Used 2004 Pontiac Vibe Wagon Consumer Reviews - 352 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Pontiac Vibe Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Pontiac Vibe Wagon

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Great Toyota made GM car.
By orywigington@gmail.com

2004 Pontiac Vibe Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have had our vibe since it had about 60,000 miles. She is at 273,000 and we haven't had the first issue other than it uses a little oil. Which is to be expected out of a high mileage car. If you see one of these for cheap with low miles snatch it up! Outstanding commuter car.

Vanessa, my vivacious Vibe
By Kile

2004 Pontiac Vibe Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 5 years now. Bought it used with 40,000 miles on it, and it now as 204,000 and still drives like it always has! I used it to commute to and from college (approx. 1-1.5hr highway) for 2 years, took it from PA to FL once, and PA to NC probably 30 times. I'm a big traveler, and this car is great in all situations. First let me start by saying the AWD is unbeatable. I've driven trucks and SUV's that handle worse in the snow than this little beast. I used to live up in a mountainous area, where we always got at least 6 more inches of snow than the surrounding areas, and it does just fine going up and down steep hills in the snow, and yes, even ice. I am an avid snowboarder, so not only does it have ample room in the back with the wagon-like set up and the seats folding down for all of me and my friends' gear, but any time a snowstorm is coming in we PREFER to take my vehicle out just because its capability and reliability in a snowstorm situation. I've driven this on Interstate 80 through a PA snowstorm up in the Poconos with 10inches of snow (at least) on the highway and never had any trouble or loss of traction (keep in mind, some good all-season tires are worth their weight in $ too!). As far as non-inclement weather trips go, I average about 33mpg on highway trips, with a record of 39mpg over 500miles. Not bad for this car! City is like they rate it for, right around 26-28mpg. On our trip to Florida for spring break one year, my friends and I used the handy little 115v two-prong outlet in the front to run an Xbox to keep us busy and entertained on our trip down! It has neat little features like that. I have also moved a series of 5 times, and filled that car up to the brim. The seats fold down in the back (and the passenger), and they actually fold FLAT, and have a hard back so it's almost like having a mini truck. This has been useful soooooo many times, and the interior holds up to this abuse. Nothing is damaged save for a few minor scratches on "the bed liner", and the seats are suuupper comfy even for a guy like me (im 6'2"). Being a childish college student, I have not always driven this car easy as well. One of my favorite things to do with it back in the day would be reverse donuts in a wet or snow-filled empty parking lot (not recommended). That kind of beating would wear on most cars, but I've never had any issues with the transmission or engine or anything for that matter. That being said, I love this car, and I have always been very meticulous with the maintenance. The manual recommends an oil change every 4-6,000 miles. I change it every 3. I rotate the tires and check the fluid levels. They say with Toyotas, as long as you keep up with the maintenance, the car will last you forever. I can attest to this! (being that it is the sister car of the toyota matrix). The toyota transmission has handled hill after hill and beating after beating with no trouble. Still shifts like the day I got it. smooooottthhh. I wish I owned the GT so I had a little more acceleration, but it still does great in high traffic, high speed, merging situations. My only complaint, and I have seen this in a toyota matrix, is the gear lights next to the shifter had gone out and that some idiot biker ran into my passenger door and left a little dent. If you're looking into this car and want something reliable, useful, and long-lasting, look no further. Do yourself a favor and pick one up for super cheap.

It's too bad they don't make them anymore
By Pete

2004 Pontiac Vibe Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Currently sitting at 240,000 miles. The only thing I've had done to the car is maintenance (oil, tune-up, tires, etc) and very minor repairs. By minor repairs, I've had to replace the driver door check arm twice (about $30 each time and easy to do myself), and the antenna recently broke, partly my fault by putting antenna balls on it.

Other than that, this has seriously been a fantastic car. I bought it at 70k miles for $8000. I knew I wanted a vibe because it had everything Toyota for a GM price tag. It's taken me all over the country and has been the source of many happy memories. I couldn't be any happier with this car and would seriously consider getting another late model vibe or even a matrix when the time comes to replace it. At 240k I just want to see if I can make it another 240k, at this point I don't care to get another car because of how incredibly reliable this one has been

200,000 still going strong!!!
By tigerfury007

2004 Pontiac Vibe Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

My mother in 2004 needed a new car her old car was worn out and she is rough on cars. She test drove couple cars and fell in love with the pontiac vibe. She bought it brand new with 9 miles on it and in 2014 exactly 10 years later I write this review this car now has 211,000 miles still drives literally like its brand new aged very well awesome gas mileage and cheap to maintain!!! I recommend this car for anyone Toyota and GM made a good product toyota powertrain and motor and gm body. Since pontiac is dead now the vibe is still being made under the Toyota Matrix nameplate.

Excellent gas milage, interior looks very nice everything still works after 10 years. Car has plenty of room.

Nothing keep up the good work Toyota and GM

Drives and survives (Not AWD, base automatic trans)
By joshhasavibe

2004 Pontiac Vibe Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

As a delivery driver for a certain "freaky fast" sandwich shop, this car is perfect. Tons of room in the back with the seats down, oodles of gas mileage, it's an all around great car for my job. Now, I'm 20, so naturally I'm gonna drive this car pretty hard. The car does kind of slug through first gear, but after that it takes off like a rocket. I often forget it's just a little 1.8L. I've had no major repairs at 104k, bought at 90k. Only really "major" things I've HAD to do are transmission fluid/filter. Other than that, this car's a little champ. Has a nice engine noise for being a 4cyl, nice torque, good suspension and cornering. Definitely a head turner when folks see it's just a Vibe.

All of it! Toyota's "Never Dying" engine especially.

Only serious complaint would be the transmission shifts a little rough sometimes, but only when I'm really pushing it.