2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:
2009 Base 2.4 w/5sp auto, 80K Miles so far
By abramsgunner on 10/09/13 13:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in July of '09. Base model with 2.4L/5sp-auto, PS,PL,cruise, keyless. Now pushing 80K miles with few issues. On my second set of tires and brakes. My steering column rattles (very common), cold starts sometime produce a timing cam rattle (common) and the paint chips and scratches easily (common). Fully loaded with family of 4 + gear on trip to Tenn. got me just shy of 32mpg. Even with my heavy foot, I still avg. 28mpg in daily mixed driving. Great fun to drive. Does everything I need. Was cheap to buy and maintain. Sharp little car. I have truly enjoyed it. I just added a K&N CAI and she sounds great, any mpg increase will be a bonus.

Great Versatile Car!
By blazer7t8 on 07/18/13 17:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 09 Vibe AWD when it was a year old and had 11K miles. It has 90K, now. My wife drives it most of the time and she liked the size and control layout. The interior is nice and the seats are comfortable. We often take this car on a 4 hour road trip to visit family and my back does not hurt. We average 28 mpg. Have gotten as high as 32. It swallows up cargo. Have hauled tall filing cabinets, 8Kw generators, lumber, etc. With the higher ground clearance and AWD it gets around great in Ohio winter snow. It could use more sound insulation. You hear a lot of road noise. New tires at 58K helped but still noisy. No major repairs, only normal maintenance items. Overall, great car!

At least I can still find a Matrix
By mecjac on 10/19/12 18:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Almost at 100k miles and I have only had to replace the breaks and the oil filter housing (cheap part). I love my Vibe, bought it with 50k on it and have put 50k on it in the last 2 years. Its comfortable enough for the average commuter and very reliable. Great for hauling stuff around, and although no sports car its fun to drive. Good fuel economy, easily get 31-32 mpg. Only a few gripes, rear visibility is so-so, paint chips/scratches easy, speakers could be better.

After 2 years and 40K, no regrets!
By snowdog_ix on 09/02/11 17:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new from a dealer a couple of years ago. I am 6'4", and I loved the headroom/interior space in this vehicle. I am a single father and was looking for value, reliability and gas efficiency. After a couple of tanks of gas driving in the city, I realized I was getting 7L/100km. Awesome! I am over 40K now and have only had it into the shop for 2 recalls. It has never let me down. It is not super powerfull on the highway. (slow going up a hill with the kids in the back) But I will trade that for the gas mileage I get any day. On-star in-car phone was interesting for the first year, but I let it expire because I didn't want to pay the fees.

Good Vibes!
By goodvibes on 04/05/11 07:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was looking for a luxurious sporty car, and test drove the Vibe on a whim because it caught my eye. I fell in love with this car and could not be more happy with my purchase. The Vibe is well built for a car of it's class. I feel confidant that I will be driving my Vibe for many years. Mine had 36k on it when I bought her. I was able to buy a GMAC warranty for a whopping $1100. due to the low miles. I have my oil changes done at the dealership due to the type of oil the Vibe requires. I have my dogs kennel tethered to the child seat restraint hooks in the back seat.

Great car for great price!
By blargal on 02/24/11 08:02 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was on the search for a car for two weeks and almost bought a Mazda3 so glad I didn't! This little car is very well made and i've always loved pontiacs as my first car was one and never had an issue with it till it got in an accident. I thought i couldn't afford this car when I first test drove it but I got it right in my price range per month had great credit and apr and I knocked them down to 13grand :) basicly for the price you just can't beat the deal on a reliable car like this. Oh I chose the GT model cause thats what I have...but its an auto but has the option to switch to manual sooo 5 speed manual? only option they had lol.

Fantastic Little Hatchback
By LostPsyche on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had this car a month and I love this thing. It is really fun to drive and seems to be really solid on the road even in the turns. It is no Mazda 3 but for me it is sporty enough with a lot of practical applications. I really wish GM had not killed this car off, they could have re-badged it to a Chevy or Buick nameplate which is a shame that they just let it drop instead. The cruise control takes a bit to get used to. The Engine is nice too, a little torquey on take offs but it is a solid engine and great for quick merges.

Pretty good for the money
By chlywily on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car has been very reliable, but has an intermittent knocking when started sometimes. Can be hot or cold and the dealer has no clue.

The Mighty Vibe
By CouldaHadaV8 on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! We've had it for about 2 1/2 years and it's running strong, even being driven by a teenager. We are pleased with the mileage, styling, comfort and power of this car.

A Great Little Car that GM Killed
By Michigan Man on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A great vehicle that unfortunately fell due to the fate of GM. Purchased 2 years ago and no issues at all - always follow the scheduled maintenance and visit a GM dealer. I would purchase a Vibe as my next vehicle if it still existed.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback in VA is:

$108 per month*