Used 2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

2009 Vibe 1.8 automatic
By brisan

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 8000 miles on it and put on an additional 60,000 miles before it was totalled out in a crash with a 4 wheel drive pickup truck. We were driving almost 50 mph when the truck turned into us from the turn lane. We hit drivers side bumpers and came to an instant stop. My wife and I were banged up and bruised but able to walk away. We found out it had 4 and 5 stars in crash tests. We loved this car and got between 32 and 36 mpg depending on driving habits and time of the year. We never had a single problem with it and are now in the process of finding another one to purchase.

Favorite Features

Gas milage and great headlight visibilty at night.

2009 Base 2.4 w/5sp auto, 80K Miles so far
By abramsgunner

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in July of '09. Base model with 2.4L/5sp-auto, PS,PL,cruise, keyless. Now pushing 80K miles with few issues. On my second set of tires and brakes. My steering column rattles (very common), cold starts sometime produce a timing cam rattle (common) and the paint chips and scratches easily (common). Fully loaded with family of 4 + gear on trip to Tenn. got me just shy of 32mpg. Even with my heavy foot, I still avg. 28mpg in daily mixed driving. Great fun to drive. Does everything I need. Was cheap to buy and maintain. Sharp little car. I have truly enjoyed it. I just added a K&N CAI and she sounds great, any mpg increase will be a bonus.

Favorite Features

2.4L, seats are plenty Comfortable, Style in general.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint. Upholstery stains too easily.

Great Versatile Car!
By blazer7t8

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our 09 Vibe AWD when it was a year old and had 11K miles. It has 90K, now. My wife drives it most of the time and she liked the size and control layout. The interior is nice and the seats are comfortable. We often take this car on a 4 hour road trip to visit family and my back does not hurt. We average 28 mpg. Have gotten as high as 32. It swallows up cargo. Have hauled tall filing cabinets, 8Kw generators, lumber, etc. With the higher ground clearance and AWD it gets around great in Ohio winter snow. It could use more sound insulation. You hear a lot of road noise. New tires at 58K helped but still noisy. No major repairs, only normal maintenance items. Overall, great car!

Favorite Features

AWD, Sunroof, Monsoon / Kicker Stereo, Easy folding seats for cargo hauling, Low maintenance cost. We drive about 24K miles per year with only normal wear and tear items.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound insulation. Wish they till made these. I don't like the look of the Matrix.

At least I can still find a Matrix
By mecjac

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Almost at 100k miles and I have only had to replace the breaks and the oil filter housing (cheap part). I love my Vibe, bought it with 50k on it and have put 50k on it in the last 2 years. Its comfortable enough for the average commuter and very reliable. Great for hauling stuff around, and although no sports car its fun to drive. Good fuel economy, easily get 31-32 mpg. Only a few gripes, rear visibility is so-so, paint chips/scratches easy, speakers could be better.

Favorite Features

Almost everything.

Suggested Improvements

Back up cam? Better speakers and thicker/stronger paint.

After 2 years and 40K, no regrets!
By snowdog_ix

2009 Pontiac Vibe Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new from a dealer a couple of years ago. I am 6'4", and I loved the headroom/interior space in this vehicle. I am a single father and was looking for value, reliability and gas efficiency. After a couple of tanks of gas driving in the city, I realized I was getting 7L/100km. Awesome! I am over 40K now and have only had it into the shop for 2 recalls. It has never let me down. It is not super powerfull on the highway. (slow going up a hill with the kids in the back) But I will trade that for the gas mileage I get any day. On-star in-car phone was interesting for the first year, but I let it expire because I didn't want to pay the fees.

Favorite Features

Interior space/headroom. Well laid out interior. Gas efficiency. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a more durable paint job. There is no corrosion yet but the paint is very prone to scratching.