2008 Pontiac Torrent - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:
Don't buy
By joslin3 on 11/27/13 15:33 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely horrible and because you now must deal with GM they don't want to recall these vehicles because that would cause them to fix a problem that Pontiac created.I have owned one for almost 2 years and I have had nothing but problems,within a month of owning it the radio didn't work, the lock on the drivers door costs 300 to fix because unless you actually try to open it while it is locked you would of never known it doesn't lock, the rear windshield wiper motor went, the wheel bearings are 300 a piece, and because of how they are made it is common for rocks and sticks to get into the cv shaft and cause 200 in damage.Stabilitrak & ABS light constantly on & off.

WOW What else can I say ?
By jackay_boy on 10/14/11 15:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle for several month's now, and look for reasons to take it out and play. All of the ponies under the hood are married perfectly with the 6 speed tranny. I think this 3.6 really puts out like Pontiac said it would. Hope I get to keep my license for as long as I own this beauty, which I have the feeling will be a long time.

Knew What I Was Getting
By czuchster on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

There are some squeaks here and there, especially with the steering wheel, but I read the reviews before I bought the car and I knew what to expect. The only disappointment has been with the gas mileage, which hasn't quite been up to the EPA estimates. Even my Hondaphile and Toyotaphile friends have been impressed with the comfort and looks of my Torrent. On the safety front, I was in an accident three months ago that sent two other drivers to the hospital but I didn't get a scratch, or even feel sore the next day. I can't rave enough. I've looked at trading it in for something with better MPG, but I can't find anything I'd give up for Torrent for.

Concerns with Manufacturing
By Steven Lopez on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2008 torrent and have had several issues go wrong with the SUV! My windshield wipers don't work on low speed, Air conditioner went out a few weeks ago, my back door, passenger side does not lock or unlock with auto unlock! These are just a few of things I have had trouble with right after the warranty went out!

loved it
By lvetzal on 03/08/10 12:30 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

This by far was my favorite car I have owned. I too was recently in a serious collision on a busy highway and walked away without a scratch only because of the vehicle I was driving. It had tons of room handled like a dream and gas wasn't so bad either! The only problem I had was the front wheel bearings went in my first 6 months of owning. But were replaced by my warranty no problem. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Would recommend
By Persy on 01/19/10 12:53 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Bought in Pittsburgh in Feb 2008. Has handled very well in snow and rain! Doesn't have a lot of horsepower - but, that keeps the MPG lower. Some of the inside features are breaking (mirror covers). But, overall a very reliable car, and I drive a LOT.

Great SUV for the price
By SUV love it on 09/07/09 15:28 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV for the price. Love the features and the ride. MPG is combined about 22. Not bad for a SUV of this size with a V6 engine.

best for the money
By Snappy on 07/21/09 09:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a sedan or coupe driver all my life, I also build and drive street rods, but this torrent is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. I always am looking for an excuse to go somewhere. I have looked at other vehicles and it seems to me that this car offers a lot more goodies for the money.

Great first SUV
By Eric Godat on 04/28/09 15:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Just read the news about Pontiac perhaps going good bye. Sad but this Pontiac Torrent is a rock solid performer and for good value. It is said GM always stops building a car when they got it right. I echo most of the comments above. This is a fun to drive vehicle and handles well for the 3.4L Minor gripes: the cupholder window control, Perhaps a luggage rack bar on top as standard. Back seat room is far superior to all other midsize SUVs. The only problem? My 20 year old daughter now "claims" it as her primary driving vehicle! But such is life when you teach children how to help pick a car( she picked it). But I have fun on my commute motorcycle

Like it so much bought a 2nd one
By Mikey on 04/02/09 07:20 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Actually owned it's cousin the Chevrolet Equinox for 4 years. I love that car. So much so I added a Torrent to the stable. The Equinox and Torrent are fun to drive and I have had zero problems. A little over 20 in the city and 24-26 on the highway MPG. The moving Rear seat is my favorite feature, but the performance of the engine and transmission is as good as the Mercedes I once owned.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.