Used 2009 Pontiac Vibe Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

2009 Pontiac Vibe

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Can't believe I drive this over my 911
By Eric

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a second car after buying a 2006 Porsche 911S. GM was giving these Vibes away and all I needed was a basic car with decent space, room for 5, and AWD for trips to Lake Tahoe in the winter. Since I bought the Vibe, I've put 3800 miles on it, and only 500 on my Porsche. I love this Vibe. It doesn't handle particularly well, it isn't that fast, it doesn't have any luxuries, and it isn't beautiful. But, I find myself drawn to its fun, comfortable, and easy to drive nature. My friends and family make fun of me for showing up in my Vibe while my Porsche sits in the garage, but I can't help from loving this stupid Vibe.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. XM radio. Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

A 5 speed automatic would help the mediocre gas mileage on the AWD version. But then I compare it to my old Outback, my S4, and the SUVs I was considering and it doesn't feel so bad. Heated seats Rear speakers were too boomy so I faded the audio forward to fix it. Better rear quarter visibility

surprising!
By soccermom09

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 months ago to replace an SUV so was not sure about sitting lower to the road. I was pleasantly surprised by this Vibe. The drivers seat raises, giving me some of the height I used to enjoy. This car is just fun to drive! Pick up is great, handles well. My 17 year old loves to drive it too. I have not had a chance to try out the AWD yet, but if my current satisfaction is any measure I know I will not be slowed by any snow!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, gear shifter on console

Suggested Improvements

A bit of a blind spot that you need to be careful of. Also the back interior is not carpeted. It's easy to clean if you haul something that leaks but if you haul something like a bike or chair it is easily scratched.

1 yr, 26000 miles - Nice Car
By Nancy

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I waited for the AWD to return in 2009, and am happy I did. Nice, tight steering, it has more pickup than my 6 cyl Stratus, & the AWD plows through snow like a champ. Lots of cargo space and super-versatile layout. I can fit almost anything that would have fit in my Blazer. CONS: I wish the Vibe offered more options. In this day and age, itís crazy that you canít get power seats even if you want them! Like others, I noticed the chippy paint, but thought it was due to living on a rocky dirt road. Also, everyone is raving about the milage- itís ok, but I think a car of this size could do better. Overall, I LOVE it! This is a great car for the money and I would happily buy another.

Favorite Features

Cargo Space, versatility, small size, and AWD

Suggested Improvements

Better highway milage, more available options, better scratch resistance on the paint. I'm very disappointed that this, along with the whole Pontiac line, is being eliminated :(

Less Than Happy
By LESS THAN HAPPY

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I find it difficult to give this car much of a rating. I take my dog with me most everywhere I go, so I decided on the Vibe based on its size and practicality. I am very disappointed. This is by far the noisiest vehicle I have every owned! I find myself checking the windows to see if I left one of them open. There seems to be no sound deadening insulation in this vehicle at all. This makes long trips very tedious - and also makes listening to music impossible. Also, the AWD model should be available with a manual transmission - the automatic doesn't allow you to coast freely - it's always holding you back causing you to play with the accelerator to hold a constant speed.

Great Car but has a few flaws
By andunn

2009 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Pros: Toyota Engine -Great gas mileage -Sporty look Cons: Noise every time you go from park to drive and start to move. It is the anti-lock breaks kicking in. Drove three others. Same thing. Dealer said it was not designed very well because you could hear it kicking in. - XM radio cuts song title information off. I had XM 5 years ago and my radio could display the entire song. Cuts it off even if you switch to non-flashing mode and have to push info button. Bad design! - Doors make a slight vibrating noise when closing them. Again tried 3 others and same thing. Body design flaw - Little noises coming from the dash area even when driving on a smooth highway or road

Suggested Improvements

New XM Radio or give it a software update Better quality build in the dash area Fix the vibrating noise in the doors when closing And fix the anti-lock break noise when it engages.