Used 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
the terminator
By lumina driver

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

This van has been great so far! Prior to the Lumina I had a Plymouth Grand Voyager. The Lumina has been much more reliable and I prefer it in almost all regards.

Favorite Features

Definately the interior, which is well layed out. Everything is where you'd expect to find it and the seats are very comfortable for long highway trips.

Suggested Improvements

A tach would be nice.

strange design
By transport owner

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Owned from 90000km, 240000km now. Known intake gasket problem gives its signs only now, when it is 18 years old. The reanimation required at 150000km- I replaced front bearings, ball joints (twice), rad, heater, water pump, struts, headliner, shorted horn, a week ago I welded broken driver seat. And I spray it non-stop. It took 2 years to get used to sideway rocking after 89 Caravan Sport. Motor started humming at 2000 RPM when started cold. I wait when it dies but unfortunately it does not die. There are fuel lines behind the muffler shield. they are impossible to reach / spray. I managed to replace rear passenger side spark plug without taking engine out!

Favorite Features

10.5 L/100 km hwy, 12.5L/ km city but the odometer shows 10% more than road signs. Also Air Conditioner never broke. Aftermarket bearings last 80000km. Playwood 4x8 may be transported inside with some tricks. Spare parts are cheaper than Craisler's but many become discontinued.

Suggested Improvements

Wiper motor relay burns if wipers are frozen. Steering attached half to body (through wheels), half to a motor frame that floats on rubber bushings relatively body, that is why it can not go straight on bumps or during a sidewind. Engine Harness is not secured well before #1 injector.

the best van
By Luc Jacques

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

I had a 3.8 liter engine and I never have had problem with, it's a very very reliable motor so if I hadn't accident last year I should have again this van

Favorite Features

stainless steel exhaust pipe, exterior plastic panel,air suspension, rear light

Suggested Improvements

transmission cooler

92Tport
By scottmid

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport Minivan SE 3dr Minivan

Lowest cost of operation I have ever had in a vehicle.

Good to
By therhino

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport Minivan GT 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used mainly to haul stuff while remodeling the house. The price was right because they depreciate so quickly. [Bought an Odyssey for wife & kids.] I've know at least 5 people with the same van, and these are what we all say: Fuel guage is worthless-has left all of us stranded-out of gas. Rear hatch lever is hard to turn with it's small wing-nut design. Computer has failed all 5 leaving each stranded on highway. Only does about 15mpg. Trip meter is off by 40%. Spare tire frame so rusted, had to break it to get it off for highway flat. Water pump, A/C compressor, radiator, computer - all failed at around 90,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Plastic panels hide underside rust well. This van at least stays looking nice, even if it's constantly breaking down. Seats easy to remove. Totally slid of the road one time due to black ice, spun around 360deg, ended up plowing into the median; drove van away without damage.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to study others' successful vans! Constantly changing designs and renaming cars because of poor reliablilty. Look at how many GM names "disappeared" because they earned a bad taste, while Honda/Toyota reuses names year after year.