or chair it is easily scratched.

09 Go
By Al

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over a year now and have enjoy great performance at 25 MPG. Looks small but is large inside. love the self shift feature and the Monsson sound system is great. Stock tires are great in snow and rain. I have had no problems thus far- this car is basically a Toyota Matrix as it is built in same assembly plant.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a power seat.

Great buy right now
By Q

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased the 2.4 2009 vibe with manual trans. I offered $200 less than the TMV and they accepted my first offer to my surprise. Great car and if you want to buy one, offer a ridiculously low amount to start with. They are practically giving these away with all the incentives. I wanted the 1.8L, but couldn't find one. The 2.4 is more than enough power, but I still get over 30 MPG with 50/50 driving, so I'm very happy. Manual is fun to drive and very comfortable. Cargo space is great, as I can fit my bike in the back without taking any wheels off. Sound system is great. I switched from a huge suburban to this and I don't regret it. Cash for clunkers program is a great deal.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage even with 2.4L engine with manual. Comfy seats, tons of cargo room, and very fun to drive. Can't beat the price right now. With CARS program, I walked out with a fully loaded Vibe (minus automatic and sunroof) for under 12k includings taxes with cash for clunkers trade-in.

Suggested Improvements

Wish you could turn off the lights at night manually (no option to do so). Readouts should be red/amber color at night, not white as they are sometimes too bright for me. Highway road noise is a little more than I expected, but not too bad. Different interior colors.

2009 Pontiac Vibe
By jmklein

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have just purchased a new 2009 Vibe with optional auto/manual shift package, 17 chrome rims/rear spoiler, and other little misc. options as well. The car is definitely worth its weight in gold, I traded in my 2003 Grand Am, and am very impressed that Pontiac has stuck with the great responsive, sport like steering. The car overall has great body lines, interior is comfortable, and the fold down rear seats including the passenger are a great feature. The overall pick-up response of the car is very impressive, especially in manual mode where you can get the few extra RPM's when wanting to get that "race feel." Overall, you can feel the great quality everytime you get behind the wheel.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the responsive Pontiac steering, great sleek styling, and the very throaty little 2.4 4 cyl. with the optional auto/manual shift transmission. Overall, a fantastic, quality piece of machinery, that is felt everytime you turn the key.

Suggested Improvements

The best improvement I could give even though this great car is being phased out is to pull the center of the dash more around the driver, the radio controls are slightly hard to reach, when sitting comfortably, and can be quite a reach for the averaged height person.

A Versatile Fun Car
By Brian G.

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this car for 2 weeks. It's so much fun to drive, and handles like a much more expensive vehicle. The ride is quiet and smooth, and the 2.4 engine provides more than enough power. The interior seems spacious and all the controls are in easy access. The interior uses alot of plastic, however it does not look or appear cheap. The seats are very comfortable in the front and rear, and the cargo space is incredible when the rear seats are folded down. The A/C blows nice and cold which is a plus, since I live in Florida. I wanted the upgraded radio, but mine has the base radio, however it sounds great. I've driven in some very heavy rain, and this car was terrific! GREAT CAR!!!

Favorite Features

I like the rear cargo space and the comfortable seats. The steering is very responsive. This vehicle did well in the crash tests and has alot of safety features that are standard. Stability control, 4 wheel anti-lock disc brakes,5 speed auto trans. with tap shifting, side airbags.

Suggested Improvements

This car is perfect just the way it is! While On*Star and XM radio is nice, I have no need for them.

Best Bang for Your Bucks
By mjb56

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 2nd Vibe, the first being an 05, which was a great vehicle. This one easily surpasses that. Very smooth and quiet, by comparison with good power. Fuel mileage has been outstanding. With the rebates and credit card points available it was a deal we couldn't pass up, even though we weren't in the market for a new car. However, my wife has already informed me that she will be getting a speeding ticket as this Vibe is much quicker and smoother than her old one. We're extremely pleased, again. Can't believe GM won't be offering this vehicle any more. Major mistake! Please reconsider, GM.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, handling, addition of more bottle holders, smoother steering.

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable lumbar support for driver seat.

My Second Vibe/part two
By Ron

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I must admit that I too was driving my Vibe for the first week in third gear not realizing that 3rd gear is left and 4th(overdrive) is right at the same position on the automatic shifter. That erases my earlier comment on the need for a "4(forward)speed transmission" as the 1.8L Vibe has one. ...not sure I understand the comment about the noisy ride as mine drives quietly---certainly less noise than in the '03 version. Looking forward to 200K miles in this vehicle!

Favorite Features

Reliability, price, mpg.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Love to drive this car
By jjividen

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is our second Vibe, an '04 and an "08 but this one has the big engine and flies. It handles like a sports car, beats college students from light to light, has a great sounding stereo (love the XM stations), is so roomy I can load my entire art display in it and just bungee the hatch door down to travel, is comfortable on long drives (which I love now that this car in under me), it looks beautiful with the black pearl paint, sunroof and spoiler and the wheels get admiring looks now that I took out the center plastic hubs for a sportier look.

Favorite Features

XM radio, sport tires and wheels, ease of putting down back seats for extra space, handling.

Suggested Improvements

There is a lag in the acceleration that is a nuisance for me.

1 yr, 26000 miles - Nice Car
By Nancy

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I waited for the AWD to return in 2009, and am happy I did. Nice, tight steering, it has more pickup than my 6 cyl Stratus, & the AWD plows through snow like a champ. Lots of cargo space and super-versatile layout. I can fit almost anything that would have fit in my Blazer. CONS: I wish the Vibe offered more options. In this day and age, itís crazy that you canít get power seats even if you want them! Like others, I noticed the chippy paint, but thought it was due to living on a rocky dirt road. Also, everyone is raving about the milage- itís ok, but I think a car of this size could do better. Overall, I LOVE it! This is a great car for the money and I would happily buy another.

Favorite Features

Cargo Space, versatility, small size, and AWD

Suggested Improvements

Better highway milage, more available options, better scratch resistance on the paint. I'm very disappointed that this, along with the whole Pontiac line, is being eliminated :(