Vibe 2006 5 speed manual - 286 000 km
By vibe_06_5speed on
2006 Pontiac Vibe 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car when it had 170 000 km on it, since then (over 2 years ago) I've put on many miles on it (now have 286 000 km). I am very satisfied with the car. I have not put ANY repairs since I've had it other then repainting the top (little bit of rust started). I consistently get between 40 - 44 MPG (Canadian) doing mostly highway (that is about 33 - 36 US MPG). I drive conservative though, I keep it around 100 km/h on highway. I like the exterior of the vibe better then the matrix. The car has good cargo space and when you flip down the seats you get ridiculous amount of room back there, you don't know what your missing until you've had it trust me! Highly recommend!
Favorite Features
- The 5 speed manual gets good MPG - VERY reliable - Low cost of ownership - You will pay cheaper for a used vibe vs matrix and its the same car! - its higher from the ground then a corolla or civic, better clearance to avoid bumps or ice bricks or whatever - Seats comfortable, sits higher then a civic or corolla - LOTS of room inside, trunk space enormous!
Suggested Improvements
The roof rack is a bad design, it looks better the way they put it but not very practical. The rails should be further at the front. When I put my bike rack I have to put it the other way around otherwise the back of the rack goes too far and when you open the trunk it hits the rack. If the rails were sitting closer to the front we wouldn't have that problem. Same problem when you put a cargo box that is made a little long, the trunk when open can't open all the way up because it hits against the box.
By vibe_06_5speed
on 03/15/14 10:41 AM (PDT)

March 2014 and I still have my vibe with over 350 000 KMs on it. Since last review I have not had to do any repairs other then regular maintenance (oil change and tires). I did a brake job (just cleaning the rotors) a few months ago but I haven't even had to replace rotors or brake pads yet since I've owned the car. Winter I now get around 29-34 MPG (500 KM on one tank) and last summer I was getting 37-40 MPG. So I seem to have lost about 4 MPG in both winter and summer for some reason. Anyway other then that I'm still happy with my vibe, its been very reliable and continues to be. Oh the KM counter stopped working at 299 999 km and this seems to be a common problem, I haven't bothered to get that fixed. One other little problem I guess is that in very cold days I have a hard time unlocking my doors and trunk as the keylocks get frozen.. We now have a family of 4 and sometimes I wish I had something just a little bigger such as Mazda 5 but with the high mileage I do I'm not really interested in paying more gas and I haven't been able to find another car like this one that offers both good MPG and reliability other then maybe a Prius V 2012 but I'm not willing to pay that much for a car right now.