Used 2008 Pontiac Torrent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Pontiac Torrent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:

Great first SUV
By Eric Godat

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Just read the news about Pontiac perhaps going good bye. Sad but this Pontiac Torrent is a rock solid performer and for good value. It is said GM always stops building a car when they got it right. I echo most of the comments above. This is a fun to drive vehicle and handles well for the 3.4L Minor gripes: the cupholder window control, Perhaps a luggage rack bar on top as standard. Back seat room is far superior to all other midsize SUVs. The only problem? My 20 year old daughter now "claims" it as her primary driving vehicle! But such is life when you teach children how to help pick a car( she picked it). But I have fun on my commute motorcycle

Favorite Features

Interior room and seating

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps a bigger center console placed just a bit further to the rear by an inch or two

Like it so much bought a 2nd one
By Mikey

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Actually owned it's cousin the Chevrolet Equinox for 4 years. I love that car. So much so I added a Torrent to the stable. The Equinox and Torrent are fun to drive and I have had zero problems. A little over 20 in the city and 24-26 on the highway MPG. The moving Rear seat is my favorite feature, but the performance of the engine and transmission is as good as the Mercedes I once owned.

Favorite Features

Huge rear seat legroom. Fun to drive. Looks good. I think it's very well built.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder could be improved (very minor) I still reach for the door to roll down the window (Power window switches in the center console)

Love the car, hate the cup holders!
By torrent

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Love the car. Getting in and out is great, the interior is very roomy. Hate the cup holders. I dropped my keys in the open space and it took me an hour to get them out between the seat and the open space. Wish I knew something I could get to replace the cup holders.

Great looking SUV
By Ryan

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is thinking about getting an SUV. This is my first SUV and I love the look and comfort of it. XM radio in the vehicle is a great feature that I can't believe I lived with out before. This is a very roomy vehicle, yet still very sporty looking.

Favorite Features

XM radio! There is something for everyone on XM. Also the space in the vehicle you can move so much in there.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders the one that comes out from the center console is very cheap I swear I am going to break it by looking at it.

Love my Torrent GXP
By JRagan

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my '08 Torrent GXP about a month ago. It is Carbon Black. Mine came fully loaded with DVD entertainment system which included a pair of Panasonic wireless headphones. It also has OnStar and XM raidio. The sound system sounds great and movies really rock coming out of the cars speakers. The wireless headphones sound great and are much much better than I thought they would be. I really like how the 60/40 rear seat can slide almost 8 in. I must say the GXP's 264 hp engine really delivers.It gives you plenty of get up and go and lots of power to tow. I drove mine through the Rocky Mtns towing over 3000 lbs and had no problem on the very steep grades. This is my first SUV and I love it.

Favorite Features

264 hp auto/manual engine, DVD entertainment system, XM radio CD player & speaker system, OnStar, paint & wheels, tow package, sliding rear seat, factory remote start, driver info computer, roof rack, dash apperance and layout, heated seats, upholstery material and color, safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Front power port needs to be closer to the dash (no big deal though). An extra power port in the rear hatch area would be nice for a powered cooler/heater.