2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:
scared in snow!
By scared in snow on 01/12/10 14:20 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought a 2009 awd vibe for my wife. We live in Denver and had a good size snow. She called from work her 1st day driving this vehicle. It slid all over the place!! could hardly stop at stop signs & would just slid when turning! So i drove it when i got home, she was right! I do realize it is light but even with the "snow feature" awd kicked in, it was scary. The tires are very good--low profile, perhaps if we changed to regular tires? any Thoughts?? Very disappointed in Denver.

an offer I couldn't refuse
By massbio on 12/21/09 12:09 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have an automatic 1.8L. Good basic transportation and safety features. An upgrade to ABS and traction control for us. Engine is peppy. Lots of things could be better: paint chips easily. Spoiler chips paint on hatch (check out those you see in parking lots). Big blind spot! Wind noise from somewhere. Tire pressure warning is incorrect. Interior could be roomier without making the car bigger. Design was superior in 2008. Still, we expect it will last a long time for us.

Can't believe I drive this over my 911
By Eric on 11/07/09 09:45 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a second car after buying a 2006 Porsche 911S. GM was giving these Vibes away and all I needed was a basic car with decent space, room for 5, and AWD for trips to Lake Tahoe in the winter. Since I bought the Vibe, I've put 3800 miles on it, and only 500 on my Porsche. I love this Vibe. It doesn't handle particularly well, it isn't that fast, it doesn't have any luxuries, and it isn't beautiful. But, I find myself drawn to its fun, comfortable, and easy to drive nature. My friends and family make fun of me for showing up in my Vibe while my Porsche sits in the garage, but I can't help from loving this stupid Vibe.

Good Vibes
By Ang on 10/17/09 07:04 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Was skeptical at first as it looked really small from the outside. My husband said "get in and try it out". Once seated in drivers seat, I was hooked. There is a lot of room in this car. I was impressed. The car has a lot of zippiness and it fun to drive. Purchasing gas is also sweet. I can go 7 days on a tank of gas (back and forth to work (60 miles a day) and tooling around town). Very impressed with that aspect. Stereo has nice sound. I like the storage system in the back of the car for shopping. Backseat is roomy for a 6' person to sit comfortably. All in all I'm very happy we purchased this vehicle when we did.

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - great!
By LJ - california on 10/13/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased used with only 12k miles. 2.4L (toyota camry) engine and 5 speed auto/manual a great combination. This is not offered on the Toyota Matrix. GT model rims/tires are nice, but noisy on rough roads and you feel the bumps. Versatility and appearance are better than average. Handling is excellent because of full independent suspension, wide/low profile tires and sport tuned suspension. I did my research and compared to Matrix, Versa, Mazda-3 and Fit - Vibe GT model won out for best combination fuel economy, performance and SUV type features in a compact hatchback. GM warranty a plus (100K powertrain). Mileage should be around 30+ on highway.

Practicle
By Sam H on 10/10/09 15:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car does a little bit of every thing. I can haul a trailer, put the seats down, seat 4 adults 6 ft or taller and get good mileage. This car does it all. Pluses include room, ceiling height, get up and go, mileage and style. The biggest negative is road noise, just turn up the XM radio. 17,000 miles after a year and 2 months of ownership, just change the oil and rotate tires. MPG is 28-30 with mixed driving with quiet engine. The seats are comfortable and fit taller people well I'am 6.1 and can wear a hat.

1.8L Auto (STYLE CHOICE NOT AVAIL ABOVE)
By Bob S. on 09/30/09 11:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Drives much better than the Cobalt I traded in for it. Some have mentioned blind spot but I think it's much easier to see out of than the Cobalt.

1 month - 7500 miles later
By Nat on 09/16/09 11:03 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Took my Vibe (a rebadged Toyota Matrix) in its first month of ownership on a road trip across the country after taking advantage of the Clunkers program. No major issues or squeaks and rattles have arisen yet. Have only changed the oil/filter and added fuel injector cleaner so far. Was getting a fairly consistent 30 mpg of mostly highway driving with a fully loaded car, bike hitch rack, and a codriver who doesn't know how to smoothly modulate a gas pedal. Vibe has decent midrange punch with the 2.4 to pass and get up the hills. Glad I opted for the bigger engine Overall pretty happy with my purchase as the car has been both reliable and practical. For the money this car is hard to beat

Great car with 1.8L Auto
By toomuchcar on 09/05/09 06:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my Daughter's first car. Looked at all the competitors, and this 1.8L auto is a great balance of utility, safety, fuel efficiency and handling for the money ($1500 rebate at the time). This toyota based car has reliability and same solid drive train I enjoyed with the Toyota Corolla that traded in.

Best yet
By Emil on 08/28/09 07:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We drove mini-vans for years& didn't need 3rd.seat anymore.We looked at many small wagons & found the vibe superior for room for the price.Have averaged 33.4 MPG for 4200 miles- city&highway.Very quiet-no wind or road noise.Shifts smooth with plenty pep-cruises at 70 MPH with ease.Have not been back to dealer for any problems.Too bad GM is quitting one of the best cars they have had.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback in NJ is:

$184 per month*