2003 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:
Absolutely love my Vibe!
By Kira on 08/04/10 23:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I now have 161,000 miles & still drive it everyday. Been to Florida & Wisconsin several times, never any problems. Great gas 34mpg hwy. Replaced battery, brakes, tires only. Hit a deer $4000 damage to front end, it stopped in a straight line, no-one injured except dead deer, was amazed. Only problem I've had is the gas door broke off at hinges recently. I would buy this car again today if I could. So much storage space. I have slept comfortably overnight in this car many times because you can fold the seats down flat & make a bed on top. There was a recall on front side windows for loose bolt replacement, work completed for free, no problems since. No recall on gas door yet,I reported it.

Great on gas, but poor engine
By Kristy on 05/17/10 15:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my vibe because I have heard such good reviews, and I liked the fact that it is a Toyota in disguise, but I am truly dissapointed. The check engine light came on and when checked out, it turns out I need a catalytic converter, also it has started losing oil so a compression test was done and I need a new engine also, which is why my cat. converter went bad. I have been sooo upset because I dont have the money to just go and put a whole new engine in and I have to have a car. Regular oil changes have always been done in this car so we dont know why the engine has went bad. I hope everyone else has better luck with their vibe.

Best Little SUV/Wagon Made!
By pattyc on 03/12/10 16:24 PM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Vibe GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We bought this car when it was just a yr old in 2004. It had 36,340 miles. It now has 172,000 miles and still in GREAT Shape! We drive mostly highway miles and enjoyed 30 MPG but got 33 MPG on a recent trip to Ohio. Due to the 6 speed manual transmission and being extremely well maintained. You would be Amazed at what you can haul when the back seats are laidd down flat since the back cargo capacity is Huge! Sister car to the Toyota Matrix at a fraction of the price. I Love this car and would buy a new one but Pontiac is no longer making them thanks to GM. Replaced the brakes once. Alternator Drive Belt in 2006. The starter recently & tires in 2007. Otherwise just changed the oil religiously.

Great little car
By Vibe Ride on 12/14/09 06:59 AM (PST)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I now have over 171000 miles on my Vibe. I have done my own oil changes sense I bought it. I replaced the front rotors and brake pads at 120000 miles. The only issue ever has been the check engine light is on and it is a possible of 4 issues but it still runs excellent. Front drives seat had a spring break and now there is a tear in the fabric. Out side of these items this has been a great car. 3 out of 4 of my family cars are Pontiac. We also have an 05 Sunfire and a 98 Grand Am GT. This Vibe handles well. Decent pick up for a small 4 cylinder. Plenty of head room for a 6'2" tall driver. Nice fuel economy on it. I still get about 28 MPG with it.

Good Car - 163,000 miles
By Mike on 10/21/09 20:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vibe new in January '03, and it has been very reliable. I was horrified at first, when I leaned against the front fender, and it caved in like a paper bag, but the drivetrain is pure Toyota. I had a sensor replaced at around 100K for around $100, but that's it. I changed the hoses and serpentine belt, and flushed the radiator at around 80K, but that's it. My check engine light and airbag light are on, but it still runs great. It doesn't heat up until highway speed, so I think the thermostat is sticking. I am 6'3 and 275#, but I fit fine. My family of 4, and our luggage got 33mpg @ 80mph when the car was new!

Love my Vibe!
By Feather on 10/18/09 18:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the Vibe new in 2003 and have only had to do the brakes, oil changes, and tires - and we're almost at 100K (97K right now). Even though we can't fit three car seats in the back (darn!) and have #3 on the way, we are keeping this car as my husband's daily driver. Easy to drive, enough horsepower for me - LOVE the storage capabilities with this car, and I would recommend one to anyone. Definitely impressed with my first (and what seems like my last due to the demise of the brand) Pontiac.

toms vibe
By tom on 08/11/09 18:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

have a vibe just turned 100,000 miles. never had any repairs other than oil every 3,000 miles. couple sets of brakes, and few sets of tire. and couple of head lights. best mechanical car i ever owned.

Not sexy, but dependable
By Jay Brad on 05/11/09 09:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Vibe with 36,000 miles and are now at 96,000 miles. The only repair was on the alternator at 90,000 miles. Outside of that it has just been oil changes and brake pads. This is a great car! The only thing it lacks is a cool factor. However, we drive a ton and the whole family enjoys the ride.

GrannyVibes
By beckys56 on 04/21/09 12:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with the vibe. It gets great gas mileage on hwy 35- 36,in town average 29. Lots of room for my camping equipment and grandkids. Got a lewis and clark bag for the top when in travel mode, works great saves room in vehicle for other things. Do wish I had cruise control. Would suggest for people to purchase a vibe. Not really liking the new design, but as long as they didn't chg the mileage I could handle the new design. I have drove 70000 miles in 6yrs, I would drive my vibe any where if need be, handles great, even in snow. Change oil 3000 miles or 3mths,tires 1x a year and yearly check ups.

If it was a lesser car, I'd be dead.
By can't complain on 04/06/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was recently hit by someone who ran a stop sign; t-boned the car, and it was slammed tail first into an electric pole. We walked away from the car with soft tissue damage; if it'd been a lesser car, we would have been badly hurt. No side air bags--I LOVED my car. Filled up each Sunday, got me around for the week with 40 miles a day average, with manual transmission. Had a problem with the gas tank, but it was just an annoyance. Car was NEVER a headache. After 6 years, it still had a beautiful exterior, paint held up well. Seats stain a little too easily, imo. Drove well, only had to replace the clutch, NEVER had any serious engine problems. FUN TO DRIVE, just check my mileage, lol!