1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

The Best Ride
By Great Vehicle

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

I've had this vehicle for 6 years now, the only problem with it was that the radio went out. We love taking it on trips its great on the road most recently we came back from Mexico where we drove for over 35hrs only stopping for gas vehicle performed well and was very comfortable to drive. The reliable V6 has power when you need it. Just a Great vehicle overall!

Favorite Features

Enough seating for everyone, privacy glass is also a plus.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone I also think the cupholders should be moved. My kids stepped on them and broke them. Luck was on my side and I found replacements on ebay.

Reliable
By Rcktmn

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

I've had my Trans Sport for about 4 years now and I would drive it anywhere with no fear of it "breaking down" or not getting good mileage. I get about 26-28 mpg on the hwy and about 20-24 in the city. I've had nothing but pleasure from driving both of my Pontiacs. I had a 1995 Grand Am that was also an awesome vehicle. I've taken multiple road trips in both and trust them completly to get my family there and back safely.

Favorite Features

Sleek front end

Suggested Improvements

Interior cup holders could be moved to a more convinent location. (My kids leave them down then step on them when they walk to the back.)

So Many Things to Like-so many problems
By MDuff

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Minivan

I really like this van, however; I've had so many problems with it. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty, which still has me ahead on cost compared to Chrysler. However, the constant trips to the dealer was a pain. Some of the repeat repairs may have been due to the dealer's ability. Problems include: (3)new wiper assemblies, (2)new torque converters, new transmission, air leakage around windows, sliding door alignment, instrument panel lights & switches at $125 each, Traction Control Circuit problems, ABS Brake problems, new ventilation blower motor, & fuel level sensor level sensor.

Favorite Features

Lower initial cost than Chrysler and more features, much nicer interior, and better exterior styling in my opinion. Side plastic keeps the grocery cart dings away, load leveling keeps it riding flat, air compressor great for rec equip. Very comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Just make it more reliable.

'98 Montana unreliable
By waterman

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Like to drive it. Nice features. Good on fuel. Handling and comfort are very good. Reliability is poor. Numerous problems...power doors, power windows, fuel injectors, intake manifold gaskets, rear wiper motor, now seized engine at 71,000 miles due to coolant leaking into crankcase. Pontiac is paying for 1/2 of over $5,000 worth of repairs to engine. Very discouraging.

Favorite Features

Handling and ride comfort. Good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Improve specific component reliability. Pontiac should recall faulty intake manifold gaskets on 3.4 v6. Numerous complaints at www.nhtsa.com

Family necessity
By mikeametz

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

We have taken this vehicle everywhere. It is a great family car and car pools well for school.

Favorite Features

Both side doors slide. Low drivers lights go off when hitting high beams. Seat adjustment is easy.

Suggested Improvements

Better factory tires are needed. Cup holders need to be a more sturdy. Heavier springs added for the rear axle.

Vehicle Good, Service Stinks
By Wonder Woman

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Purchased with 58,000 km (Canada). We also purchased warranty to cover electronic gizmos. Biggest problem, power sliding door. Took to be serviced, dealership claimed the motor was dead - replacement cost $1,800Cdn or cut the power cables. What about the extended warranty, oops, not covered. Surprise. We cut the cables. A few weeks later someone pushes the door open button and surprise, the motor is running. Probably not a motor problem but a problem getting power to the motor. Too late now, the cables are cut. Other than this we've done some normal maintenance, but nothing major. Did replace one of the headlight covers. Now has 107,000 km.

Favorite Features

Love the look. Drives well. We did love the power door.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders should be up, not between seats. The auto leveling system should be quieter. Steering is a little stiff.

By dkammeraad

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Minivan

Good Van the only thing is wen something does wear out it cost a arm and a leg ( intake gasket, wheel bearings, brakes)

Favorite Features

nice ride, roomy, sporty

transsport report
By candlou

Bought it new , has been a good car, 65000 miles replaced brakes,tires,

Favorite Features

eight passenger capability,,With seats out we can haul most anything.

Suggested Improvements

grill not secured very well.. auto side door should work better.

Problems...problems...problems
By Bbechtel

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

Want a "nickel and dime you to death" vehicle? Buy one of these. Both headlight covers have fallen off, $180 per light, intake manifold gasket blown after 32,000 miles (part was on national backorder for months), $800.00 to fix. Driver side window disfunctional. Clock light in radio not working, had to replace entire radio, $350.00 to fix. No satisfaction from GM, should be a recall on the headlight covers, everone is having problems with them. Should be a recall on the intake gasket, none as of yet. I'd never buy another one of these.

Favorite Features

Lots of power gadgets. Power sliding door is best of them.

Suggested Improvements

More durability of the gadgets.

Gets into yer pocket a bit at a time
By Drive-It-Til-It-Dies

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Imagine a vehicle you like which nickles and dimes you to death... I drive a lot on Chicago's tollway system...lotsa miles. The car runs good, but some failures have cost me some money. The radio display went Klingon on me, was fixed, and is going Klingon again. The power door has failed... is now a manual door. Coolant leak into engine darn near killed it and cost me over a grand to fix. But I like sitting high, and it is a great road vehicle. With the miles I put on it I won't get squat in trade, so I'll drive it until it blows up.

Favorite Features

Compass/trip computer. Leather captain's chairs. AM/FM/Cass/CD with buttons on wheel. Front/rear heat/AC.

Suggested Improvements

Nagging little quality (i.e., reliability) problems. Find a display supplier that doesn't make Klingon displays for the radios. Brighter backup lights (my wife doesn't like driving it at night because of that.)