Used 2003 Pontiac Vibe Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Vibe Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

How To Get Toyota Performance in A GM Product, Better Styling & All on a Solid Frame
By zoezmom

2003 Pontiac Vibe Wagon GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this for my 6'3" husband to commute from MD to D.C., brand new in 2003 - Trying to figure out how to please a guy, who drove a Camaro for years, but, who only believes in paying for GTO (Gas, Tires & Oil) & is a bad owner (I take care of scheduling all reg. maintenance on our cars), I knew that this would be a perfect choice. Lowest Cost of Ownership, ever! A $1K Ox Sensor, Cat Converter & Exhaust was needed by 150K Miles & just dropped her off for her first Clutch & Full Assembly & 2nd-Ever Tune-up with an Odometer Reading of 241K Miles, which will be $1500-$1600. My Mechanic stated that it has a Supra Engine & I have to tell you, it handles like an Dream Fast, Fun, Smooth & Solid

6-speed transmission = Overall better handling on curvy, treacherous back roads & superior acceleration for merging into the insane traffic, that encompasses MD, DC & N.VA. Solid Frame - Not A Unibody - Won't fold up like an accordian in a crash. Converts to SUV - All the seats including the front passenger seat - fold down - I have moved furniture in this car - provides alot more cargo room, than it appears.

The only improvement needed would be better lumbar support in the driver's seat for long commutes; otherwise, absolutely perfect!

Gets the job done!
By th3fr4nchi5e

2003 Pontiac Vibe Wagon AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Vibe for $200 as a Winter beater about 2 years ago from a gentleman who definitely did not car for the car. A $50 flywheel, $300 in winter tires and alot of TLC and it was back in action. Car has ran great since and is a blast to drive. Not fast by any means but the little 4 banger screams up top and handles pretty well. Its excellent in the snow on fresh winter tires and so easy to play around in without losing control. Got the car with 91k miles, now is nearing 110k. Just the initial stuff and regular maintenance and not other expenses yet! (knock on wood) Gets around 30 mpg on the highway and low-mid 20s in the city. If you need a fun point A to point B car, buy a Vibe!

Fuel Economy, durability, reliability, winter handling, plenty of room for a 6 footer in front and back. Good sized cargo space, excellent with back seats folded down. Excellent Visibility.

A little under powered for a hot-hatch, passenger compartment is not the quietest and wind is felt strongly through the steering wheel. (poor aerodynamics.)

Not bad but not what I expected.
By 93pontiacga

2003 Pontiac Vibe Wagon GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Being a Toyota, I thought I could get at least 250k miles out of it before any major repairs. They say about cars nickle and diming you after they got older. This car never did that, it just slammed me with a book. I replaced the cat once, which was under warranty. At 188k, I replaced the clutch. Great so far. It has 219k on it now and it just cost me almost as much to fix as the car is worth. Needless to say, I most likely wont get another car with a Toyota engine in it.

Horsepower,6 speed manual, looks and interior space.

Worst car I've ever bought
By pra22

2003 Pontiac Vibe Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used 3 months ago (with 118,000 miles), and in the 3000 miles I've driven it, it has needed TWO catalytic convertors! It also needed repair on a window that was cobbled together (which of course, I couldn't see). It is also the NOISIEST car I've ever had. It revs up alot each morning when it is cold outside until I've traveled a few miles at higher speeds. I rue the day I bought this car and I'm afraid to drive it for fear the transmission will be next. I clearly have a lemon.

Roomy, handles well.

NEVER ever buy a car with TWO catalytic convertors because they are $500 a piece. Also when buying a used car, be sure to: 1) turn off all radios, blowers so you can hear the engine 2) check thoroughly for burn holes (push front seat backs apart from seat so you can see into cracks - big burn hole I discovered later) 3) get into back seat and thoroughly inspect 4) look at ceiling for wear and dirt 5) roll and unroll all windows completely up and down (mine fell out of track when lowered certain amount) 6) if warranty is offered - take it 7) look in trunk and check for signs of rust 8) don't buy a car that has more than average number of owners (look at car fax)

Purchased new
By drava

2003 Pontiac Vibe Wagon GT Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I now have 114,000 miles on car. Am very satisfied, It handles like a sports car, feels like a sport car, performs like a sports car with its hi tech engine and 6 speed trans. I wish a supercharger was available, Did you know that the GT engine is the same base engine used in the Lotus Elise sports car? I understand the engine is built by Yamaha A supercharger is available for the engine by Lotus plus it has a special software to control the valve timing I have replaced only normal wear items ie clutch, brakes, tires, struts Did have powerwidow problem ie glass coming loose from regulater, but they did have a recall on that

Engine, fold down seats, trans, handlling, all the other standard features

would be great if they offered a supercharger\\ Would be good if they could better sound proof car.