Used 2003 Pontiac Vibe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Absolutely love my Vibe!
By Kira

2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 161,000 miles & still drive it everyday. Been to Florida & Wisconsin several times, never any problems. Great gas 34mpg hwy. Replaced battery, brakes, tires only. Hit a deer $4000 damage to front end, it stopped in a straight line, no-one injured except dead deer, was amazed. Only problem I've had is the gas door broke off at hinges recently. I would buy this car again today if I could. So much storage space. I have slept comfortably overnight in this car many times because you can fold the seats down flat & make a bed on top. There was a recall on front side windows for loose bolt replacement, work completed for free, no problems since. No recall on gas door yet,I reported it.

Styling is cool & sporty. Fold down seats. Sunroof. AWD with good tires drives through snow like anything. Have driven over frozen Lake Superior many times. I feel so safe in this car. Seat material very durable, no tears, holes, rips, & I raised teens in this car. Paint & interior has held up well.

Annoying lack of space between seats & center console, when you drop a pencil, very hard to retrieve & I have small hands. Some wind noise at driver's window. Seat material durable, but stains easily. Pullout sun visor extensions would be great. Bigger cup holders. Love the 110ac adapters built in.

Great on gas, but poor engine
By Kristy

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my vibe because I have heard such good reviews, and I liked the fact that it is a Toyota in disguise, but I am truly dissapointed. The check engine light came on and when checked out, it turns out I need a catalytic converter, also it has started losing oil so a compression test was done and I need a new engine also, which is why my cat. converter went bad. I have been sooo upset because I dont have the money to just go and put a whole new engine in and I have to have a car. Regular oil changes have always been done in this car so we dont know why the engine has went bad. I hope everyone else has better luck with their vibe.

it sits fairly high, I like where the gear shift is located, I love the fold down seats, very nice when hauling stuff. I like the interior design, though some parts are cheaply made.

Best Little SUV/Wagon Made!
By pattyc

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We bought this car when it was just a yr old in 2004. It had 36,340 miles. It now has 172,000 miles and still in GREAT Shape! We drive mostly highway miles and enjoyed 30 MPG but got 33 MPG on a recent trip to Ohio. Due to the 6 speed manual transmission and being extremely well maintained. You would be Amazed at what you can haul when the back seats are laidd down flat since the back cargo capacity is Huge! Sister car to the Toyota Matrix at a fraction of the price. I Love this car and would buy a new one but Pontiac is no longer making them thanks to GM. Replaced the brakes once. Alternator Drive Belt in 2006. The starter recently & tires in 2007. Otherwise just changed the oil religiously.

Extremely Reliable! Large cargo room when laying the rear seats down flat. I hauled bookcases,dressers & chairs with no problem. Newer models weren't as wide to accommodate a change in rear lights.

This is not a luxury car and was plenty comfortable for me driving to work everyday but my husband thought comfort could have been improved.

Great little car
By Vibe Ride

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I now have over 171000 miles on my Vibe. I have done my own oil changes sense I bought it. I replaced the front rotors and brake pads at 120000 miles. The only issue ever has been the check engine light is on and it is a possible of 4 issues but it still runs excellent. Front drives seat had a spring break and now there is a tear in the fabric. Out side of these items this has been a great car. 3 out of 4 of my family cars are Pontiac. We also have an 05 Sunfire and a 98 Grand Am GT. This Vibe handles well. Decent pick up for a small 4 cylinder. Plenty of head room for a 6'2" tall driver. Nice fuel economy on it. I still get about 28 MPG with it.

MPG's. Head room. The lack of issues I have had with it.

Improve the sun visor. Hits the rear view mirror when lowered.

Good Car - 163,000 miles
By Mike

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vibe new in January '03, and it has been very reliable. I was horrified at first, when I leaned against the front fender, and it caved in like a paper bag, but the drivetrain is pure Toyota. I had a sensor replaced at around 100K for around $100, but that's it. I changed the hoses and serpentine belt, and flushed the radiator at around 80K, but that's it. My check engine light and airbag light are on, but it still runs great. It doesn't heat up until highway speed, so I think the thermostat is sticking. I am 6'3 and 275#, but I fit fine. My family of 4, and our luggage got 33mpg @ 80mph when the car was new!

Reliability and gas mileage! Roomy for a small car.

Terrible structural integrity. The body is like tin foil, and the plastic underneath the front, inside and out is falling off! I suspect I'll be driving only a chassis soon! Very noisy.