Used 2008 Pontiac Torrent Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Pontiac Torrent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:

Loved Until Recently
By randy394

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my í08 Torrent GXP in 2011 and, up until recently, I have loved it. However, Iíve now had the power steering hose break three times and Iím growing tired of repeatedly fixing it. My battery also died at only 44,000 miles and the all-wheel drive regularly goes out when the temperature dips below zero, which is the type of weather when you mostly need AWD. I love the comfort, look, features, and how the Torrent drives, but Iím now looking at a new car as Iím sick of these mounting piddly issues. I never once had my í04 Malibu 2LT in the shop beyond oil changes in the 7 years, 80K+ miles I owned it.

Features for the price, overall drivability, good visibility for an SUV, decent power

Improve AWD system for cold weather, improve power steering hose quality

Don't Buy
By tk6227

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased by Pontiac Torrent in 2011 each year i have had problems. Within the first year the radio went out and the repair is $400. The next year my transmission went out $1500. The next year - when it rains the floors in my back seat get wet and causes and odor. Now i am seeing all these recalls for all these things that are wrong with the car. I called GM and the Dealership on several occassions and they just don't care. i am too far under to even get out of the car into something more reliable.

Don't buy
By joslin3

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely horrible and because you now must deal with GM they don't want to recall these vehicles because that would cause them to fix a problem that Pontiac created.I have owned one for almost 2 years and I have had nothing but problems,within a month of owning it the radio didn't work, the lock on the drivers door costs 300 to fix because unless you actually try to open it while it is locked you would of never known it doesn't lock, the rear windshield wiper motor went, the wheel bearings are 300 a piece, and because of how they are made it is common for rocks and sticks to get into the cv shaft and cause 200 in damage.Stabilitrak & ABS light constantly on & off.

If you try and talk to GM they will say it is normal wear and tear and refuse to reimburse you anything at all..Just recall the car and offer the customers a GM product. It's better than not taking care of your customers and in the long run you would be creating more business for GM.

WOW What else can I say ?
By jackay_boy

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle for several month's now, and look for reasons to take it out and play. All of the ponies under the hood are married perfectly with the 6 speed tranny. I think this 3.6 really puts out like Pontiac said it would. Hope I get to keep my license for as long as I own this beauty, which I have the feeling will be a long time.

Sound of the throaty exhaust when given the gas. Color of the interior lights very easy on the eyes at night. Lots of get up and go off the line. Lots of interior room. Cool looking exterior with the chrome wheels, and loss of the geeky looking roof rack.

Smaller windshield posts for better vision. Move the cup holders so they can be used.

Knew What I Was Getting
By czuchster

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

There are some squeaks here and there, especially with the steering wheel, but I read the reviews before I bought the car and I knew what to expect. The only disappointment has been with the gas mileage, which hasn't quite been up to the EPA estimates. Even my Hondaphile and Toyotaphile friends have been impressed with the comfort and looks of my Torrent. On the safety front, I was in an accident three months ago that sent two other drivers to the hospital but I didn't get a scratch, or even feel sore the next day. I can't rave enough. I've looked at trading it in for something with better MPG, but I can't find anything I'd give up for Torrent for.

The biggest plus in my book has been the spacious back seat -- when family members who are six-foot-plus pile in the back, they can't believe their knees aren't bumping against the back of my seat. Definitely worth my investment.

Now that Pontiac is gone, that would be pointless, huh?