1998 Pontiac Trans Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trans Sport model:
ABS TCM
By adamsjjjr69 on 06/26/10 03:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Has 220,000 miles but recently the ABS TCM lights came on. When I stop to restart the car and clear the lights, the wheels "lock up" and it will not move. Had to have it towed twice. Had to have the ABS TCM module replaced ($1200) and it worked ok until yesterday. Did the same thing and the wheels lock up. Anyone else have this problem, because my mechanics cannot figure out why. They are replacing components but not sure of the cause.

Hard to replace
By sayin_goodbye on 01/02/10 15:12 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Purchased in 98. While we did experience the lovely Dex-cool challenge & intake manifold gasket problems, I have loved my van. Faced with the challenge of finding a new vehicle 11+ years later, few seem to match the bells and whistles we got on our Montana, nor the mileage for the size of the vehicle. Unfortunately, the engineers responsible for it are now likely unemployed - we didn't qualify for Cash for Clunkers due to the great mileage. Vehicle aged well, is still sound, durable, and comfortable, but starting to have small maintenance problems, prompting us to get a new vehicle. The perfect vehicle made for my family's use. Got us through the travelling years (soccer,football,camping)

Time for it to go!
By Had_enough on 01/21/09 21:01 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

Purchased at 73,000 miles, currently 170,000 miles. Second time intake gasket leaking. Outside temp display works only if I bang on it. Lights on steering wheel controls don't work. Power sliding door won't open/close when van's on a hill. Lots of rattling noise in rear. Load leveler stopped working after hitting a bump in road. Rear brakes lock up when adjusted. headlights are aweful. Just ready to walk away from this van!

It just keeps on ticking
By It won't die on 05/05/08 14:08 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Minivan

I have had a few problems with my Transport as well. The Manifold gasket and the radio display being 2 of them. I have also had to replace the power window switch twice on the drivers side. Overall this van has been exceptional. It never breaks down and all problems have been caught in regular checks. I was going to drive it till it died. But it's 10 years old and not even sick!

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport
By Tiny_Bambi on 04/05/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 4dr Ext Minivan

Major repairs, at 37,590 ml replaced alternator and battery. At 65,494 ml replaced defective water pump. At 73,066 ml replaced upper and lower manifold gasket along with thermostat due to damage created from dexicool that I no longer use. This vehicle will not accommodate a wheelchair lift to assist with transporting my son due to the slider doors on this year being too narrow. Was originally told when buying it that it would accommodate the lift system. (not!) my power windows do not work, running lights burn out and sockets are like crumbling, interior lights dysfunctional, don't even use auto slider door, half the time it does not work, allot of rattling from headlamps and running lights.

Not happy with GM
By quehouse on 02/11/08 17:21 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

I have put 135000 miles on this van. I have only recently had to do any major repairs. I just had the intake manifold gasket done. The radio display went quirky and died. A few electrical problem such as windows and rear windows not working. Just replaced the water pump a few months ago. And so far I have changed wheel bearing assemblies and both ball joints.

Wish it could last forever
By nina41 on 07/14/07 14:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

Purchased used with 45,000 miles on it. Dealer included new tires. Just replaced those in summer of 2006. Only other replacement was battery after 4 years(still factory issue). The only problems have been with the rear shocks. Replaced both due to clamp failure. Great gas mileage. Great ride. Very dependable with loads of room. With rear seats out you have a covered truck. Can't imagine life without my van.

Can't wait to sell
By Gayle on 02/06/07 08:04 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport 3dr Minivan

Manifold repaired, electrical problems everywhere, interior heating and cooling does not work, engine light, air bag and abs sensor lights on, worst vehicle I have ever owned The handling however is the best I have had even over a Honda Civic Family owns a 2000 Montana - same problems so GM is not listening or caring

Underrated - a fine automobile
By ROGER on 01/20/07 15:54 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

After nearly 10 years of service, it has never been found wanting. I average 24 mpg with over 107 k miles.

No more GM's for me
By No more GM's for me on 07/05/06 18:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Trans Sport Montana 4dr Ext Minivan

We bought this Canadian vehicle in at a Western Pennsylvania auto auction. We got it at less than 14,000 miles. We were delighted with it until 41K (6K out of warranty). Then, with no warning, the engine leaked coolant into the crank, two bearings spun and we needed to replace the engine - $4000! After politely but firmly requesting that GM should pay at least a part of the cost, they essentially told me to pound salt. The regional rep wouldn't even talk to me! Letters to GM basically said drop dead. Turns out my cousin had the same van, a year newer, with 48K - engine failed. My daughter's father in law had a Buick that failed at 5K with the same engine. NO MORE GM's FOR ME!!!!