Used 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Pontiac Trans-sport - Consumer Reviews

1995 Pontiac Trans Sport

SE 3.1L V6 3-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

Not too bad
By dd

1995 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

Have put about 40,000 miles since purchasing this vehicle. The engine was replaced 120,000 miles ago, but the chassis is very good. At 290,000 miles, just starting to get minor tranny leaks and just now replaced the tie rods (cheap if you do it yourself!). The gas mileage seems poor 18-20 per gallon and it really labors pulling my 12' pop up camper. I would not tow more than a boat with this even though it is supposed to be rated at 2400-3000 lbs. The tow package has no transmission cooler so you could burn out your tranny in a hurry. Good second vehicle for a big family. Fits 7 but is cramped on long trips. Looking to upgrade to a conversion van for space and better towing. Ditto on electic issue

Favorite Features

Body refuses to rust, chassis was built solidly. Leather looks nice and lasts.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is not very durable compared to other V-6. A lot of electrical issues. Power door works during certain phases of the moon, temp monitor way off, gas guage not accurate, relay dead on cruise.

Love it!
By Tim

1995 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

This is one of the best vehicles i have ever owned. Even with the 3.1 engine its fun to drive and never leaves me stranded.

Favorite Features

modular seats

Suggested Improvements

front seats wear out

I think It's A Keeper
By Paul Thompson

1995 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

Since I bought this car in 2001, I've put a few bucks into it. Two water pumps, a computer and prom, neutral safety switch, one ball joint, one tie- rod, and a fuel pump. The front brakes and rotors I did myself so that saved me a couple bucks. I was having trouble with the passenger side window but I found the broken wire. The A/C Heater control has never lit up with lights on but I know where everthing is even in the dark. New plugs & wires were done at 115,000 miles. The car now has 138,000 mi. on it. I guess my biggest fear is that of the unknown....How long will the tranny last.Right now it seems fine but who knows?

Favorite Features

The traction control and power sliding door are two great features as well as the dual Heat/ Air cond. The best feature I believe is the plastic body...no rust! I had a Buick mechanically sound but the body was shot.

Suggested Improvements

The rear window washer switch is screwy. To wash you go all the way down but if you don't quickly move the switch to the wipe position, it's on delay and it doesn't keep wiping to clean the window.

Our Fav Car of All Time
By sunnye

1995 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

Of all the cars we've had during the course of a 48 year marriage, this is our favorite. We will never trade it in. The design is perfect, especially the slanted front window and vertical back window. Air currents when the car is in motion keep the windshields free and clear. It's a comfortable car to drive or to ride in.

Favorite Features

The front windshield is canted so that it stays clear whether you're driving in a snowstorm or bug-storms.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the design back. We need a new car.

Replacement of engineS
By christinemad

1995 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

WATCH OUT. We are having to put the 3rd engine in this vehicle. On our way home from our holidays, the bottom went out again, just 16 months after putting in another motor (not rebuilt). There is a pattern here. It seems that the motor "goes" at about 155,000 kilometers. DO NOT BUY!!

Favorite Features

Leather interior and space is ver nice.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to do something about the motor. Having to put in a 3rd motor (the 2nd in 16 months) is TOO MUCH and TOO COSTLY!!