1998 Pontiac Trans Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trans Sport model:
The Best Ride
By Great Vehicle on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

I've had this vehicle for 6 years now, the only problem with it was that the radio went out. We love taking it on trips its great on the road most recently we came back from Mexico where we drove for over 35hrs only stopping for gas vehicle performed well and was very comfortable to drive. The reliable V6 has power when you need it. Just a Great vehicle overall!

Reliable
By Rcktmn on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

I've had my Trans Sport for about 4 years now and I would drive it anywhere with no fear of it "breaking down" or not getting good mileage. I get about 26-28 mpg on the hwy and about 20-24 in the city. I've had nothing but pleasure from driving both of my Pontiacs. I had a 1995 Grand Am that was also an awesome vehicle. I've taken multiple road trips in both and trust them completly to get my family there and back safely.

So Many Things to Like-so many problems
By MDuff on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Minivan

I really like this van, however; I've had so many problems with it. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty, which still has me ahead on cost compared to Chrysler. However, the constant trips to the dealer was a pain. Some of the repeat repairs may have been due to the dealer's ability. Problems include: (3)new wiper assemblies, (2)new torque converters, new transmission, air leakage around windows, sliding door alignment, instrument panel lights & switches at $125 each, Traction Control Circuit problems, ABS Brake problems, new ventilation blower motor, & fuel level sensor level sensor.

'98 Montana unreliable
By waterman on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Like to drive it. Nice features. Good on fuel. Handling and comfort are very good. Reliability is poor. Numerous problems...power doors, power windows, fuel injectors, intake manifold gaskets, rear wiper motor, now seized engine at 71,000 miles due to coolant leaking into crankcase. Pontiac is paying for 1/2 of over $5,000 worth of repairs to engine. Very discouraging.

Family necessity
By mikeametz on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

We have taken this vehicle everywhere. It is a great family car and car pools well for school.

Vehicle Good, Service Stinks
By Wonder Woman on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Purchased with 58,000 km (Canada). We also purchased warranty to cover electronic gizmos. Biggest problem, power sliding door. Took to be serviced, dealership claimed the motor was dead - replacement cost $1,800Cdn or cut the power cables. What about the extended warranty, oops, not covered. Surprise. We cut the cables. A few weeks later someone pushes the door open button and surprise, the motor is running. Probably not a motor problem but a problem getting power to the motor. Too late now, the cables are cut. Other than this we've done some normal maintenance, but nothing major. Did replace one of the headlight covers. Now has 107,000 km.

By dkammeraad on 07/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Minivan

Good Van the only thing is wen something does wear out it cost a arm and a leg ( intake gasket, wheel bearings, brakes)

transsport report
By candlou on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Bought it new , has been a good car, 65000 miles replaced brakes,tires,

Problems...problems...problems
By Bbechtel on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

Want a "nickel and dime you to death" vehicle? Buy one of these. Both headlight covers have fallen off, $180 per light, intake manifold gasket blown after 32,000 miles (part was on national backorder for months), $800.00 to fix. Driver side window disfunctional. Clock light in radio not working, had to replace entire radio, $350.00 to fix. No satisfaction from GM, should be a recall on the headlight covers, everone is having problems with them. Should be a recall on the intake gasket, none as of yet. I'd never buy another one of these.

Gets into yer pocket a bit at a time
By Drive-It-Til-It-Dies on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Imagine a vehicle you like which nickles and dimes you to death... I drive a lot on Chicago's tollway system...lotsa miles. The car runs good, but some failures have cost me some money. The radio display went Klingon on me, was fixed, and is going Klingon again. The power door has failed... is now a manual door. Coolant leak into engine darn near killed it and cost me over a grand to fix. But I like sitting high, and it is a great road vehicle. With the miles I put on it I won't get squat in trade, so I'll drive it until it blows up.