2004 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:
Luv it unless I'm going up the hill
By khokoomj on 03/06/11 21:51 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

bought my car brand new Sept. 03, went to the dealershop and specifically told the salesman what kind of vehicle I wanted. I got a sporty looking orange vibe, I luv it unless I am going up the hill and it starts to power out and I have to shift down, great on prairie roads. Recently, there is a ticking sound and had it inspected & changed different things I have been told might be wrong with it, but the ticking is still there. A GM dealershop told me it might be the tranny but I have no problem shifting or anything like that or might be a rock inside the tranny, have had no other problems with it except its gutless. I have been told it might be the purge valve so I will change it

Unbreakable
By JK on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car 4 years ago with 20,000 miles on it and it is up to about 110,000. So far the only failures were a belt tensioner ($100 fix) and two of the digital display lights in the radio went out. The car runs like the day I bought it. Mechanically, it seems indestructible. The body and paint are both solid too. I tend to neglect the body and on the rare occasion I wash and polish it, it always looks like it great. Not only is it well built, but it is very comfortable. With some years on the Vibe name now, more and more reviews are from people with 200k+ miles and I hope to be one of them. When the day comes to replace this, I only hope its twin, the Toyota Matrix, is still around.

Amazing even after 165,000 miles!
By rr on 06/30/10 07:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Did a lot of research when I bought this car in 2004 new and could not have believed at that time that this would have been as amazing as it has been. My daily driver for a long commute for the past 6 yrs and I still love it! We have only replaced tires, oxygen sensor, AND it still has original brakes. The most amazing car - can't say enough good about it. Love how it drives, love the looks, versatility, everything. It has become a good old friend and I shall keep it until it dies (which may be 450,000 miles+) but I seriously can't imagine a better car and I have a luxury SUV but still love this car!

Pontiac Vibe
By courtney92381 on 04/07/10 15:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love mine. I bought it in June 2009 and could not be more happy. Will be buying another when it's time to trade this one in for a new model. Love it's capacity and room. It has all the luxury of a big SUV but in a smaller package.

A *great* car
By themrfreeze on 04/02/10 12:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my '04 Vibe. Rock solid reliable, versatile and roomy interior, enjoyable to drive on long trips. I could haul loads of 8-foot lumber or big bulky items in the back. Car was easy to work on as well, though all I ever needed to do it was rotate tires and change the oil. Got wrecked in '09, and I still miss it.

Miss my Vibe :(
By AMF on 03/01/10 10:31 AM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got my 5 speed Vibe with 50K on it, only reason I got it was because it was a stick and got good MPG. After driving it 2.5 years I fell in love with it. Got rid of it at 112K because my fiance is 6'3" and there just isn't enough room for more than us in the car. Driving mostly alone I loved how I could reach EVERYTHING in the car with no problem. Auto headlights were great but wish there was a way to turn them off certain times w/o parking break on. The previous owner had cut a cheap outdoor mat to fit in the rear which was a great idea, helped keep stuff in place. All the little compartments were great. Never broke down or needed repairs. If you're under 5'10" you should love this car!

5spd
By 3ni on 12/26/09 19:46 PM (PST)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

All factory with aftermarket 19 inch bbs rims, rides nice kinda slow as compared to a 1.8 vtech honda, I have 310000 KM and it still runs smooth with no major problems eccept for that dam window!!!

like new at 103K miles, original brakes
By RollaRiss on 10/09/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Our 5 speed manual Vibe has been absolutely trouble free, looks and drives like new. At 103,000 miles it still has the original brakes! Only replaced tires and wiper blades. The oil level tops the dipstick between changes at 3-5K, never added any. The original Continental Contac tires wore evenly to the wear bars at 30K but replacements wear fine. We use the 110 volt dash outlet all the time on trips to charge cell phones. Gas mileage good for such utility. Great highway car. Can be hard to hold back to 70 mph, seems to want to go 75-80. A great only car: economical and versatile. We still get compliments on its styling. The ride is taut, can be harsh on rough roads unloaded.

OK Car
By wingman on 05/28/09 12:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Roomy for a smaller car. Has some nice amenities - lots of nice storage areas, regular electrical outlet, fold-flat front passenger seat. Has needed more repairs than I'd like. Has had on-going issues with the computer system and sensors going bad. Had to replace the wheel bearings early on. AC is now going bad. Transmission leaves much to be desired - does not perform well at highway speeds. This car works for 2 kids, but 3 car seats will not fit in the back.

I love/hate my car
By My Vibe on 04/20/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I love my vibe, love everything about it but recently my car was making noises and when I took it in for its regular maintenance I was informed that the whole motor needed to be replaced, I maintenance this car every 3 months. The valves, timing belt tensioner, and the rod and barrings all needed to be replaced (so the whole motor). Everyone wants $4500.00 up to $6000.00 to replace this Toyota motor. I am highly upset with Pontiac about my car. Because I love everything about my car and now I have these problems, the car has now 92k miles and I till owe $6k on the car. So I am out of a car and have to pay back $6k to the bank! I have 2 kids that I travel wi