2008 Pontiac Torrent Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Pontiac Torrent - Consumer Reviews

2008 Torrent Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:

Sort Reviews by

Stephanie's Torrent
By Stephanie

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Torrent. I went from a little Neon to the Torrent and what a difference. I love sitting up high, it is very comfortable, I love that there is room for my purse (in the middle), it rides very nice and I just LOVE it! My boyfriend loves driving it as well because he has plenty of leg and head room. It has an excellent stereo.

Favorite Features

My favorite thing about my Torrent would be the room that it has. There is so much room in it. I also love that I have room for my purse right next to me instead of putting it in the back or on the floor.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can say that I hate is the placement of the front retractable cup holders in the center of the armrest console. If I have something in the cup holder I can't lift the console up to put anything underneath it.

I love this car/crossover whatever
By Tim S.

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

So nice, so tight. Moves as one unit. No squeeks, no rattle, just solid build. Quiet, with a nice tech sound to the engine. Everything high technology. Seats firm and fitting. Sit high and command a view of the road. About 26 mpg on the road at 65. 55 gets you 28

Favorite Features

Radio is terrific and XM fun. OnStar a nice backup insurance. Big load capacity. Golf clubs, carts, everything else, still roomy. And my favorite: 5 year warranty

Suggested Improvements

None yet

Bill's Torrent
By Bill

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I previously owned a 1998 Old's Bravada and a 2007 Mazda CX9. All of my vehicles have their pluses and minues but I really like the Torrent. The biggest problem I have is with is with the interior design on the Torrent. The cup holders are virtually worthless to use. The stereo system is excellent. The handling affects out on the road are very good - just hope the gas mileage gets better.

Favorite Features

Stereo system, remote start, road handling.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign interior - cup holder's a problem, steering wheel controls seem to be a little small and somewhat confusing.

The best crossover vehicle I've owned
By Walter Conrad

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This will be the third crossover vehicle I have owned the other 2 being Subaru Outbacks a 1997 and a 2002. The Pontiac has it all over them. More power, more room, better styling, better fuel economy all with a lower price tag. The interior on the Pontiac Torrent is very roomy, comfortable and well laid out. Cargo space is huge and versitile because of the sliding rear seat. Fit and finish is outstanding both inside and out. Power from the standard 3.4L V6 is impressive and the 5 speed automatic transmission is smooth shifting and the rest of the drivetrain is also smooth and quiet. Handling, braking and ride quality are top notch as good as I have experienced in vehicles costing much more.

Favorite Features

Inrerior lay out, red lighting on gages and switches, great standard radio/cd, comfortable seats, cargo space/sliding rear seat, handling, braking and ride quality, exterior styling and overall quality of materials/fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

Only one complaint and that is the placement of the front retractable cup holders in the center armrest/console

Strong enough for a man but made for me
By Gail Oldow

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

My husband went on and on about seeing this beautiful vehicle, so we went to test drive it. As soon as I got in and adjusted the seats and realized that I would never again need a pillow to get close enough to the steering wheel, I was in love. And then to top things off,I finally had a place to store my huge purse; the center console lifts up to hold a purse or anything else. And then you can fold the center back down again. For a woman who pays a lot of money for purses, I never have to throw it on the floor, or the back seat, I can have it next to me but neatly stored. Someone was really thinking there. Thank you!

Favorite Features

The Torrent drives like a car and it has a purse holder. Beautiful to look at, too.

Suggested Improvements

I can't imagine anything else I would ever want in a vehicle.I always trade my car in every four years, but I think this one will be lasting for a lot longer.

Highly recommend GXP
By Brad

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is one fast little SUV. The six speed auto tranny helps with fuel enconomy while not hurting performance. The manual mode of the transmission has about a 1 second lag between the time you shift up or down to the time it actually does it. Seats are very comfortable over a long trip.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel radio controls, heated seats, remote start, sliding rear seat

Suggested Improvements

Could really use a better center storage bin. Quicker shifts in manual mode.

Surprisingly good
By gr

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Outstanding space utilization. Back seat is exceptionally roomy. Flat floor. Great fold down rear seat operation. Folds flat with one hand and misses front seats with room to spare. Relatively light (3800 lbs.) for an SUV with this much room. Tows well with 2500 lb. U haul. Rich exterior appearance (silver with 17 inch wheels). Satisfied with build quality.

Favorite Features

Interior space efficiency. XM radio is very entertaining on long trips. OnStar turn by turn navigation an unexpected plus. Fuel economy ranges from 21 to 26. Have touched 30 mpg for long highway stretches at 60 mph. Very satisfied. Towing package includes great wiring connector.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission noise in first gear. Engine pushrod noise at idle. Center console / cupholder / power outlet design mentioned by others is not great.

Owning a 2008 Torrent
By Tommy Torrent

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is fun to drive for my wife, much easier than our previous '03 Explorer. Great ride. The only complaint is the short turning radius.

Favorite Features

The roominess of the back seat area.

Suggested Improvements

Better turning radius. Improve the cup holder spot...cumbersome. Install a cup holder in the dash, on the passenger side. Use non-marking sill plates under the door exterior.