2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:
Don't Buy
By tk6227 on 07/11/14 07:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased by Pontiac Torrent in 2011 each year i have had problems. Within the first year the radio went out and the repair is $400. The next year my transmission went out $1500. The next year - when it rains the floors in my back seat get wet and causes and odor. Now i am seeing all these recalls for all these things that are wrong with the car. I called GM and the Dealership on several occassions and they just don't care. i am too far under to even get out of the car into something more reliable.

WOW What else can I say ?
By jackay_boy on 10/14/11 15:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle for several month's now, and look for reasons to take it out and play. All of the ponies under the hood are married perfectly with the 6 speed tranny. I think this 3.6 really puts out like Pontiac said it would. Hope I get to keep my license for as long as I own this beauty, which I have the feeling will be a long time.

Knew What I Was Getting
By czuchster on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

There are some squeaks here and there, especially with the steering wheel, but I read the reviews before I bought the car and I knew what to expect. The only disappointment has been with the gas mileage, which hasn't quite been up to the EPA estimates. Even my Hondaphile and Toyotaphile friends have been impressed with the comfort and looks of my Torrent. On the safety front, I was in an accident three months ago that sent two other drivers to the hospital but I didn't get a scratch, or even feel sore the next day. I can't rave enough. I've looked at trading it in for something with better MPG, but I can't find anything I'd give up for Torrent for.

Love the car, hate the cup holders!
By torrent on 02/25/09 08:57 AM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Love the car. Getting in and out is great, the interior is very roomy. Hate the cup holders. I dropped my keys in the open space and it took me an hour to get them out between the seat and the open space. Wish I knew something I could get to replace the cup holders.

Love my Torrent GXP
By JRagan on 11/19/08 19:17 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my '08 Torrent GXP about a month ago. It is Carbon Black. Mine came fully loaded with DVD entertainment system which included a pair of Panasonic wireless headphones. It also has OnStar and XM raidio. The sound system sounds great and movies really rock coming out of the cars speakers. The wireless headphones sound great and are much much better than I thought they would be. I really like how the 60/40 rear seat can slide almost 8 in. I must say the GXP's 264 hp engine really delivers.It gives you plenty of get up and go and lots of power to tow. I drove mine through the Rocky Mtns towing over 3000 lbs and had no problem on the very steep grades. This is my first SUV and I love it.

Locked up steering and ignition
By dgulrey on 08/04/08 14:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This car has locked up 8 times on us since we bought it in April 2008 I have been told that's the way there designed and that's normal for torrents.

1st month 3000 Kilometers
By Rusty on 05/16/08 09:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Happy with the purchase of my 2008 GXP over all. My wife tells me it's good for grocery shopping. ItÂ’s comfortable to drive and has a good driving height for visibility. No problems driving in rain. Nice looking vehicle. Lots of room to carry all our stuff.

GXP Sleeper
By ACE on 05/04/08 15:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Every Torrent owner I have talked to really likes their vehicle. This GXP is really fast and handles like a sports car. It is so neutral in the corners. When you expect the front end to push, it just digs in & goes round. I am at over 22 mpg now. It has great utility to boot. If you are looking for a vehicle like this, you really owe it to yourself to give it a try. I know of Honda owners who don't get but a 1mpg more in their smaller CR-V and no fun factor at all. Even Scions only get about 23.5 & are slower than molasses.

Highly recommend GXP
By Brad on 01/07/08 16:57 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This is one fast little SUV. The six speed auto tranny helps with fuel enconomy while not hurting performance. The manual mode of the transmission has about a 1 second lag between the time you shift up or down to the time it actually does it. Seats are very comfortable over a long trip.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Pontiac Torrent Gxp in VA is:

$118 per month*