Used 2009 Pontiac Torrent Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac Torrent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:

2009 Pontiac Torrent 3.4L V6 AWDI have had a Ponti
By David

2009 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a 2009 Pontiac Torrent AWD 3.4 L V6 since 2010. I get 25-28 MPG highway at 60 mph. I live in the country so for city driving I have less data. Going up steep hills hill MPG can drop to 15 MPG. Minimum MPG is 23-24 with no city driving and various driving terrain. Vehicle has 185,000 miles and gets the same good MPG as new. Car has had a new throttle body, new front transaxle, new timing chain, two new intake manifold pressure sensors, new ERG, new battery, and all fluids, plugs, and filters changed at recommended times or more often. Brakes are original and will go to ~210,000 miles. The problems I have seen with the car are a lot to front transaxle wear and rear differential wear. I have had to change those lubricants more than recommended. Also had some automatic transmission shifting issues. The transmission seemed not to be able to make up its mind. The dealership said it was OK on test drive so I fixed it myself by installing new intake manifold pressure sensor (first sensor went bad in 2 months so it took another one before problem was solved). I relayed the info to the dealership and they agreed that was the problem. Vehicle drives great in snow and ice, it has all options; Stabilitrac and traction control. Road noise is high. Buy a quiet all weather tire and it will be better. Overall I would buy this vehicle again. I like the AWD snow and ice driving. I have never gotten stuck.

Great, reliable car/SUV.
By Vic

2009 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Super dependable with a decent ride and nice acceleration. Plenty of room for 5 and lots of cargo space. Rides more like a truck with a stiffer and noisier ride. This SUV is very flexible in that it's a nice family car, yet can also carry large loads (i.e., equipment, tools, lumber, etc). Have thought about trading it in but its just such a nice utilitarian vehicle that I hate to part with it.

Driving it until it dies.
By mollyd

2009 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Originally owned a 2007, traded in for a 2009 AWD when I heard they were stopping the line. I literally walked on the lot, said how much and then started negotiating. This one rides smoother than the 2007. I'm 5 feet tall and not only do I feel safer in an SUV, this one isn't so wide that I feel like I'm driving a bus. The AWD really gets me around in almost impassable snow. We had 13 inches and I didn't have a problem. I really love this car, mechanically I have not had a single problem at 30k+. My biggest challenge is where the front end ends, I always have about 12 inches of freedom I don't know about. Plus, parallel parking isn't tough unless it's a tiny spot. Fuel econ 17/21.

Ability in snow, really decent stock tires, comfortable to drive, adult sized back seat, cargo space, auto tinting rear mirror, size of windshield is huge, dual aux outlets, extra cup holders in the back with a flip down center, love the on wheel controls, and my remote starter.

The arm rest covers the center console and lighter. If you need to charge cell phones or use the lighter, you have to lift the console with cup holders attached. Small storage on dash, great pocket storage and a weird one by your left knee. Blind spots on windshield frame. No Bluetooth.

regretful
By regretful

2009 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

GM says 16/24 mileage,more like 12/19,that's using cruise control, at approximately 70mph never over. It gets even less at 55 mph!what the!? Let up on the gas and it comes to a stop, I mean motor runs but I mean the power just dogs, it's like all power stops going to the drive train? I guess it saves on brakes. It has a horrible turning ratio, didn't notice it on test drive, you need to plan ahead to park. The CD player takes forever to load. If I'd known the gas mileage was going to be this bad, I would've bought a truck or a SUV with 4x4.

Nice forward vision. Acceleration when you need it.Plenty of interior room.It does look sharp...hate to say it after all the negs.,probably why I didn't notice all the negs. in the first place.

Can't it isn't being built anymore, but a back up camera or sensor would be helpful, and probably increased gas mileage or at least be honest and post what it really gets.