Used 2008 Pontiac Torrent Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Pontiac Torrent - Consumer Reviews

2008 Pontiac Torrent

View reviews for a specific Torrent model:

Good Solid Ride (Whip)
By Michigan Driver

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Torrent used with around 90,000 miles. After a few months I started to have engine power problems transmission problems, losing power, running rough. I also had problems with the stabilitrac and antilock brakes. I went to the dealership and they had no answers or ideas on what the problem was. I did some research and a domino effect of thing were improved by a new egr valve as well as plugs and wires. I did all repairs myself to save hundreds. All the problems went away and I've put 10's of thousands of miles on it with no more issues.

Never buy a GM vehicle again!
By Military Momma

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Has same issue with the blend door actuator as the 06 model for which there is a recall. GM won't do anything for the same issue in the 08. My son is n active duty member of the US Army and can not afford the over $1000.00 repair Bill. Ridiculous!!

Loved Until Recently
By randy394

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought my ’08 Torrent GXP in 2011 and, up until recently, I have loved it. However, I’ve now had the power steering hose break three times and I’m growing tired of repeatedly fixing it. My battery also died at only 44,000 miles and the all-wheel drive regularly goes out when the temperature dips below zero, which is the type of weather when you mostly need AWD. I love the comfort, look, features, and how the Torrent drives, but I’m now looking at a new car as I’m sick of these mounting piddly issues. I never once had my ’04 Malibu 2LT in the shop beyond oil changes in the 7 years, 80K+ miles I owned it.

Features for the price, overall drivability, good visibility for an SUV, decent power

Improve AWD system for cold weather, improve power steering hose quality

Don't Buy
By tk6227

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased by Pontiac Torrent in 2011 each year i have had problems.
Within the first year the radio went out and the repair is $400. The next year my transmission went out $1500.
The next year - when it rains the floors in my back seat get wet and causes and odor.
Now i am seeing all these recalls for all these things that are wrong with the car.
I called GM and the Dealership on several occassions and they just don't care. i am too far under to even get out of the car into something more reliable.

Don't buy
By joslin3

2008 Pontiac Torrent 4dr SUV AWD (3.4L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely horrible and because you now must deal with GM they don't want to recall these vehicles because that would cause them to fix a problem that Pontiac created.I have owned one for almost 2 years and I have had nothing but problems,within a month of owning it the radio didn't work, the lock on the drivers door costs 300 to fix because unless you actually try to open it while it is locked you would of never known it doesn't lock, the rear windshield wiper motor went, the wheel bearings are 300 a piece, and because of how they are made it is common for rocks and sticks to get into the cv shaft and cause 200 in damage.Stabilitrak & ABS light constantly on & off.

If you try and talk to GM they will say it is normal wear and tear and refuse to reimburse you anything at all..Just recall the car and offer the customers a GM product. It's better than not taking care of your customers and in the long run you would be creating more business for GM.