1998 Pontiac Trans Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trans Sport model:
i love my van
By ben reed on 04/04/06 11:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Minivan

this van has only needed one repair a fuel pump but my old caravan was a piece of crap i put a tranny a head gasket a fuel pump and a new sensor in the heater i would recommend the pontiac not the dodge

Never again
By Tired of GM on 11/30/05 13:46 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

This is the 2nd Montana I have owned and it has been a headache from the start. Examples are, brakes locked up making vehicle undrivable, replaced fuel injectors, replaced load leveler shocks and pump twice, power windows on both sides stopped working. Power side door won't stay closed, auto locks do not operate on side doors, lights on steering wheel quit working, outside temp readout says 20 degrees in the summer, intake manifold leaks, tailgate latch no longer works. After contacting Pontiac about all the problems I have had they told me I didn't qualify for a loyal customer discount on my next purchase even though this was my 6th Pontiac purchased. The quality of this car is a joke.

complaint
By Sean Roland on 09/20/05 15:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 3dr Minivan

bad experience - had engined opened three times, twice for manifold gasket (pink antifreeze problem) Also had the catalitic converter replaced twice (again because of the pink antifreeze).. GM hesitant to deal with vehicle, suggest I dispose of it ..

Good vehicle
By dennis on 07/19/05 17:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 3dr Minivan

No major or minor repairs except maint. And gets24 or25 mpg with a 50/50 split between highway and town driving. Still only uses 1/2 qt. Of oil at 4k oil change.

110,000 miles
By van owner on 06/29/05 23:43 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Great power, fun to drive good looks, plenty of room, trans went out 40k, replaced under ext warrr, both headlight covers fell off 150each, clock radio controls work when they want, moisture in lights bulbs goes out every 3 months, added coolent and leaks sometimes, great power for hills, nice lay out, cup holders break

Jeckyl and Hyde Van!
By Wagner Family on 01/28/05 21:58 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Such ironies! Bought with 19,000 miles and now have 109,000. Transmission great. Engine accelerates good and never a problem yet has always had cheap sounding, rough idle. Luxury and techie features are great, was ahead of its time. Yet same problems as everyone else! Leaking coolant cost $1k. Headlights/grill wobbly and cheap. Doors rattle, rear rattles. Nice ride on smooth roads but rattletrap on rough. Road noise in rear! And yes my radio/clock has now gone out. Obvious where production had flaws. Now trying sell and resale STINKS! Bottom line - close but no cigar - wouldn't cosider GM for new van or Ford/Chrysler for that matter. Bought 2005 Honda Ody - WOW! QUALITY!

Not a bad van for its time
By Dash9 on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

We also had to have our head gasket replaced at about 70,000 miles. This was very disappointing! Luckily I caught it about 3 weeks before my extended warranty expired. Other than this major problem, the only other issues we've had are trim pieces breaking and dealing with squeaks and general fit-n-finish problems. The display of our radio just went out about a month ago. In all this vehicle was good in 1998; however, there are MUCH better choices available now. An updated model is due soon, but it's basically the same van with only a few minor tweaks. It's not a new design. Check out the competition 1st. Rebates aren't everything.

Van for sale
By mona on 08/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

My family and I enjoyed this van for four years. When purchased it had 15,000 miles on it. We traveled several places. Our children are now young adults and we no longer need to have van that is an extended version. We had a bike rack installed that holds up to three bikes. I would like to know what the value of our vehicle is so we can determine whether or not we would like to buy something smaller. We even had a cd player installed.

Lemon Alert
By LauraESOM on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

With only 68,000 miles on this loaded Pontiac. The Intake manifold gasket leaked coolant into the engine(a problem that many other people are also reporting)The special "dexcool" coolant gums up, causing damage to the gasket. Before we knew this was the problem, we noticed that our van was always needed coolant added. We took it into a shop and they said it must just have air in the system. This was wrong of coarse. On top of that, the timing chain slipped (something mechanics say, shouldn't happen on a vehicle with so low miles)and bent some of the valves. It does not run, yet, we still owe.

maybe best car we ever had
By collegemom on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

This car was ordered by us, loaded. It has serverd us well. Trips to the villa in Hilton Head, parents 3 hours away, one child through college with dorm moves twice a year 4 hours away, another in 2nd year 3 hours away and various other trips. We carry two people and alot of stuff or six people and still a lot of stuff with a carrier on the top. Gas mileage is up to 27 mpg on the road and the range is about 600 miles.