2003 Pontiac Vibe Consumer Reviews 3

2003 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:
No fun in mountains, MPG false
By Denver Driver on 03/29/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

We got the AWD Vibe to take to the mountains but it is way underpowered and the AWD version doesn't come in manual transmission to help. Transmission actually feels like it slips when going up long hill, feels like someone has rear ended the car. Also we get about 22 MPG, Hwy or city. Other than that, the car is fine, roomy, I really like the air vents as they fully close.

93,000 Miles and no major issues
By fwviber on 03/10/09 10:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Vibe 3 years ago and it still looks and runs great. We traded in an SUV to save on gas money. The savings has been great. We get around 30 mpg no matter where we drive. We have owned the car from 36,000 to 93,000 miles and have only had to replace the alternator, outside of your normal tires and brake replacements.

Good solid car with some issues
By R. Florez on 02/11/09 09:13 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Interior design is great. Very flexible, roomy, and comfortable, however there have been a few quality issues common to this model. Broken blend door motor, broken latches on HVAC air filter, overly sensitive automatic headlight sensor that turns on headlights and dims dash lights on a sunny day when A-pillar casts a shadow on sensor. I've had an issue with the headlights mysteriously turning on when the car sits overnight in temperatures near or below freezing, resulting in a dead battery the next morning. No mechanical problems. Fuel mileage is excellent with 1.8L engine. I get about 31-32mpg in mostly city driving. Of course the downside is that acceleration with this engine is anemic.

Everything you could want in a crossover
By Dandy Don on 02/07/09 07:05 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We now have over 117,000 miles on our vibe and the only thing we have had to repair aside from normal maintenance is that the drivers side window came out of its track and I had to pay $40 to have them quickly go in and set it back up. I replaced the plugs at about 110,000 miles and they looked kinda dirty...amazing isn't it!? I use it for weekly hot dog cookouts at my work for 200 people buying 15 cases of pop, 50 packs of Hotdogs, 50 buns, cookies, chips etc. which all fit nicely inside while I average 30 MPG + combined hwy/cty. Good stereo (get the moon and tune pkg. with the sunroof and 6 speakers w/250 watts)and an amazing amount of room inside in something only the length of a Corrola.

Vibe is a joy to own!
By Hugh on 09/16/08 10:09 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

In almost six years now we have only put tires, a battery, and front brake pads on this car! Oil and filter of course, but wonderful car. Highway mileage goes to low 30's at high speeds. Contrary to what some here report, the Vibe and Matrix are made in America on the same assembly line in California.

Keep it till it dies
By GT4me on 08/06/08 22:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Purchased my Vibe GT new, it now has 74,200 miles on it after owning it for almost 6 years. It's always been great on gas (I currently average about 26 mpg), big on room, and fun to drive. Want a Toyota Celica GTS with dirt cheap insurance and way more room? Get an '03 Vibe GT, they share the same drivetrain. Versatility and endurance are defined by this car. I work in outside sales and drive all day every day for my job. Never had any problems with mine. Changed the tires, brakes, and oil and that's all. Had a speaker go bad in the passenger side front door that was replaced under warranty. No moonroof leaks after 6 years. Required the least maintenance of any car I ever owned.

110 k and still a great little car
By paganpink on 07/19/08 08:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the regular FWD with auto. and moon and tunes pkg. Get around 30 mpg (combined) no matter how hard I drive, which is impressive. Recently passed 110,000 miles and have had to replace nothing but oil and tires, and just bought tires for the first time in 3 years. Super little vehicle with an amazing amount of space inside considering how compact it is on the outside, smaller in size than an older Honda civic! Easy to drive and park, small turning radius, and (w/the optional sound system) very loud and great sounding sound. No squeaks or rattles and handles surprisingly well in the turns. One of the best cars I have ever owned and I have had dozens. A Toyota at heart but w/Pontiac styl

Awesome buy
By tishwo on 07/18/08 08:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Our vibe has been phenomenal. No mechanical problems whatsoever! The reliability and drivability has been that of a European car!

fun and economical
By cindy on 07/10/08 21:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vibe used with 28,000 miles on it. I've had it for 4 years and have not had any service issues. Did have the window bolts replaced for the recall (and my windows had started making a terrible noise). This vehicle has carried lots of cargo from roofing shingles to 10' trees. I also have hauled lots of kids in the back seat with no complaints. The car cleans up well and still looks good. I will most likely consider another one when the time comes to replace it. I drive about 80 miles a day so the 30 mpg is important to me. Its also pretty fun to drive, more fun than my Camry or Explorer

Pontiac Vibe w/ 148,000 miles
By David Crump on 07/07/08 10:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car has worked great for 148,000 miles. I totaled it out 2 weeks ago. I wanted the car to go 250,000 miles. I have had no MAJOR issues with the car. Normally I would see a clutch around 100,000 and new CVC joints around then from other cars I have owned. But no issues with the Vibe. Great Gas mileage, for the price and the cost it is better than the VW jetta TDI. I have had 3 problems with the car: 1. Three of the four door handles broke around 110,000 miles. 2. The transmission bearings went out at 38,000 miles. It would have been covered under there new 100,000 protection plan. 3. The back seat cup holders broke around 50,000 they are just made from cheap plastic.