1992 Pontiac Trans Sport - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trans Sport model:
strange design
By transport owner on 02/24/10 20:57 PM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

Owned from 90000km, 240000km now. Known intake gasket problem gives its signs only now, when it is 18 years old. The reanimation required at 150000km- I replaced front bearings, ball joints (twice), rad, heater, water pump, struts, headliner, shorted horn, a week ago I welded broken driver seat. And I spray it non-stop. It took 2 years to get used to sideway rocking after 89 Caravan Sport. Motor started humming at 2000 RPM when started cold. I wait when it dies but unfortunately it does not die. There are fuel lines behind the muffler shield. they are impossible to reach / spray. I managed to replace rear passenger side spark plug without taking engine out!

the best van
By Luc Jacques on 07/31/08 15:35 PM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

I had a 3.8 liter engine and I never have had problem with, it's a very very reliable motor so if I hadn't accident last year I should have again this van

the terminator
By lumina driver on 07/31/06 01:06 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

This van has been great so far! Prior to the Lumina I had a Plymouth Grand Voyager. The Lumina has been much more reliable and I prefer it in almost all regards.

Good to
By therhino on 09/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used mainly to haul stuff while remodeling the house. The price was right because they depreciate so quickly. [Bought an Odyssey for wife & kids.] I've know at least 5 people with the same van, and these are what we all say: Fuel guage is worthless-has left all of us stranded-out of gas. Rear hatch lever is hard to turn with it's small wing-nut design. Computer has failed all 5 leaving each stranded on highway. Only does about 15mpg. Trip meter is off by 40%. Spare tire frame so rusted, had to break it to get it off for highway flat. Water pump, A/C compressor, radiator, computer - all failed at around 90,000 miles.

92Tport
By scottmid on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

Lowest cost of operation I have ever had in a vehicle.

12 yr. old good for parts
By minivan mom on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport SE 3dr Minivan

This van has proved very unreliable. I call it Apollo 13 ("What do we have that WORKS?") Engine and tranny have never given us trouble with 94K on it. We have repaired alternator, a/c compressor 3x, throttle, water pump, radiator, computer, brake release handle 5x, heater fan, heater core, pw motors 3x, wheel cylinders, and door handles 2x. This in addition to regular maint. of tires, brakes, shocks, struts, etc. What's still broken? A/c buttons, sliding door (stuck shut), pdl, heater fan (again), horn, and electrical. On the plus side it gives a comfy ride on the hiway, is pleasant to drive, and plastic body is terrific.

Reliable, functional, but ugly
By Farnsworth on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Trans Sport GT 3dr Minivan

I purchased this van with less than 2kk miles on it, and am ready to sell it with 150k miles on it. The only items that I have repalced, is the battery, the ECM, the brakes, and the spark plugs. It doesn't get as good of gas mileage as it used to, but still rides good, handles good, and is very reliable. The black paint on the roof has faded very badly, and the rear controler for the A/C doesn't work.