Used 1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Trans Sport model:

ABS TCM
By adamsjjjr69

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Has 220,000 miles but recently the ABS TCM lights came on. When I stop to restart the car and clear the lights, the wheels "lock up" and it will not move. Had to have it towed twice. Had to have the ABS TCM module replaced ($1200) and it worked ok until yesterday. Did the same thing and the wheels lock up. Anyone else have this problem, because my mechanics cannot figure out why. They are replacing components but not sure of the cause.

Favorite Features

Extended wheel base means plenty of room for hauling when seats are removed.

Hard to replace
By sayin_goodbye

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Purchased in 98. While we did experience the lovely Dex-cool challenge & intake manifold gasket problems, I have loved my van. Faced with the challenge of finding a new vehicle 11+ years later, few seem to match the bells and whistles we got on our Montana, nor the mileage for the size of the vehicle. Unfortunately, the engineers responsible for it are now likely unemployed - we didn't qualify for Cash for Clunkers due to the great mileage. Vehicle aged well, is still sound, durable, and comfortable, but starting to have small maintenance problems, prompting us to get a new vehicle. The perfect vehicle made for my family's use. Got us through the travelling years (soccer,football,camping)

Favorite Features

Spacious - everywhere. comfortable for everyone, kids in the back and my 6'6" husband in the front seats. Loved the mileage, power sliding door, self- leveling, rear AC for summer travel with the family, and the air compressor (handy for filling bike tires when your camping)

Suggested Improvements

Would not have used the Dex-cool products. It caused so much trouble and unrest. Thank goodness I have a roadside protection plan.

Time for it to go!
By Had_enough

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

Purchased at 73,000 miles, currently 170,000 miles. Second time intake gasket leaking. Outside temp display works only if I bang on it. Lights on steering wheel controls don't work. Power sliding door won't open/close when van's on a hill. Lots of rattling noise in rear. Load leveler stopped working after hitting a bump in road. Rear brakes lock up when adjusted. headlights are aweful. Just ready to walk away from this van!

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance, room,

Suggested Improvements

Take a hard look at Toyota and Honda vans and try to make a more reliable van.

It just keeps on ticking
By It won't die

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Minivan

I have had a few problems with my Transport as well. The Manifold gasket and the radio display being 2 of them. I have also had to replace the power window switch twice on the drivers side. Overall this van has been exceptional. It never breaks down and all problems have been caught in regular checks. I was going to drive it till it died. But it's 10 years old and not even sick!

Favorite Features

Quality interior & seats. Lots of Power and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are awful, kids stepped on them the first week. Stereo display drove me crazy till I replaced it.

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport
By Tiny_Bambi

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

Major repairs, at 37,590 ml replaced alternator and battery. At 65,494 ml replaced defective water pump. At 73,066 ml replaced upper and lower manifold gasket along with thermostat due to damage created from dexicool that I no longer use. This vehicle will not accommodate a wheelchair lift to assist with transporting my son due to the slider doors on this year being too narrow. Was originally told when buying it that it would accommodate the lift system. (not!) my power windows do not work, running lights burn out and sockets are like crumbling, interior lights dysfunctional, don't even use auto slider door, half the time it does not work, allot of rattling from headlamps and running lights.

Favorite Features

Despite all of the engine problems the air works good and being the extended version will accommodate my sons wheelchair that I have to lift and place in the back of the van to transport. I am the lift system. I really have nothing good to say about this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

As others have said, GM, Take responsibility for the thousands of consumers that have to pay out hundreds of $ to replace the gaskets that Dexi-Cool destroys. (I have seen your bulletin distributed to dealers about it)I will never buy another Pontiac. The body structure is even completely off kilter