Used 2003 Pontiac Vibe Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

2003 Pontiac Vibe

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

93,000 Miles and no major issues
By fwviber

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Vibe 3 years ago and it still looks and runs great. We traded in an SUV to save on gas money. The savings has been great. We get around 30 mpg no matter where we drive. We have owned the car from 36,000 to 93,000 miles and have only had to replace the alternator, outside of your normal tires and brake replacements.

Favorite Features

Fold down back seats, styling, comfort, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

The ash tray/compartment under the gear shift is very cheap. It opens on its own all the time. The car is also sluggish of the line, which you would expect from a wagon. Also, the base model is not very good in winter weather.

Good solid car with some issues
By R. Florez

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Interior design is great. Very flexible, roomy, and comfortable, however there have been a few quality issues common to this model. Broken blend door motor, broken latches on HVAC air filter, overly sensitive automatic headlight sensor that turns on headlights and dims dash lights on a sunny day when A-pillar casts a shadow on sensor. I've had an issue with the headlights mysteriously turning on when the car sits overnight in temperatures near or below freezing, resulting in a dead battery the next morning. No mechanical problems. Fuel mileage is excellent with 1.8L engine. I get about 31-32mpg in mostly city driving. Of course the downside is that acceleration with this engine is anemic.

Favorite Features

Interior use of space, particularly fold down rear seats that create a flat floor. You can fit a ton of stuff in the back with the seats down. Very comfortable front seats; I can drive for hours without back pain. Flip up rear hatch window.

Suggested Improvements

I believe they have fixed most of the issues in later models. There is now a power upgrade that increases performance without a big hit on fuel economy. Also exterior design is much cleaner and more attractive.

Everything you could want in a crossover
By Dandy Don

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We now have over 117,000 miles on our vibe and the only thing we have had to repair aside from normal maintenance is that the drivers side window came out of its track and I had to pay $40 to have them quickly go in and set it back up. I replaced the plugs at about 110,000 miles and they looked kinda dirty...amazing isn't it!? I use it for weekly hot dog cookouts at my work for 200 people buying 15 cases of pop, 50 packs of Hotdogs, 50 buns, cookies, chips etc. which all fit nicely inside while I average 30 MPG + combined hwy/cty. Good stereo (get the moon and tune pkg. with the sunroof and 6 speakers w/250 watts)and an amazing amount of room inside in something only the length of a Corrola.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, amazing room inside, easy to park, neat gauges by Pontiac, peppy enough that you never feel underpowered getting onto the highway

Suggested Improvements

More bolstering on the seats-which haven't torn or sagged in the last 6 years and still look fine. Could use a little more sound deadening for road noise (wind noise is fine)

Vibe is a joy to own!
By Hugh

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

In almost six years now we have only put tires, a battery, and front brake pads on this car! Oil and filter of course, but wonderful car. Highway mileage goes to low 30's at high speeds. Contrary to what some here report, the Vibe and Matrix are made in America on the same assembly line in California.

Favorite Features

Carry capacity, seats all go down, easy to service, great reliability, never has failed us!

Suggested Improvements

More sound deadening, new ones have more power, we will be getting a 2009 !

110 k and still a great little car
By paganpink

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the regular FWD with auto. and moon and tunes pkg. Get around 30 mpg (combined) no matter how hard I drive, which is impressive. Recently passed 110,000 miles and have had to replace nothing but oil and tires, and just bought tires for the first time in 3 years. Super little vehicle with an amazing amount of space inside considering how compact it is on the outside, smaller in size than an older Honda civic! Easy to drive and park, small turning radius, and (w/the optional sound system) very loud and great sounding sound. No squeaks or rattles and handles surprisingly well in the turns. One of the best cars I have ever owned and I have had dozens. A Toyota at heart but w/Pontiac styl

Favorite Features

Sound system, gas mileage, retains a modern and stylish look, great ability to haul surprisingly large items (or the 12 cases of pop & 400 hot dogs and buns with all the trimmings, including chili, that I buy for a cookout at my workplace ever week that we don't have an injury; food for 225 people!)

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower, you can never have enough, and Toyota is the best at increasing power and GAINING M.P.G. at the same time. Some small visibility problems to the right rear due to the C pillar. Add a sub woofer as part of the premium sound system. Larger disc brakes as an added margin of comfort.